PDA

View Full Version : 4/18 trip

hooks
04-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Hey Viners,
4am Monday morning found me at my usual haunt, which would be the line up lot at da' Vine. Just me and Art until about 5:15am. :Razz:
Ed arrives then and soon theres about 20 cars in line.
The man himself (Jimmy) is there to greet the usual locals this morning.:Razz:
I hear the big trout to date this season is 20 pounds. There's still lots of really big fish out there. They are getting harder, in general, to catch though.
The water was 68* and air temp. didn't get above 64*.
Launched and headed up to the usual west shore spot to float some crawlers and fish the pb mice. After and hour and no bites, I moved. At about mid lake, I began drift fishing a bobber/crawler combo. I also tried "mudding" a power mouse across the bottom. After several drifts and nothing, I tried trolling. The 1st lap around resulted in nothing. Hit the trees back in woodys cove for awhile with no luck.
About 2ish, I was ready to call it a day in frustration :Evil:
I decided to troll a little longer b4 leaving. I added about an 1.5 ounce worth of sinkers to my trolling pole and let out the lead core pole.
Soon the lead core was getting hit at anything past 3 colors . I couldn't bring anything in past 4 colors close enough before it threw the hook though. One fish of many, about six pounds bit a big gold salmon spoon :Secret: trolled on the 20 pound behind the weights.
I got the fish up to the net but farmed:Farmer: him at the last second.
At about 3 and my last run headed in across the lake, the deep troll bite was the best I've seen in a long time. The fish are going deeper but there are still many monsters out there. I'm betting a few may be landed once summer hours kick in.:Razz:
I managed to get one 4 pounder in the net and lost 4 more in last stretch coming in.
I talked to some other guys in a boat that picked up 4 coming in there at the end.
I seen trout jumping quite a bit around the lake but they wanted nothing to do with bait.
The shad appear to have come up from the center of the bottom part of the lake to the surface now (at least that's what I think I'm looking at on my fish finders). Maybe that's why the trout are slowing down, they could be keying in on the shad now.
Anyhoo, I ended up with a 4 pound bow and more fish stories.
til next week,
tight lines.

Rooster
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Great report Hooks. How was the visability out there?

hooks
04-19-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm guessing it's about 2 to 3 feet.

Surfer
04-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Did you see any bass around?

karalm
04-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Hooks,
Thanks as always for the info. When I went last time I was trolling leadcore at 2 colors and no go. How come do you think that for the troll the fish are deep now while the shore anglers are still getting fish now even more then trollers??
Thoughts?

bman90278
04-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Did you see any bass around?

The bass are hibernating this time of year. :)

-b

hooks
04-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Hooks,
Thanks as always for the info. When I went last time I was trolling leadcore at 2 colors and no go. How come do you think that for the troll the fish are deep now while the shore anglers are still getting fish now even more then trollers??
Thoughts?
Art and Ed (always there on Mondays) fish the shore. They have been getting most of their fish from shore b4 noon when the sun is baking down. Last week, I did good close to shore in the morning. As the day wore on, the fish moved from the shallows to deep water. Bows like a temp. of about 58*, with the water at almost 70*, their heading for deeper water. It's about at this time that the night time bite for trout really kicks in. I fished Santa Ana river lakes on Friday night. Before dark, the lake looked dead with nothing stirring. About an hour after sun down, the surface of the lake was filled with rising fish (trout).
I didn't get any troll fish until after 1:30 pm or so. I seen lots of jumping trout, so I'm guessing their starting to key in on the massive schools of shad that have come back up from the bottom of the lake.
I heard from the Magic man that crappie are also on the chew now. I betting the wiper and bass bite are also primed to explode soon. On Monday I'll probably be out with some bass buddies, who have been waiting patiently to hit the Vine (vacation).
tight lines...

Seņor.Chilax
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Thank you hooks for insight. I'll be heading out there this Saturday and using this info.

hooks
04-21-2011, 03:48 PM
:Beer Toast::Dancing Banana:
:Fishing Catch:
:Cool:

karalm
04-22-2011, 01:31 PM
[ On Monday I'll probably be out with some bass buddies, who have been waiting patiently to hit the Vine (vacation).
tight lines

Hooks,
How about a report on Monday after you guys tag some bass. I am getting ready to hit it again and hope that this warmer weather is going to start the Bass chew in earnest!!