PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Reds on 04 / 20 Moo-moo Trip at the 'Shoe' w/pics

JapanRon
04-21-2011, 02:31 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/0420ezine11P1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/0420ezine11P2.jpg

Jackpot Jimmy
04-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the report Ron, always a great read. Nice reds. I believe bocaccio in Italian means "big ugly mouth". I call them bocaccio most of the time...I've always thought that calling them salmon grouper is sportboat propaganda. LOL

By the way when was the last time you used bait?

JapanRon
04-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Thanks ..... Hummmm I'd have to check the archivs but I'll bet it's somewhere around 3 years. That's bait, iron, Gulp, scent .... whatever but a leadhead, plastic, and maybe sliding egg sinker !!

Of course, fly fishing is another matter ..... can't wait to get to June Loop this year in the Fall.

JapanRon

catfish 17
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
which landing is that? and what type of trip?

lovefofish
04-21-2011, 09:46 PM
:Skunk: :Shocked: stayin true to the plastics, gotta love it.

did you try jerkshads? on a buctail

TUNAVIC
04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
300ft ouch!

marzocchi
04-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Those are some nice reds. Looks like another banner rockcod year :(

DockRat
04-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Good report Ron.

which landing is that? and what type of trip?

The Shoe is Horse Shoe Kelp Outside Long Beach. 1/2 day out of Pierpoint.
Moo Moo is a Cattle boat.
DR

Tunaslam
04-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Nice bunch of fish tacos on the boat Ron, guess you spent most of trip taking pcitures and enjoying the fresh air, the smell of bacon, onions and burgers on the grill!

Great report Ron!
Cory

murrieta angler
04-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Very nice Ron,
Those are some nice looking reds in the pictures, to bad about the skunk,
Let me ask you this, do you fish for tuna with plastics?
Take Care,
Robert
<><

JapanRon
04-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi catfish 17,

Thanks for the reply .... pretty much what DockRat said !! :) I used to profile boats bigtime and basically promote landings until I discovered that.... in 95% of the public sportfishing industry ... those folks just don't care about doing anything that might somehow go against their automony and or being appreciative of anybodys ..... especially individuals' efforts (local commercial fisherman's creed) thus are happy to just do what they do !! Fine with me. Nowdays ..... if I go on a boat I've not ridden in a long time .... I'll profile 'em as in the past..... Once. Otherwise ...... it's all about the fishing experience.

Getting the landings and sporties (actually their being forced by hard times and changes consumer-savy younger folks have made in patronizing boats) to go on-line was one of the biggest major coups of the 'consumer' over the ol' school mentality that ever happened here locally. Unfortunately or fortunately .... the lone wolf .... take what I give you and 'be grateful for any effort days' are about done ..... even for the consistant producers.

Now ...... Jackpot Jimmy this is NO slam on the Tradition operation of present days. But you know sooooo well .....proof of what I say is realized by following the tale of it's last owner, to forever be un-named !! ha ha ha

Happily ..... times are a changin' But ....many still draw the line just before or up to losing their boats while other are going 180 degrees the other way .....some even putting their boat fares in an auction / buy it now, or discount website. Amazing stuff for us old salts !!!

On another vien ....... things change comparitively so rapidly ....... landings ownship or its managers, owner/operators of boats, skippers, deckhands, pinheads, deadheads and even locations of boats change and a ride on one boat may be completely different than that 2 months down the line. If one is looking for a good ride ..... focus on a CONSISTANT boat. This takes some effort. One actually has to go thru the fish-count archives to look at a combination of the frequency a boat gets out (1/2 and 3/4 day), patron numbers, and fish caught-ratio over X number of months and or the whole season. One will soon see some boats are stronger in certain seasons and for specific species than others but ..... the better choice is the ones that produce year-long.

Good grief .... did I write all this !! OK .... whatever ... I know you're no newbie so let this post be just my ramblings to the angler yet new to this saltwater public sportfishing experience.

JapanRon

JapanRon
04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi lovefofish,

Stayin' true. My buddies don't love it. As you know, I only eat sushi and give away all the fish I catch locally so they are losing fish tacos when I get skunked.

Hummmm I thought Jerkshads were Gulp or at least had scent in them which is a no no :) Fished the Jerk-it sluggo type bait which is vertically fished but .....

JapanRon

JapanRon
04-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi TUNAVIC,

Week before last it was 310 feet with a strong current at times !!

Amazing I could get down and pretty much stay with only 5 ounces. Braid is the secret !!

JapanRon

JapanRon
04-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi marzocchi,

Yes .... you noticed the title ....... How long is the blanky-blank fishery going to be utilized this year !?! I'd rather fish inside the harbor that at the Rigs for Rockfish !!

JapanRon

JapanRon
04-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi DockRat,

Thanks buddy ...... await your next report.

JapanRon

JapanRon
04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Tunaslam,

Thanks. Actually I spend 85% of the 'actual fishing' time at the rail trying !! Usually fish all the AM and noonish as conditions are better for my ultralite stuff i.e. usual Bass gear. Fish a little more in the PM if we go shallow like 150 feet but after 1~1:30 the winds start to blow and we enter what I've coined as ..... 'the zone of diminishing returns' !! To those unfamiliar with my terminology .... it means entering a fishing period of progressively worstening conditions resulting in fewer and fewer fishing being caught the more time and effort spent at the rail. Ya ...... hangin' with real fishin' buddies are everything !!

