PDA

View Full Version : Five Steps to ensure a good surf fishing excursion!

smokehound
04-20-2011, 10:21 PM
STEP ONE-- Make sure you plan well. Pack as light as possible. Keep hooks of various sizes, and kinds, to take advantage of the situation. Keep an eye on the tide forecast, and pay attention to the weather forecast.

STEP TWO-- Constantly remind yourself that the catch does not matter. You're here to have fun (generally) and even if you get skunked, you spent a great day at the beach. Look around for interesting things. keeping your spirit up will ensure a good day's fishing. It's important NOT to lose your cool. In a survival setting, this can prove fatal.

All it takes is a frustrated kick to a piling or rock, to break your toes, and seriously injure you. Do not blow your top!

STEP THREE-- Avoid sunburn AT ALL COSTS. When you get sunburned, cold wind will make you go into shock. Wear loose, light-colored, long-sleeved clothing. This reduces the need to use sunscreen. If you get burned, go home. Your day is over. Any more activity, and you will regret it later! You can get sunburned on an overcast day!

STEP FOUR-- The beach is an unforgiving environment. Do NOT bring fancy clothing, or expensive shoes. The sand, ocean, and salty-wind can destroy things remarkably fast. ALWAYS keep an eye on the surf. NEVER turn your back to the ocean. Shuffle your feet, do NOT WALK. Stingrays are likely to flee harmlessly when nudged.

STEP FIVE-- ALWAYS stay hydrated! Salt-water sucks the moisture out of you! On A day with offshore-flow, the combination of warm, dry winds, immersion in saltwater, and sunlight can cause severe dehydration.

Keep all of this in mind, and you will have a fantastic day! Dont turn your hobby into a nightmare!

Troutman65
04-21-2011, 04:07 AM
I have always found breaking my toes is an plesant feeling . LOL Good advice Smokehound. Thanks for sharing

DockRat
04-21-2011, 07:03 AM
#4 This kid died the other day. He was knocked over in 3' of water. I have thought about guys getting knocked over in waders and how dangerous the could be with boots.
I know this riptide, It has been there for months carving out a channel.
The waves were not big that day, 2' - 3'

19-year-old riptide victim ID'd as Torrance man
By Larry Altman Staff Writer

TORRANCE
Apr 20:

19-year-old man who drowned when he became caught in a riptide at Torrance beach was identified Tuesday as Ali Reza Ghazvinian.

Ghazvinian, a former South High School student, lived in Torrance. He died Friday at Torrance Memorial Hospital shortly after he was pulled from the surf.

Torrance police Sgt. Jeremiah Hart said Ghazvinian and a friend were walking waist deep in the water when a wave knocked him over. The man became caught in a rip current and could not swim.

His friend, who also could not swim, ran to get help. Lifeguards arrived in four minutes.

"By the time they got him out he wasn't breathing," said witness Saima Gill of Rancho Palos Verdes. "They did CPR. They did everything. He wasn't responding."

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc221/treymlb/44303747_c8933069bf.jpg

Oban
04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Sound advice that I will surely remember!

I'd like to add to STEP THREE from recent, personal experiences...of a friend, yeah, a friend, not me, I'd never do this.. (lies through teeth) :LOL:

Sunglasses and lip balm are as important as sunscreen for me! Reflection from the water will get your face burned fast. Sunburned eyes hurt bad and happen easier on overcast days because you open your eyes wider and don't naturally squint! I know from personal experience out on the lake and it hurts to even open eyes for a few days.

My lips get chapped very easy, and if I don't reapply a lip balm at the beach every hour or two, I break out. Carmex works best for me.

Also, if you change or take off shoes after getting there, don't forget to apply sunscreen to the newly exposed areas. :Rolls Eyes:

smokehound
04-29-2011, 04:00 AM
Sound advice that I will surely remember!

I'd like to add to STEP THREE from recent, personal experiences...of a friend, yeah, a friend, not me, I'd never do this.. (lies through teeth) :LOL:

Sunglasses and lip balm are as important as sunscreen for me! Reflection from the water will get your face burned fast. Sunburned eyes hurt bad and happen easier on overcast days because you open your eyes wider and don't naturally squint! I know from personal experience out on the lake and it hurts to even open eyes for a few days.

My lips get chapped very easy, and if I don't reapply a lip balm at the beach every hour or two, I break out. Carmex works best for me.

Also, if you change or take off shoes after getting there, don't forget to apply sunscreen to the newly exposed areas. :Rolls Eyes:The last time I went surf-fishing, I got burned REAL bad, and decided to keep fishing... Then the marine layer rolled in. It felt so nasty.. The actual Temp was 71 degrees, but I felt like i was freezing to death! The bus-ride home was awful, they had the AC on full-blast.

ghetto dad
04-29-2011, 07:36 AM
STEP ONE-- Make sure you plan well. Pack as light as possible. Keep hooks of various sizes, and kinds, to take advantage of the situation. Keep an eye on the tide forecast, and pay attention to the weather forecast.

STEP TWO-- Constantly remind yourself that the catch does not matter. You're here to have fun (generally) and even if you get skunked, you spent a great day at the beach. Look around for interesting things. keeping your spirit up will ensure a good day's fishing. It's important NOT to lose your cool. In a survival setting, this can prove fatal.

All it takes is a frustrated kick to a piling or rock, to break your toes, and seriously injure you. Do not blow your top!

