PDA

View Full Version : Irvine 4/22 Report

-mike
04-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Hey guys. I fished Irvine today for bass. I rented a boat and was on the water at 6:45. They had a line of yellow buoys blocking access to the Santiago Flats. It looked like there was some boat racing or something going on over there. I'm not sure how much longer access to the flats will be restricted but they've had those yellow buoys there for about a week now. I heard they are also doing some filming over there.

I brought two rods today. A jig rod and the other for texas rigs. For the first couple hours I strugged. I didn't catch my first bass until 10:15am. But she sure was a beauty! She weighed 4lb 3oz on my digital scale. I got her on a texas rigged lizard about 15 feet deep. I cast out and she bit before my lizard even hit the bottom. I snapped two quick photos of her before releasing her.

I caught my 2nd bass on a jig at 10:45. This one was smaller. It weighed 1 lb 8oz.

My 3rd and final bass was another very nice one. It was 4lb 6oz. Very similar in size to the first one but it fought way harder! It buried itself in some weeds but I was finally able to get her to the boat. I took two pictures of this one too. I wasn't able to get any more bites after catching fish #3.

Today was kind of a weird day in that I only caught 3 bass but two of them were over 4 lbs. I was casting out into deep water and retrieving uphill into shallower water

dfisher
04-22-2011, 08:28 PM
very nice! What part of the lake were you fishing at? What colors were you using?

Thanks for the report!

-mike
04-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I caught all 3 of them at Rocky Point. I was using green pumpkin football jigs and trailers. The lizard was green pumpkin too. It seems like I never get any bites during the first couple hours and then around 10:00 I start to catch them. I wonder if the bass are suspended in the water column early in the morning and don't relate to the bottom until the sun comes out? Just a theory i dunno

dfisher
04-23-2011, 02:32 AM
They probably move down as the sun comes out for cooler temps..

Thanks for the info!

karalm
04-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Nice report, Thanks for the pics.