PDA

View Full Version : Mean Mouth Bass

WilPatYo
04-26-2011, 01:13 PM
I was going to ask if anyone has caught these rare hybrids, but a quick use of the search function revealed that they are being caught at DVL. Does anyone have any pictures of the Mean Mouth they've caught to post in this thread?

Mean Mouth Bass (http://www.fishin.com/articles/meanmouth.htm)

fish-o-haulic
04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
I was going to ask if anyone has caught these rare hybrids, but a quick use of the search function revealed that they are being caught at DVL. Does anyone have any pictures of the Mean Mouth they've caught to post in this thread?

Mean Mouth Bass (http://www.fishin.com/articles/meanmouth.htm)

what is it just looked up a picture.

WilPatYo
04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
what is it just looked up a picture.

As explained in the link provided, its a cross between an LMB and SMB, or an SMB and a Spotted Bass.
Are there even Spotted Bass in socal lakes anymore?

WilPatYo
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Also...
There are limits on LMB at DVL, but SMB is catch and release only. I don't endorse taking ANY Bass except Striped, but wonder if there would be legal implications for taking a Mean Mouth. Probably not, but they do look more like Smallmouths IMO. What if DFG wasn't aware(not likely) or couldn't discern the difference? Just curious to hear your takes, FNN...

Like most fisherman, I'm really curious about different species and sub species and think this fish is fascinating. There is very little information out there, especially on Southern California Mean Mouths. There are unsubstantiated rumors that they are more aggressive and fight harder, so I hope we can read testimonials from some of the anglers here.

ddoskocil
04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I have caught a few 1-2 pounders at DVL, sorry no pics. Their color is 75% LMB, with a little SMB greenish brown. Their mouths are closer to a SMB than a LMB. The first one I caught, not knowing anything about them, relly struck me as odd - I just thought it was a LMB with a small mouth. Later, I heard and researched them. I have caught a couple since, and it is obvoius that they are different.

fish-o-haulic
04-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I have caught a few 1-2 pounders at DVL, sorry no pics. Their color is 75% LMB, with a little SMB greenish brown. Their mouths are closer to a SMB than a LMB. The first one I caught, not knowing anything about them, relly struck me as odd - I just thought it was a LMB with a small mouth. Later, I heard and researched them. I have caught a couple since, and it is obvoius that they are different.

they fight good i presume

DarkShadow
04-27-2011, 02:35 PM
A Mean Mouth is a hybrid. A hybrid is not necessarily a Mean Mouth.

Unless DVL has spotted bass, there are no Mean Mouth there.

I like how the article sums stuff up:

"Most anglers will probably never encounter this hybrid due to its low numbers. An “odd” looking smallmouth or spotted bass may not necessarily be a hybrid."

i.e., No, you didn't catch a mean mouth.

WilPatYo
04-27-2011, 05:02 PM
The article, and many others for that matter, clearly states that a Mean Mouth can be a SMB/LMB OR SMB/Spotted Bass hybrid.

WilPatYo
04-27-2011, 05:04 PM
A Mean Mouth is a hybrid. A hybrid is not necessarily a Mean Mouth.

Unless DVL has spotted bass, there are no Mean Mouth there.

I like how the article sums stuff up:

"Most anglers will probably never encounter this hybrid due to its low numbers. An “odd” looking smallmouth or spotted bass may not necessarily be a hybrid."

i.e., No, you didn't catch a mean mouth.

"Early research dealt with hatchery production of a largemouth bass / smallmouth bass hybrid. This was the original “mean-mouth” bass."

fish-o-haulic
04-27-2011, 05:05 PM
The article, and many others for that matter, clearly states that a Mean Mouth can be a SMB/LMB OR SMB/Spotted Bass hybrid.

ya thats what i saw too

DarkShadow
04-28-2011, 01:26 PM

You are absolutely correct. My mistake.

WilPatYo
04-28-2011, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the reply ddoskocil. How was the fight? In an earlier thread someone(sorry, I don't remember the screen name) said their 3 pounder fought like a 6 pounder. Art Berry claims they're tough to get in the boat. Can you verify this?

WilPatYo
04-28-2011, 09:36 PM
You are absolutely correct. My mistake.

No worries DarkShadow. If there is anything I've learned from months of lurking on this site, it's that there is much to be learned. The contributions of those like yourself are appreciated.

TIGHT LINES

smokehound
04-29-2011, 12:41 AM
these hybrids are artificial, LMB and SMB do not breed in the wild.

I don't think california has any.

WilPatYo
04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
these hybrids are artificial, LMB and SMB do not breed in the wild.

I don't think california has any.

Check out the unlikely nest mates in this thread...
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?18608-DVL-05-30-08-What-is-the-correct-name-for-this-fish&highlight=meanmouth

Also, read what Kwin has to say in the same thread.