PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Appropriate Punishment for a Poacher

Fish Dog
04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Although this a Northern California incident I hang in So. Cal. so I'll post it here. This is one of the first times I've seen a punishment that seems appropriate to the crime. Of course, this ding-dong had to get caught 3 times in 3 weeks to get the judges attention...

A San Francisco man who was caught taking abalone out of season three times over a three-week span has been convicted on poaching charges. Qiong Wang, 32, pled guilty to felony conspiracy and taking abalone for commercial purposes in Mendocino County Superior Court. He was sentenced to one year in jail and three years of probation, in addition to being fined $20,000 and forced to forfeit his vehicle and all dive equipment. His fishing license was also revoked for the rest of his life.

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/repeat-san-francisco-abalone-poacher-sentenced-to-jail/

smokehound
04-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Although this a Northern California incident I hang in So. Cal. so I'll post it here. This is one of the first times I've seen a punishment that seems appropriate to the crime. Of course, this ding-dong had to get caught 3 times in 3 weeks to get the judges attention...

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/repeat-san-francisco-abalone-poacher-sentenced-to-jail/HELL YES!!!! Music to my ears!! Now THIS is the way to do it! Dumbass selling fish caught under the authority of a sport-fishing license!! LOL!

lovefofish
04-21-2011, 09:14 PM
now if only the cared about croaker as much the jails would be filled

smokehound
04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
now if only the cared about croaker as much the jails would be filledI know, it's a damn shame.. Tragedy of the commons.. everyone focuses on one species, then before you know it, the common animals vanish..

lovefofish
04-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Im glad sbb and corbs are just a little smarter. peace out croakers :lol:

murrieta angler
04-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately,
The guy probably made alot more than $20k selling the abalone to perspective buyers over the year.
Also, he'll be out of county in less than 3 months, with good behavior. Vacation to some...hehe
Robert
<><

tree
04-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry to say it but Murrieta Angler is right. I go out with my dad for abalone almost every season and we ALWAYS do it by the book. Pretty much every trip has had DFG roadblocks to check for illegal abs.

That guy probably made over $100 a shell to some black market chinatown sellers.

smokehound
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
With a felony, permanently revoked license, and all those possessions taken from him?

I doubt he will continue to do this, at least in California.. One year in jail, and three years of probation..

Next time he get's busted, He's without a license, violating probation.. And that time, he'll be in THRICE the trouble.

exfactor
04-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Abalone is like $1000.00 a dozen, and there are people who buy it for that. He had like 50 something I think the last time he got caught. Thats 5 g's for a couple hours of work. You do the math. Some of the rules for posession of fish, like salmon, make it awkward to travel for fishing vacations. I love going up to Fort Bragg for the salmon fishing, but hate that i can only bring 2 fish home with me. There are alot of people in this economy who would do ANYTHING to make 5 g's in a day.