PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood Miller Canyon Hike-in Trout Fishing 4/21

Natural Lefty
04-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I am pretty sure a lot of you remember when you could drive down Miller Canyon all the way to the parking lot near the inlet to the lake. The road was washed out a few years ago in the heavy rains that year, and the road has never been repaired. There is a locked gate near the beginning of the road. It also tells people to have an "Adventure Pass" if they park there.

My history of fishing Miller Canyon goes all the way back to almost the time Silverwood was opened. Actually, there was no road down there in the beginning, so my father and I found a trail which went down there. It was actually an old fire road, and it wound up near the inlet to the lake. We used to catch good size "pinky trout" there this time of year when we hiked down, mostly my dad since I tended to fiddle around trying to catch panfish the way I do. :Rolls Eyes: I remember the hike was pretty steep although it wasn't all that far. After the road was opened, it was much easier to get there, but the fishing pressure was far greater so the fishing wasn't really as good. Most of the holdover "pinky trout" were caught very quickly, with not much but stockers left to fish for, and maybe a few Bass and panfish.

I had the bright idea yesterday to head down to the Miller Canyon inlet the way my dad and I used to, figuring there would be some good holdover trout fishing if any of them survived all the predators in the lake. After lunch, first, I headed toward Silverwood, but stopped to pick up an Adventure Pass at the gas station by the Silverwood turnoff intersection (the gas station on the northwest side). Next, I headed for the Miller Canyon road to make sure that the road was still closed, which it was. While I was there, I checked out the creek, which supposedly is being stocked but it looked fishless. There is really good water flow in the creek and it looks beautiful -- not sure why there aren't more fish in it unless it dried up last summer and they haven't stocked it.

Anyway, my next task was to locate the trail down to the lake. Since it had been so long, I wasn't sure where it was. After driving back and forth a bit, going to several diffrerent turnouts, I located it (I think). I parked near the start of the old road, and started walking down it. I saw 2 cars which had gone a little ways down the road, before it got too bad to drive down. (I don't think either of them had an Adventure Pass although I am pretty sure you are supposed to there.) The road had a small creek flowing down it and got quickly worse and worse. I started to wonder if it was the actual way my dad and I used to go. There was an intersection a ways up the road and I had gone left which looked like it headed down to the lake, but I decided to check out the road to the right after getting a bad feeling about the one I was on. The road to the right only went uphill though, so back downhill I went. After crossing a creek, the now trail turned really sketchy, steep, slippery and overgrown. After slipping on the steep sandy slope and falling on my backside, I decided to find a different way down to the lake. I went back up the trail a ways, and noticed a fisherman's trail which headed straight down the mountain. Oh well, it looked a lot better than the washed out, and now unused old fire road, so down it I went, taking lots of sissy-like baby steps down the steep, slippery slope which goes at something like a 30-45 degree angle all the way down, even steeper in some spots.

After all that rigamarole, I soon made it down to an old picnic area in the Miller Canyon inlet area. I saw a place where you could fish the lake between the trees to the left, but decided to head for the inlet to the right. The creek was really high, flowing over the road at quite a clip, and the lake was at full pool, as high as I have ever seen it. I made my way down south side of the creek to the lake, and found a fishable spot amongst all the rocks and vegetation (the only fishable spot I could see in the area). There, I quickly saw what I had wanted to see -- lots of good size Trout. A couple of them must have been 2-3 pounds, in fact, with most around a pound, and a few smaller ones.

The bad news is that they didn't want to bite on anything. I tried redworms, salmon eggs, my Adams fly from last week, a Kastmaster, and nightcrawlers all to no avail. I thought about using power bait but didn't think they would bite that either. It didn't matter what size line I was using either. They even spurned my bait when it was on 2 pound line. Sometimes, a fish would clearly swim up to a worm and look it over, but not bite. That was the closest I was able to get to drawing a bite there. The fish might have been more willing to bite, and less visible, farther down the lake -- this was very close to where the creek goes in -- but I could not see any other openings in the jungle of trees, brush, poison oak, and steep jumble of smooth rocks in the area, so I stayed in the same area. It was kind of entertaining just to see the beautiful Trout swimming around, anyway. I think they were doing Trout-style dating and preparing to spawn, or perhaps have just finished spawning. There should be a good crop of baby Rainbows there, if they can survive the gauntlet of predators at Silverwood. I saw evidence of other people having fished there recently, so I think they had spooked the fish before I got there.