Speaking of zones .... really disappointed you guys didn't get some yellows. See, I predicted you guys would make a early start to the YT season this year. Dang ...... I wanted to be able to say 'I told you so' on a report of a successful trip.

JapanRon

JapanRon
04-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi murrieta angler,

Thanks. Seeing my buddies happy faces makes a trip good. I would like to fish Tuna but as I fish the light gear I would be thrown overboard on a sportie trip, I ain't payin' $300 for a spot on a 6-pac, and I don't do PBs so I'm pretty much SOL ...... unless the fish come to within float tube or pontoon boat range ! :)

I have some of the purple 5inch plastic swimmies supposed to be great to fish on the slide !!

I've fished overnight Tuna boats in SD with success 10 years ago but the chest beating, the screaming, the wild tangles and lost fish ......... that culture just ain't my thing. But ..... sternhog that I am ..... I could or can do the Tuna shuffle with the best of the 'good' veterans. How come there is always an ahole who sized me up and decided he'd just stick in what develops as a primo (abiet tempoary) spot at the rail after encouraging me to move along ? Those self-centered punks finished it for me !!

JapanRon

murrieta angler
04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Ron,
I'm sorry to hear about the punks.
They have, in the past, have attempted to do the same to me, but my 6'1" height and 208 pounds of pretty good muscle tone, tends to deter them from doing it.
But there are always bigger guys out there. You catch my drift?
It's funny you mention the rail spot. That is probably the primary reason I don't like the L.A. boats.
Now don't get me wrong, if someone has a hot spot I would never try to wedge myself in there, but if they leave and start to fish another spot, well kudos to me.
If I get some tuna this year Ron, I will make it a point to get you some & your kitty.
Take care,
Robert
<><

JapanRon
04-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi again murrieta angler,

We're of like minds ....... to some extent !! I say kudos to you too ! Here's what I do if I want to fish the bow where nobody is fishing or nobody has official 'spots'. I say to a buddy or someone I know ... 'want to fish here the rest of this stop' ? When we pull anchor and start to move ...... I'm back with my rod and ask .... 'how did you do' ?..... while putting my rod in my rail rod-holder. Sooooo easy a transition with a little forethought.

I fish a certain spot on the boat for a very good reason. Starboard, stern corner gives me 140 degree visibility. The reason is ..... I fish artificials by casting and have a system and intimate knowhow as to how my controled bait is gonna act in concert with the boat swing and most other folks line drifts and such where I can avoid most folks cluelessness, their just letting their lines go because they don't give a .... about anybody but themselves and catching fish, or the sneaky jerks who are near the bow or starboard mid-ship and try to 'flyline' an Anchovie or Sardine all the way back to 50 feet and end off the stern port side !! Huh ..... These are the clowns that ask to go around one on the corner as their bait is drifting off and then try to STAY there for the rest of the time their Dean can be flylined !! I speak my mind fearlessly and would surely be severly beaten by the gangzsta wanna be's on the Tuna boats.

Using braid, I will reel up if I'm absolutely sure there's gonna be a tangle if I don't do it. I may not tangle anyone for 3 or 4 trips .... even on the Rockfish trips while guys are continually tangled nearby with others way the heck somewhere else !! The corner gives me an edge on keeping aware of other folks and reacting quickly. My line is single strand, no leaders and very clean, often a bit heavy on the required weight to get and stay down so few complications comparied with the guys with spreaders, too light weight, two Sardines tugging opposite directions now same way later , yada, yada !!

Back to the spot business. If someone moves during a fishing stop ..... as far as I'm concerned ..... it's now open. If I put my rod in my rod holder at my spot to go use the head or get tackle and some moron is straddling my rod to fish the spot, upon my return ..... he, she, or it ..... gets a reminder ..... no matter what age or size. Gentle, 10 seconds less gentle .... 10 seconds .... then get the ...... out of this spot !! Of course, the truely clueless, newbie, younger-set get the kid-gloves and effort is made to instruct rather than anything else so please understand I'm not a crazed monster at the rail !! ha ha ha The rail rod-holder strap takes care of 95% of any doubt a fellow angler might have as to my intentions to fish the spot. I'm sure you've seen the jackazzs try to jump in a spot when someone goes to the bait tank to get a bait !! Huh :)

Another issue. Very soon, we will be fishing for Bonito or Barracuda and some will want to troll. I'll make sure I've got my trolling strap on the rail at my spot and trolling gear ready .... if for nothing else than to alert some idiot up on the bow figureing they can come grab a primo trolling spot ...... the stern to troll then ........... then .....take their good ol' freaking time reeling in their gear so as to be able to fish the second best time ..... the slide ...... and screw the guy who's spot he's using to do so !! I know all the tricks and the decks know I know it so they will usually clue in the donkeys not to try to pull stupid stuff. Avoids lots of unpleasentness.
So for the newbie ..... the above might come in handy although yourself, myself, and many others here have had to learn the hard way. Fair warning to 'that' guy or gal ....... oh and to the hot shot little pinhead sooooo full of themselves !! Almost cute ...... well.. almost !!!

JapanRon