PDA

View Full Version : 4/25 trip - Summer arrives early to the vine

hooks
04-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Hey Viners,
Arrived at 4:30am after picking up some friends from Nor. Cal.
Counting us, there was 3 cars in the lot until after 5am. At launching time, the air temp. was 47* and the water was 64*. Since my friends are bass snobs (guys who only like to fish bass), I decide to dedicate this trip to the pursuit of the bass. We headed to the flats, inside the tree line to start the day. We flipped almost every bass jig we had (crank baits, plastics in all forms) at them. We fished almost every cove, bush line, and point on the lake. It was cloudy until about 10:30. After the sun came out, it was instantly blazing hot. Water temp. jumped to a trout searing 72* at the surface. A light breeze came up and suddenly it seemed like July instead of April. By 2, I got the guys to drop an anchor along the west shore for lunch. I was finally able to drop a power mouse and float a crawler. At this point, there wasn't a fish to be seen anywhere. I usually at least see fish jumping but seen none today. I did see a few trout floating around the lake though.
I don't think we had a hit all day long. And I didn't see anyone, anywhere with any fish at all.
The cleaning tables were clean and dry at 3 when leaving.
It seems summer has arrived early. With hot weather this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see water temp. jump into the 80s this week. By masters time, a 2 pounder may win the tourny. I wish the summer hours started a little earlier then June. There is probably an epic trout bite going off now after 4pm.
tight lines...

karalm
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Hooks,
As always thanks for the update on temp and catch. Its going to be hot tomorrow but cool a little by Fri/Sat but it amazes me that no major bass bite has blown open with the water now in their temp zone. I know that the lake insists that its pre and post spawn and that their all over but there was no bite explosion as last year for even the little guys. Will be interesting for the masters as you say because its warming fast and those trout except for guys that have downriggers will be the ones to capture the title.

hooks
04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah,
last Monday, I didn't get anything until the deep water troll bite kicked in at the end of the day.
I didn't bring my normal lead core or heavy line pole with my friends along for this trip. We did troll for about 2 hours. I added an egg sinker on my pole but it didn't help.
I'm ready for some catfishin' anyhow. I may end up at somewhere like the sand trap (SARL) for awhile until the Vines summer hours kick in. The trap sucks but at least I can night fish there.
tight lines....

whopperstopper
04-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I was there on 4/26 fishing for bass only and managed to get 6 and missed a few all on dropshot robo's...nothing over 2.5 lbs... the lake really look nice this time of year when its full and there tons of submerged trees and brush...water temp was 65 in morn and almost 70 when I left bout 1:30.. saw alot of fry but hardly any bass.. except the one's that flashed on a chatter bait I was throwing and I took it from them..It look so good I'm gonna go on thursday.. wanted to go to Dvl but xspensive for a solo boater..I did meet "kewly" a nice guy and got one of his cards... any you guy's from the O.C wanna hook up and fish the back...BASS,GAS or GRASS,...nobody rides for free...lol

-mike
04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
The bass bite has been a little tough for me too. I've been fishing Irvine out of the rental boats about once a week. The big bass are in deeper water I think. Last Friday I caught two 4.5 pounders in about 15-20 ft

Whopperstopper, I'll cover your gas expenses and launch fee to fish from the back of your boat. I'm tired of fishing out of the little rental boats. I'll send you a PM

hooks
04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
:Beer Toast:
:Fishing Catch: :Dancing Banana:

karalm
04-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Whopper,
See my note too in your inbox if interested