Eventually, I decided to go up the creek a bit and try any possible holding areas for Trout with worms. The first spot I tried, I felt something bite-like, but wasn't sure with all the vegetation and rocks in the water. My worm disappeared, so I put on another, and this time, after dipping it in the pool, there was a Trout on the hook, a nice holdover looking one about 14 inches long, finally! After landing it, I went back to the same spot, and caught another one, but this one looked stockerish and was only about 10 inches long. I kept trying the creek for awhile with no more bites, and finally gave up. I went to the spot I had seen by the lake where the trail first comes down for awhile. By this time, it was about 6 p.m. I saw a couple of large splashes in the area while I was there, but nothing bit on worms or the Kastmaster. Maybe the splashes were Stripers or large Bass going after Trout.

By that time, it had gotten to be about 6:20, and although the fishing might have gotten better around sunset, there was no way I wanted to climb back up the mountain in the dark, so I left. The trail back up was one of the steepest I have ever been on, and I was pretty much panting all the way up. I would stop every couple of minutes, but only for a few seconds. By 6:35, I made it back to my car, very grateful to be back and to have at least managed the 2 trout I caught from the stream, both of which I kept and carried back in my net. (By the way, both of them were bleeding when I caught them.) I drank my Powerade and left. I thought about fishing the creek going into Cleghorn, but there were no parking signs all around there, and I thought about fishing Cleghorn cove, but it was getting late and I was still feeling tired from my hike even though the weather was cool, so I headed home.

We already ate them for lunch, and it turned out the smaller one was apparently a recent stocker, which is pretty disappointing considering the location. The other one was apparently a stream resident, a holdover with a nice natural flavor from eating insects etc. but white meat, not the great-tasting pink-meated trout I was hoping for. Still, it was an interesting adventure, even if not quite the one I was hoping for.

FSHNLIC
04-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I do believe they stocked Miller Cyn Creek either this week or last

diamondbear
04-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I moved to san berdo. in 1980 and started fishing silverwood/ miller cyn. for trout , when there were big brown trout being caught [ tail end of that era ] but used to walk on old trail down in millers off and on from the outlet area to back into millers , we used to walk and cast for big stripers at night , it didn't matter to me if I caught anything , we did but not all the time , an adventure just for trying . I bet it was fun just to go back into time and remenence on old times with your dad . Thanks for posting . //db

qbi2001
04-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Cool report sounds like a good day regardless. I'm planning on heading to silverwood tomorrow and take the kayak up the creek to see what wants to play.

teejay
04-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Enjoyed the report Lefty. Even though it's practically in my back yard, I haven’t been up there for awhile. I used to park at the gate in Miller and ride my bike in.

Troutman65
04-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Nice report Lefty. I enjoyed reading it . Congrats on your catch .

tacklejunkie
04-23-2011, 05:04 AM
Doh! Secrets out lol.
Good fishin' back there. That's where I started up again.
They usually stock the creek coming in the end. Sometimes it dries up though, depends on how much water I think that year or if the DFG man decides it looks fishy enough.

I seen them roll up and shovel tons of trout at the top near the gates one day and proceeded to C&R 200 fish..
sheesh was that four years ago already?!

fishfinder
04-23-2011, 09:19 AM
there are a couple creeks that flow in on the otherside of the lake that produce well too. next time try sherbert lip ripperz. they work very well for me.

Natural Lefty
04-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Fishfinder, I think my dad and I went to the inlet area on the northeast side of the lake once and caught a couple of trout. That's also hike-in, at least for me. I think the creek in Miller Canyon is the biggest inlet to Silverwood, though, so I guess it holds the most trout.

