PDA

View Full Version : Mackeral?

J-Dub
04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
when is the best time to fish for mackeral on the sounthern california piers? im more of a freshwater fisherman but from time to time i like to go out to the peirs and cath mackerals but only when i hear from other people catching alot of mackerals out on the peirs...any help is appreciated:Big Grin:

jsl
04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Go now dude. I went to Newport Pier yesterday and it was pretty consistent with lots of folks taking buckets full. Bring some heavier line like 20-30lb, a few 3oz torpedos and a few of the medium to larger Sabiki bait catcher rigs from Walmart and you're good to go. All the mackerel are small at the moment ( 5-7 inches ) so throwing spoons will not be as productive as the aforementioned technique. They bit real well from 5pm till about sundown. Hope this helps.....

Scott

Ifishtoolittle
04-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Man people are keeping 5-7 inchers? That sucks let the poor sabas grow a bit.

smokehound
04-28-2011, 01:26 AM
mackerel are active year-round.

They prefer warmer water, though. They're boiling everywhere right now.

Just bring a cheap medium-action shakespeare combo from walmart. (6-to-ten pound test)

I like to just take the line, put a quarter-oz barrel sinker on, and tie on a hook, no swivels necessary.

You'll be able to cast quite far with this setup/rigging.

I generally catch larger mackerel this way. (Though I generally prefer big fresh sardine over mackerel for shark-fishing)

DockRat
04-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Man people are keeping 5-7 inchers? That sucks let the poor sabas grow a bit.

LOL, There is BILLIONS of Macs, the adult seals eat 20 - 40 lbs a day EACH.

If you want to 'Save the Mackeral' then *** Seals.
I tend to feed the crabs on the rocks a (1) mac .
Crabs gotta eat too. I loaded up on 30 @ 6" - 8" macs last week for shark bait.
Big ones yesterday at JCS KH about 16" - 18"
C&R ed about 20 in a hour.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/KingdomAnimalia/Shark%20Cage%20Diving/IMG_4425.jpg
DR

Ifishtoolittle
04-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Sheit 16"-18" macs?!?! Man I wish I could go to KH right now!

J-Dub
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
thank you for all the information =]

smokehound
04-30-2011, 06:58 AM
mackerel are active year-round.

They prefer warmer water, though. They're boiling everywhere right now.

Just bring a cheap medium-action shakespeare combo from walmart. (6-to-ten pound test)

I like to just take the line, put a quarter-oz barrel sinker on, and tie on a hook, no swivels necessary.

You'll be able to cast quite far with this setup/rigging.

I generally catch larger mackerel this way. (Though I generally prefer big fresh sardine over mackerel for shark-fishing)Also, use frozen squid.. macks love this alot more than sardine or mack strips.