PDA

View Full Version : Need a guide for early May trip!

laserbrn
04-25-2011, 06:42 AM
I am looking for a guide for Castaic or Pyramid. I know spring is usually a busy season and it may be hard to get on a boat. I have a friend with a birthday coming up and I want to take him out with a guide so we can gather some knowledge and have a great day of fishing.

chansen49
04-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Hit up Bob, aka T/O.. Never had a bad time with him..

ThatKidCASH
04-25-2011, 11:16 AM
SD Dave is phenomenal as well. Super cool dude with a lot of knowledge to share about both Castaic Lake and the Lower Lagoon.

Slick Rick
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
For what kind of fish? Some of the guides seem more focused on certain fish then others. Like Stripers or LMB.

-Rick

SDDave
04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
It's pretty easy , Figure out what type of fishing you want to do, look at the seasonal reports that the guides on the board post, the sponsored guide's on FNN have there websites and contact info on the top and side banners.
look them over, contact who might work out best for your needs and book a date...

Btbdodgers
04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
you will not be dissapointed if you go with SDDave.

laserbrn
04-26-2011, 05:28 AM
I would agree that usually I think that this would be an easy thing, but I think everyone has noticed that there's been a lack of reports recently and obviously thus far this year the fishing has been slow. Particularly for stripers. I was hoping to get feedback maybe from past customers of the guides and/or guides themselves with information about the current fishing and whether it would be better to hold off for a week or two or if things are going famously and I should get it booked. I wasn't sure if it's completly unrealistic to book this time of year because all weekends are booked until August, or if it's a great time, slots are open come on down kind of thing.

Thanks for any info and/or experiences.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-16-2011, 05:56 PM
again this all revolves round the type of fish and size class you wish to target...

Castaic has been slow as of late for both striper and LMB but is way due for the switch to flip...

as for pyramid...many stripers and some LMB to be had but no trophy class fish are active right now...

I'm not gonna make any specific guide recomendations at this point, that will have to be your call, I don't want to walk on anybodies toes..

if you want my personal thoughts I'd book for the later part of this month when both lakes have a larger grade fish active pattern (theoretic prediction).

Either lake has potential for a good day on the water in that time period !
bottom line...get out there though....get YO FISH ON !

Good luck !
Gary

laserbrn
05-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I ended up going out with TO and had a great time. I will say that I am eager to get out with Dave as well. I see he has done well as of late and I'm willing to learn as much as I can from as many as I can. Over the coming years I can see a lot of guide trips at various lakes and various times of year with various guides.

For those on the fence about whether to go out with a guide or if the money is worth it...

The week before I went out with TO I caught one fish in 2 days of fishing Pyramid. This was becoming pretty common.

Then I went out with TO...

Since this trip I've been able to find and catch fish on every trip and the boat average is quickly approaching double digits. The difference is night and day and I haven't spent $$ on fishing better yet. After the money spent on a boat, and annual passes, various trips, baits, lures, tackle, gear, etc. this was the best $$$ yet and it wasn't the obvious one!

For the past few weeks I haven't felt completely lost out there and I feel confident that I'm coming home with fish. When that feeling goes away and the frustration sets back in....I'll be back on the line for a trip.

That's enough of my endorsement.