Fishnlic, I think they were supposed to have stocked there, which I think is up by the bridge near the junction with the main highway, but I checked and saw no fish around there, plus that is something like 2 miles upstream from where I was fishing. This is the place Tackle Junkie is talking about, where I have caught stockers in the creek before. It usually has a bunch of them. The stocker I caught on Friday probably swam up from the lake, though.

Diamondbear, I am glad you appreciated the memory lane aspect of my trip. Some things had changed, but much of it looked familiar.

Teejay, I thought about how convenient it would be to ride a bicycle down the road. It could even be ridden through the creek crossings, but I don't even have a bicycle, plus maybe part of the road has been washed out. Is the road still okay all the way down, and if so, why did they close it?

qbi and Troutman, it was a good day nonetheless, kind of funny with all the misadventures. I have decided that I should have crossed the creek, gone to the old parking lot, and looked for a fishing spot near there where the trout couldn't see me so easily, although that side also looked pretty overgrown with the high water. If I go again, I plan to go to that side and check it out.

Natural Lefty
04-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Correction: I meant Thursday instead of Friday. I went there Thursday. The edit function never seems to work for me on this site, by the way. :Sad:

Ifishtoolittle
04-23-2011, 01:49 PM
A very descriptive and vivid report. WTG out there Natural Lefty!

Skyler
04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Lefty, if you want to know the secret technique for getting those big spawners in the inlet to bite, hit me up via pm. I have fished that inlet for spawners for several springs, and have 'em pretty well dialed in. The worms and spinners are almost useless. The best approach is a rather old-school one, he he. Thanks for the report.

Skyler
04-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Doh! Secrets out lol.
Good fishin' back there. That's where I started up again.
They usually stock the creek coming in the end. Sometimes it dries up though, depends on how much water I think that year or if the DFG man decides it looks fishy enough.

I seen them roll up and shovel tons of trout at the top near the gates one day and proceeded to C&R 200 fish..
sheesh was that four years ago already?!

Isn't that where I met you? Man, those were the days. I was thinking of heading to Perris to kayak tomorrow, but now I'm thinking about breaking out the mountain bike and heading down the canyon.

castle
04-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Lefty, try that little stream that comes out of the Lake Gregory dam near that fire station.

Natural Lefty
04-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Castle, that's a good idea. I fish Gregory sometimes but usually not the dam area. You know that is the same stream, do you not? I think it's actually called the East Fork of the Mojave River, and it flows down into Miller Canyon and Silverwood. Do they always let water out of Gregory?

Ifishtoolittle, Yeah, I think I am growing some new muscles in my thighs after that hike. It was a sort of an adventure, actually.

Skyler, I am interested in your technique. You are correct about the worms and spinners being useless, but I remember fish being pretty cooperative there before, a little father down the lake where it's a bit deeper and wider and the fish can't see you.

teejay
04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Teejay, I thought about how convenient it would be to ride a bicycle down the road. It could even be ridden through the creek crossings, but I don't even have a bicycle, plus maybe part of the road has been washed out. Is the road still okay all the way down, and if so, why did they close it?

Lefty, I parked at the Miller entrance today and fished down all the way to lake. At the group camp, a trail parallels the creek for the most part and goes all the way down to the lake inlet. This trail has overgrown in spots and has some deadfall that you have to climb under or over. On the way out, I took the upper road back to where my car was parked.
I noticed two sections where rock and mud had probably covered the road. However, these sections had been cleared and k-rails installed. The road is in bad need of resurfacing but is certainly passable. I’m not sure if they will ever reopen it though. I think the main issue is that once you get to the end of the road, there’s simply not enough parking to handle the weekend crowds.
Going down canyon on the road would be a piece of cake on a bike. I actually used to be able to ride out as well, but I’m pretty sure that would now be a struggle for me.
I saw a lot of good pocket water on my hike today but didn’t have the same luck as you in catching anything

tacklejunkie
04-28-2011, 09:30 PM
You gotta hit a bit further out from the creek.. into where it opens up to the lake some. That creek is usually void of scaled life in the aquatic form unless fresh stocking or very few lake fish. Hardly any go through the stagnant portion of the lake to get to the actual creek inlet due to the lack of oxygen in that shallow water. They'd much rather sit on an incline on the edge of the inlet shallows to the main lake. More oxygen and better escape chances than being pinned in my the largies that roam the shallows back there.

