PDA

View Full Version : Newport - First time out in the surf

Oban
04-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Been wanting to go out to the surf for awhile. Fished fresh my whole life. I wanted to get out there and have an easy drive, so I went to Newport, just outside the harbor.
Windy and cloudy, but water was relatively warm. I didn't mind wading at all.

Worked camo sandworms, grubs, and other plastics on the beach all afternoon. Watched a guy bring in a small shovelnose, and soon as he released it, he got another hit. After about a 10 minute fight, his pole snapped...was too close to the water I think. He gave me his left over bait. I think it was some large shrimp. Anyway, I hadn't got a hit, so I threw one out there. Got this little croaker a few minutes later.
Went back to Gulp! for awhile, and nothing was happening. Changed spots to the jetty and started throwing a jerk bait and right before I left, I got this.
Small, but my first halibut!
Flopped off the rocks and back into the water soon as I got the hooks out. Saved me the trouble of figuring out how to hold it properly.

Definitely will be heading out to the coast again soon!

-All fish released-

Fat Tony
04-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Awsome job man i fished around that area before and caught two shortie hali....

bowler
04-22-2011, 01:46 AM
surf fishing is fun. I go in the summer to get spotfin croaker. Good job on your first Halibut to bad it was short. Keep it up you might get a legal one some day. Look at my old post and you will see what i got last summer on light line.

DockRat
04-22-2011, 06:44 AM
:Applause: Now your catching Real Fish.
FW is Weak.

Always carry some needle nose pliers because many saltwater fish have sharp teeth.
DR

ryryk
04-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I too have just started surf fishing.
You my friend have caught some better species than me, but I still have fun. (But I'm a little jealous)
Nice job dude, welcome to the club!

Troutman65
04-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Nice going on your first time surf fishing . Thanks for sharing

murrieta angler
04-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Howdy Oban,
Cograts on getting two, of many, new species from the surf.
The fish will get bigger so either loosen the drag or make sure you have at least 10 pound test, I use P-Line.
Thanks for the post,
Robert
<><

Halislayer
04-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Great catch! I just started surf fishing too, and your definetly off to a good start! Keep it up. Good pictures.

Oban
04-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the tips in the other thread DockRat. I will be hitting up those spots when my friend gets back from vacation. Definitely hooked after my first time, and will be upgrading gear, but I'm still freshwater at heart ;) ...for now!

@murrieta angler - I believe I have 10 lbs test on my reel. My father bought it last summer for himself, but never used it. I kept mindful of the drag the whole day. Didn't want 'the big one' to snap me, and I enjoy fighting the fish with drag loose enough for the smaller ones to pull a little line.

Wingnut
04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I too have just started surf fishing.
You my friend have caught some better species than me, but I still have fun. (But I'm a little jealous)
Nice job dude, welcome to the club!

Great catch! I just started surf fishing too, and your definetly off to a good start! Keep it up. Good pictures.

Great to see a lot of people taking interest in surf fishing. :Big Grin:
I wish that I didn't wait so long before I decided to get started. :Neutral: Thanks Dana! :Cool:
Great job, that's a great first surf session... took me 3 months before I got my first ever Halibut. :Envious: Keep up the good work out there everybody, I will be living vicariously thru all of your reports soon. :LOL:

flyngby
04-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Nice surf session!

Keep it up and the nicer models will come your way!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif.

Jaysuuun
04-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice first time outing. Hope to see more reports from you.

smokehound
04-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I surf-fish newport all the time, if you see a guy with a ponytail, chances are it's me.

EDIT: LOL where are my manners? It's good to know you had fun. I might head out there in a couple 'o days.

Oban
04-24-2011, 01:52 AM
I surf-fish newport all the time, if you see a guy with a ponytail, chances are it's me.

EDIT: LOL where are my manners? It's good to know you had fun. I might head out there in a couple 'o days.
Maybe I'll see you out there. I plan on going back in a few days too.

Thanks for the kind replies everyone. My good luck has definitely made me want to go out there again and gear up for more surf fishing.

lovefofish
04-24-2011, 10:52 AM
great to see some one new on the water get into some fish, the shrimp was probably a ghost shrimp.

Always carry some needle nose pliers because many saltwater fish have sharp teeth.
DR

oh so true....
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt305/nogard666/Thumb%20Stitches/100_1033.jpg

Oban
04-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Ouch! That does not look like it tickled! Hope it healed okay.
I keep a pair of needle nose pliers on me while I fish. Also have a hook remover, multi tool, and wire cutters in my bag, but after seeing your thumb, I think I am going to add a lip gripper.

ghetto dad
04-24-2011, 08:26 PM
great to see some one new on the water get into some fish, the shrimp was probably a ghost shrimp.

oh so true....
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt305/nogard666/Thumb%20Stitches/100_1033.jpg

lmao! damn man..what you try to do, hold a halibut like a bass??? ouch!

GD

smokehound
04-25-2011, 12:35 AM

so true....
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt305/nogard666/Thumb%20Stitches/100_1033.jpgHoly ****! LOL @ the ibuprofen next to you, what kinda antibiotic is that, cephalaxin? :LOL:

Reminds me of the time I picked up a huge rock-crab during the mating season, was walking back to the cooler with it, and he latched onto my thumb, *CRACK~!* Now I know what a mussel feels like X(

sidified
04-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Oh ya, Oban, it's great to hear about a fisherman's first foray into the salt...Kinda like seeing your kid take his first step...okay, I exaggerate...but you will be hooked on the experience as solid as that first hali...
Cheers,
Sid 'Ficous'

PS Ya gotta like a guy named after a fine scotch...