PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Creek Area Pre-Opener Conditions Report 4-23-11

Sierra_Smitty
04-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Copy and pasted from my website but I figured some folks on here would find it helpful.

Peace,
Smitty

4-23-11
Fishmas Nears!
Well folks, its been a very long and snowy winter but spring is now upon us, which means it's fishing time! The General Trout Season Opener for all waters in the Inyo & Mono county area is Saturday April 30th - exactly one short week away.

Because nobody has been allowed to fish yet we don't have a fishing report per say, but here is a report on the conditions one week out from the opener.

South Lake - Ice conditions at South Lake are thus far unclear – no reports of anyone drilling through the ice to test its thickness – but if years past are any indicator, there will be ice fishing at South Lake this season. As always, we urge anyone looking to ice fish to use extreme caution – its not worth injury or worse to catch a limit of trout.

Southern California Edison is doing some work at the South Lake dam this spring, which is very fortunate for folks looking to wet a line up at South lake this opener because unlike most years, SCE has cleared the road of snow the entire way up to the lake. Before you get your hopes up too high, unfortunately the road will still be closed to public vehicle traffic at just above Parchers Resort – there simply isn’t enough parking up there to accommodate everyone. Thankfully, the usual 1 mile post-holing hike in the snow will be a relatively easy stroll along a snow-less paved road to reach the lake.

South Fork Bishop Creek - Snow levels below the 8500ft mark are actually quite modest and access to the creek in these areas should be excellent. Above that elevation the snow begins to deepen with drifts anywhere from a 18" in some places to 6ft or more in others. While working at Parchers on Friday 4/22/11 we watched the DFG stock the South Fork Bishop Creek. We're not exactly sure how far up the creek they put fish in but it would be reasonable to assume that they were able to stock the usual holes from Weir Pond on down.

Lake Sabrina - The road is clear and is expected to be open to the public for the fishing opener. The lake level is uncharacteristically high for this time of year and the ice looks great. Again, anyone looking to ice fish Sabrina should use extreme caution.

North Lake - Rumor has it that the county will try and clear the road to the lake but that is an unconfirmed report as of yet.

Middle Fork Bishop Creek - No Report

pcuser
04-24-2011, 06:44 AM
There's another post saying South Lake will be closed until sometime in June for dam repairs. Anybody know which it is or the details if both have merit?

Sierra_Smitty
04-24-2011, 08:07 AM
There's another post saying South Lake will be closed until sometime in June for dam repairs. Anybody know which it is or the details if both have merit?

You're referring to an article published in the Inyo Register, which was basically a press release from the US Forest Service Mono Basin district....that press release was about as innaccurate as you could possibly be....we're not even in the Mono Basin District. The only detail they were right about is that Socal Edison has secured funds to stock about 5k worth of Alpers trophies in South Lake as a public relations move because the lake will be low for a couple weeks longer than usual.

Edison is working on resurfacing the dam, in fact they've been working on that project for weeks, but aside from limiting vehicle access for the opener and part of May (the road usually wouldn't be open until Memorial day anyway on a big winter like this) there will be no impact to access - in fact the reality is that people would be having to hike on snow to get to the lake if Edison hadn't already cleared the road. The plan is to open the parking lot at South Lake sometime before Memorial Day weekend. Access by foot is not and will not be restricted in any way, nor will fishing access.

I hope that clears that up.

Jared Smith
GM Parchers Resort...and the guy who's feeding and lodging the Edison crew working on the dam.

spongecliff
04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Jared. How does the Four Jeffrey campground look right now? Is there access to drive up and camp? Thanks.

Joshua
04-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Jared. How does the Four Jeffrey campground look right now? Is there access to drive up and camp? Thanks.

I was up there a couple weeks ago and it looked pretty clear Still some snow in the shaded spots. For as much snow that there has been this winter, the snow is melting fast.
I would be shocked if it wasnt open for th Trout opener. If they dont , it is a funding issue, not a weather issue
I used to camp at Four Jeffrey for the opener and it has always been open.

Sierra_Smitty
04-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Very little snow at Four Jeffrey....just don't know if the USFS will open it or not. Conditions are pretty sweet really....seen a lot worse in years past. Should be a great opener...I'll be on South Lake chasing the big one.