PDA

View Full Version : Got me a 14ft aluminum boat

KILLA
04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Question for you guys, I have a 14ft aluminum boat that has no title or registration, if it only has a trolling motor can I still launch it at perris/pudd?

Socal Bassman
04-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Question for you guys, I have a 14ft aluminum boat that has no title or registration, if it only has a trolling motor can I still launch it at perris/pudd?

Congrats on the new boat. If the boat is going to be powered by a trolling motor, it needs to be registered with the DMV. There is a patrol boat out at Perris now and if you're unlucky enough to run into him without current registration, they will ask you to take the boat off the water. Don't ask me how I know.:Rolls Eyes: Don't know about the pudd.

Troutman65
04-22-2011, 11:11 PM
You can take your boat to Irvine and use it . It's a private lake .

mjc89
04-22-2011, 11:22 PM
i went to the pudd 1 day and launched my boat. once i launched it sum guy in the same boat a 14 ft aluminum boat with a trolling motor wuz launching his. idk if he had it registered or not but they let him in

Swank909
04-23-2011, 12:34 AM
As far as i know the Pudd checks for current registration when you pay your launching fee's. At least thats what the flyer said.

KILLA
04-23-2011, 10:00 AM
It's last registration was out of AZ in 1988, it's been sitting at a junk yard ever since. There's no paperwork, and I doubt it's still in the system.

P.A.W.
04-23-2011, 10:40 AM
from what I see here http://www.sandimas.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:requirements-for-launch&catid=19:puddingstone-lake&Itemid=83 as long as there is no "power" there is no registration required.

Slick Rick
04-23-2011, 10:54 AM
I just had a similar situation. Your boat is probably not even in the DMV system anymore (if it ever was) which was the situation with mine. I just took a Bill of Sale and Applied for CA title. Paid 60 bucks, if that, and bam! Legal boat.

TINMAN13
04-27-2011, 02:19 PM

You only need a CF # if you add a gas powered motor.

jerryG
04-28-2011, 12:37 AM
You only need a CF # if you add a gas powered motor.

Actually I believe it would still be necessary register the boat unless it was powered by a sail, oars, or a paddle. Please see below for DMV Rules.

Vessel Boat Registration and Information

What Vessels Must be Registered?

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.
Vessels previously registered in other states must be registered in California within 120 days of being brought into the state, if it will be used upon California waterways the majority of the time.
The term vessel applies to every description of water-craft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except the following:

A seaplane on the water.
A watercraft specifically designed to operate on a permanently fixed course and guided by a mechanical device that restricts the watercraft's movement to the fixed course.
A floating structure that is designed and built to be used as a stationary waterborne residential dwelling, which, (a) does not have and is not designed to have a mode of power of its own, (b) is dependent for utilities upon a continuous utility linkage to a source originating on shore, and (c) has a permanent, continuous hookup to a shoreside sewage system.
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.
Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).
NOTE: Commercial vessels of five net tons or more, or 30 feet or more in length must be registered (documented) by the U.S. Coast Guard.
What is the Difference Between a Documented Vessel and an Undocumented Vessel?

An undocumented vessel is registered by the DMV and does not have a marine certificate issued by the U.S. Coast Guard.
A documented vessel is registered and issued a marine certificate by the U.S. Coast Guard. It does not require DMV registration. Please see the previous note.
You are required to register your undocumented vessel and pay applicable fees before it is placed in California waters.
Must I Register a Vessel Used Exclusively on a Private Lake?

Yes; any vessel that is used or moored on California waterways, including private lakes, must be registered.

lovefofish
04-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I take my boat to perris ( not registered) with a gas motor. they just write ur CF numb and send u on your way. my boat was last registerd in 99

wetsideconnect
05-03-2011, 08:17 AM
i went to the pudd 1 day and launched my boat. once i launched it sum guy in the same boat a 14 ft aluminum boat with a trolling motor wuz launching his. idk if he had it registered or not but they let him in

With the economy the way it is, I would make sure it is registered. The vessel is just like a vehicle and subject to the same laws.. You will know if it is registered by the sticker displayed on both sides up towards the bow area. The sticker color changes annually and displays the year in the center.