seal
04-29-2011, 08:46 AM
They stocked Wednesday. They drop a load into the pool by the road and in a couple more spots down the creek, but by far the majority of the fish are actually dropped in the lake. Miller is actually on a Supervisor ordered close and walk in fishing is not supposed to be allowed, but I do it and everybody else does it and they stocked the creek so not sure why they are still publicizing the closure. I think it had to do with trees falling from fire damage.

tacklejunkie
04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Should be like shooting fish in a barrel if they stocked the top.

seal
04-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Should be like shooting fish in a barrel if they stocked the top.

Not as many as usual, last stock the fish were gone within a few days. I actually use to get natives right in that little pool on the fly, but from a couple years of the creek drying up those days are gone, hopefully we will keep water in Miller for a while.

Oh and yea I'd hit the creek that flows out of Gregory and empties into Miller creek if I were you guys, I think it might be called Houston creek?

Natural Lefty
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Teejay, thanks for the info. and sorry you didn't catch any. There are not many fish in the creek except just upstream from the lake or by the bridge near the locked gate, due to the creek periodically drying during the summer of the fall. However, when there is year around water, I think there are some fish in it. Like Seal, my father and I have actually caught wild fish in the same pool where they are stocked when the water has been running year around.

So they could open the road but don't. Seal says the place is supposed to be closed but I would expect to see signs about that if it were true, and there are no signs. I recall Miller Canyon being closed a couple of times due to Bald Eagles nesting there though. I recall that there was a pretty good size parking lot at the end of the road, so I doubt that's it. Maybe they don't want too much activity bothering the wildlife, or people having burnt tree trunks falling on them. The trees where I was looked fine though.

Tackle Junkie was correct that the best bet for catching fish would be to go to where the lake is getting a little broader, where the fish can't see you. Where I was, it was about 30-50 feet wide, 5 feet deep, very clear, and Io think the fish had been pre-spooked, but there were a lot of them. I don't think they avoid the immediate area around the inlet, but they are harder to catch because they can see you easily. I think it's better where the lake is about 100 feet wide of so, and a little deeper. The water was so high, it was up in the brush and trees, so I am not sure there were any open spots in that area. The second place I went to was too far from the inlet, I think, where the lake was about 300 feet wide at least, and nothing bit when I was there. The Trout in Silverwood are living a dangerous life for sure with all the big mommy Largemouths and big momma Stripers in there that are after them, but there are still quite a few Trout in there.

Natural Lefty
04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Castle, Seal, I assume you have fished the outlet of Lake Gregory. How is it, and where is it? I asked because I tried to check it out late yesterday, after 7 p.m. I parked on the dam and made my way down the face of the dam which is steep but forested and not too hard to negotiate. I didn't see any water issuing from the bottom of the dam, although the lake is completely full and spilling over the spillway and down a long cement chute next to a paved road behind a locked gate. There were picnic tables down there, strangely enough. It looked like the creek headed to the northwest, on the far side of the fire station from where I was. Since it was getting late, I didn't go all the way down to the creek. This was after fishing Boulder Bay at Big Bear, which truly sucked. Don't believe the reports about the great fishing at Big Bear. Although I am sure the reports here were truthful, the people who didn't catch anything or didn't catch much didn't post reports. I have never caught any fish at Big Bear until late May at the earliest, myself, including trout. The lake is really pretty now, but not worth the long drive for the fishing I saw.

Natural Lefty
04-29-2011, 12:34 PM
One more p.s. Seal, you are correct about the name of Lake Gregory's outlet. I checked the map, and it is called Houston Creek. It also says that at the lake. It joins the East Fork of the Mojave River farther down, and the creek which flows into Silverwood at Miller Canyon is the East Fork of the Mojave.

seal
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM
If you check Silverwoods website they have a statement about Miller canyon being closed and at the main entrance of Cleghorn there is also a little blurb. If you walk down from Silverwood via Black Oak Canyon parking lot the trail is chained off and there is a closed sign but you can just walk right over it or around it.

