PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Rockfish 4/23/11

Jackpot Jimmy
04-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Capt. Steven wanted to try a different area today so we headed down the coast to try it out. At our first spot we had a pick at some sizable copper and brown rockfish, but only a few came up so we moved on. The next spot produced some “steamer sized” reds but it wasn’t steady fishing and we only picked a few. Next we hit a spot that produced several fat sculpin and a few reds. By this time the wind was increasing so we headed out to deeper water.

We drifted over a few areas of hard bottom until the drift was so fast we would drift a quarter mile in no time. Over the course of these drifts we picked up several nice bocaccio, reds, and others including chilipeppers, boscos, and honeycombs. Afterward we headed inside a little bit to anchor up as drifting was now out of the question. Here we picked up some more bocaccio and several nice honeycomb rockfish.

The wind made it a little tough today but we picked an assortment of rockfish enough for tacos for the guys who came out today. Personally I’m just about tired of rockfishing. I would love for some calicos to bite soon if we can get a stretch of good weather. The water today before the wind was in the low 60s so hopefully that time won’t be long. Stay tuned…

Tunaslam
04-24-2011, 06:06 AM
What, none of your usual great pic's Jimmy? Thought about giving you a holler and joining you today on the Tradition, however, the wife and I went to the Colosium to watch the USC spring game, given the forecasted wind for Sat. you did well!
Hook up!
Cory

Jackpot Jimmy
04-24-2011, 07:05 AM
What, none of your usual great pic's Jimmy? Thought about giving you a holler and joining you today on the Tradition, however, the wife and I went to the Colosium to watch the USC spring game, given the forecasted wind for Sat. you did well!
Hook up!
Cory

Somedays I'm not in the mood to take pictures, but I'm always in the mood to write. The forecast was actually wrong for the morning - the morning was pretty calm, but the wind did increase, but then it decreased by the time we anchored up in the afternoon after the drifts.

That would be fun for you to come out, shoot me a PM when you can!

murrieta angler
04-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Hey Jimmy,
Seems like a nice session of rockfishing.
I'm with you about the rockfishing, I'm ready for the big boys to come here and play. I read the S.D. reports and saw they brought in 24 more nice YT's, but they were on the 1 1/2 day boat.
It lloks like this might be a very good weather week.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

ghetto dad
04-25-2011, 10:53 AM
great report Jimmy...yeah i know about not being in mood to take pics, lol

GD

JapanRon
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi jackpot jimmy,

Almost as good a report as one wishes to make on Rockfishing !! What ......... No pics .... even for the general atmosphere !?

Someday we're gonna fish for and catch some REAL fish ! Oops ..... Tunaslam .... didn't mean it THAT way ! :)

JapanRon