STEP THREE-- Avoid sunburn AT ALL COSTS. When you get sunburned, cold wind will make you go into shock. Wear loose, light-colored, long-sleeved clothing. This reduces the need to use sunscreen. If you get burned, go home. Your day is over. Any more activity, and you will regret it later! You can get sunburned on an overcast day!

STEP FOUR-- The beach is an unforgiving environment. Do NOT bring fancy clothing, or expensive shoes. The sand, ocean, and salty-wind can destroy things remarkably fast. ALWAYS keep an eye on the surf. NEVER turn your back to the ocean. Shuffle your feet, do NOT WALK. Stingrays are likely to flee harmlessly when nudged.

STEP FIVE-- ALWAYS stay hydrated! Salt-water sucks the moisture out of you! On A day with offshore-flow, the combination of warm, dry winds, immersion in saltwater, and sunlight can cause severe dehydration.

Keep all of this in mind, and you will have a fantastic day! Dont turn your hobby into a nightmare!

great advice bro!! great post!

GD

fishinjim
06-09-2012, 11:21 PM
#4 This kid died the other day. He was knocked over in 3' of water. I have thought about guys getting knocked over in waders and how dangerous the could be with boots.

TORRANCE
Apr 20:

19-year-old man who drowned when he became caught in a riptide at Torrance beach was identified Tuesday as Ali Reza Ghazvinian.

Ghazvinian, a former South High School student, lived in Torrance. He died Friday at Torrance Memorial Hospital shortly after he was pulled from the surf.

Torrance police Sgt. Jeremiah Hart said Ghazvinian and a friend were walking waist deep in the water when a wave knocked him over. The man became caught in a rip current and could not swim.

His friend, who also could not swim, ran to get help. Lifeguards arrived in four minutes.

"By the time they got him out he wasn't breathing," said witness Saima Gill of Rancho Palos Verdes. "They did CPR. They did everything. He wasn't responding."

This is why I prefer to stay on the pier or the jetty,

Armofisher818
06-09-2012, 11:58 PM
The last time I went surf-fishing, I got burned REAL bad, and decided to keep fishing... Then the marine layer rolled in. It felt so nasty.. The actual Temp was 71 degrees, but I felt like i was freezing to death! The bus-ride home was awful, they had the AC on full-blast.
You take ur rods and gear on the bus? How close to the beach do you live?

elfstone
06-11-2012, 12:27 AM

TORRANCE
Apr 20:

How about another tip:
Do not go waist deep in the ocean when you and your friend DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SWIM.

DockRat
06-15-2012, 06:52 AM
How about another tip:
Do not go waist deep in the ocean when you and your friend DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SWIM.
I personally feel that Waders in the surf are dangerous.
Step off in a trench with the water flowing out and it could be all over.
Use caution.

Which Way Out
06-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I have always found breaking my toes is an plesant feeling . LOL Good advice Smokehound. Thanks for sharing

Do you mean like this?
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/toe-1.jpg

Happen while fishing on a boat. I didn't kick anything on propose. But as we all know anything can happen.

DR you are right about using waders. I worry about it all the time. Even thinking of getting one of those small vest inflatable PFD's

WWO

sandtrout
06-18-2012, 11:03 AM
35738357391. if you're in a car, take a 1 gallon milk jug or 2 liter soda bottle filled with water to wash the sand off your feet
2. take a roll of quarters...if the bite is HOT you'll want change to fill the meter if you're in a metered zone
3. go from 4am to 9am...the meter maids aren't on duty until 9am (i think...haven't checked lately) but if the bite is good, see #2
4. apply your sunscreen and then...wash your hands! If you get burnt, have plenty of vitamin E capsules waiting at home
5. keep your baits cool with a 5 gal bucket filled with a couple inches of wet sand
6. sandcrabs...I prefer the rarer soft shell type but if I can't find them I use needlenose pliers and peel a few pieces of shell off the back to expose the tissue underneath. If the sandcrabs are small, put 3 or 4 on the hook.
- technique 1: I use a long rod (I think it's a B&M 10' crappie rod...long rods help keep the line out of the water to keep the waves from moving into shore too fast but it takes getting used to).
-technique 2. I use 6 or 8 lb line...sand is rough and abrading on mono line so heavier line suits me...I wouldn't want to land a huge corbina on 4lb test that's been scraped across the sand.
-technique 3. I run my line through an egg sinker (1/2 oz to 1oz), then through a red bead (to keep the egg sinker from slamming and getting stuck on the swivel), then a snap swivel. I pre-tie my hooks (#6 bait hook) with a 2' - 5' leader ending with a surgeon's loop and I cut notches on a piece of cereal box or cardboard (cut 4" x 10") so I can wrap my pre-tied hooks around the notches...and I put roughly 10 pre-tied hooks on that. I HATE fishing where I have to STOP AND TIE UP A HOOK, particularly when there's a school of fish going through. I'd much rather unwind a hook off and snap it into the snap swivel and cast.
technique 4. don't keep a TIGHT line, just keep the slack out of it.

I'm enclosing a pix of the homemade sandcrab rake anyone can make. I got the dust bin, hardware net, and zip ties from Home Depot. Cut the back and bottom out, lay a cut piece of hardware not on the open/cut spaces and attached with zip ties. I don't take too much of the back off because of the weight of the water and sand that has to pass through. Oh yeah, wash your rod and reel when you get home...I also spray it down with anti-salt spray (salt-x, corrosion x, etc.)