I believe this is more a cover your butt issue than a real "closure", all I'll say is at this point is that they are not really enforcing the closure. We'll see if they open the group campgrounds like they have the last several years eventhough the road next to the group camp road remains gated. It partly has to do with infrastructure damage from the fire that has yet to be completed, from what I hear the money's that were allocated to fix it were re-directed to the Katrina cleanup. I would like it to stay that way, keeps some of the party knuckleheads out. They always close that road anyway during the winter due to Bald Eagle habitat concerns.

teejay
04-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Lefty, Seal,
I just spoke with a young lady at the park office on the phone about the info posted on the park web site about the supervisor's closure of Miller Canyon. She told me that Miller is closed to vehicles but that you are currently allowed to hike in. She also told me that the park has no immediate plans to open the road to vehicles -no funding available for repairs.
I didn't ask her about the status of the group campground. I assume that they probably just open that gate to accomadate a group with a reservation. The water in the group site is on.

seal
04-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Lefty, Seal,
I just spoke with a young lady at the park office on the phone about the info posted on the park web site about the supervisor's closure of Miller Canyon. She told me that Miller is closed to vehicles but that you are currently allowed to hike in. She also told me that the park has no immediate plans to open the road to vehicles -no funding available for repairs.
I didn't ask her about the status of the group campground. I assume that they probably just open that gate to accomadate a group with a reservation. The water in the group site is on.

It all depends on who you talk to Teejay, the hiking trail is blocked off, it is not a road. This is the statement from the SRA website.

Miller Canyon - Superintendent Closure to entry! DO NOT ENTER by land routes."

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=650

But it really is not enforced. I'm out there almost everyday and hike back to Miller often. I wouldn't do it if I thought it would bother the Rangers.

Natural Lefty
04-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Teejay, Seal, Thank you for the information. It seems to me based on what both of you found out, that the area is open to hike-in people but not cars, although the group campground situation is confusing. Maybe they do open the gate for people with reservations. Also, the road still needs repairs on the way to the lake, but no money for that at this time. A strange thing I noticed was that there is a pier in Miller Canyon a ways to the west of where I was, on the north side of the lake. I think there was even a person on it, and a dirt road near it. I don't know what that's all about, but it could be a good fishing spot if you can get to it.

seal
04-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Teejay, Seal, Thank you for the information. It seems to me based on what both of you found out, that the area is open to hike-in people but not cars, although the group campground situation is confusing. Maybe they do open the gate for people with reservations. Also, the road still needs repairs on the way to the lake, but no money for that at this time. A strange thing I noticed was that there is a pier in Miller Canyon a ways to the west of where I was, on the north side of the lake. I think there was even a person on it, and a dirt road near it. I don't know what that's all about, but it could be a good fishing spot if you can get to it.

That pier and the facilities around it (bathrooms, picnic area) is new as of last year. The road you see is the road from the top next to the group campgrounds, that is the best trail to take down to get to the lake. You went the other side of the creek and it's a rougher hike, take the other road next time and you can walk right ot that pier.

Funny that they had the money to build the pier and facilities but not to fix the road, makes you wonder????

Natural Lefty
04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Seal, I know about the paved bike path from Black Oak. That sign sounds pretty serious, but I have noticed a lot of signs are often out of date, like the signs telling you to put back any Corvina under 18 inches at the Salton Sea. It would be a miracle to catch any Corvina there these days, regardless of size. I thnk there are even books still being published that talk about how good the Corvina fishing is there.

I am not sure which road you mean in the latest post is the easier one. Do you mean the main road straight down the creek (East Fork Mojave) which has a locked gate, which is about a 2 mile hike I think, or some other road? It is weird that they were able to build all those facilities last year in such a secluded place, but didn't have funds to fix the main road.