PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help

SurfKing
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I do a lot of surf fishing at san onofre beach but I only catch perch most of the time. I'm would like to catch some spotfin croaker and some haibut this year. I would like to know exactly where are the inshore fishing holes or the clam bed? I figure those would be a good fishing spot. What is the best bait to use to catch spotfin? I'm in the military so i have acess to the camp pendleton area. I heard seal beach is a good place for surf fishing but I never been there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

DockRat
04-20-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm in the military so i have acess to the camp pendleton area.

Welcome to FNN. Thanks for your service. Never landed a spotfin, They don't like LA only OC to SD ???

If you don't have LC's try 3" blue/chrome Krocs or swimbaits. Talked to a guy who landed 3 legals last weekend all on swimbaits from shore.

The halibut generally sit and wait from 2' deep to 100' + of water. You have to keep moving, find a trench or rock and do several casts in and around the structure. No luck then move down 50' and try again. You have to find them and then have your lure, crankbait or swimmy go by them. If your lure is 10' behind them then they won't hit it or see it, got to keep moving and find one.

Maybe someone will chime in on Spotfin ?
Watch this video and you can see how they sit near the structure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uQSS8UEI1E&feature=fvwrel

Good Luck, DR

ryryk
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Id like to see this video u speek of DR where's the link bro

DockRat
04-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Click on Video.

smokehound
04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Welcome to FNN. Thanks for your service. Never landed a spotfin, They don't like LA only OC to SD ???

If you don't have LC's try 3" blue/chrome Krocs or swimbaits. Talked to a guy who landed 3 legals last weekend all on swimbaits from shore.

The halibut generally sit and wait from 2' deep to 100' + of water. You have to keep moving, find a trench or rock and do several casts in and around the structure. No luck then move down 50' and try again. You have to find them and then have your lure, crankbait or swimmy go by them. If your lure is 10' behind them then they won't hit it or see it, got to keep moving and find one.

Maybe someone will chime in on Spotfin ?
Watch this video and you can see how they sit near the structure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uQSS8UEI1E&feature=fvwrel

Good Luck, DRI'd say the BEST time for surf Spotfins is during mid-summer, as they stage for their spawn. I'll see them tailing in the surf like Corbina at times, gorging on as many sandcrabs as possible..

Spotfins always bite better at night!

PUDD MASTER BAITER
04-23-2011, 06:28 AM
i was stationed at camp penilton at san onefre.close to los pulgas beach, off basilone road, and use to fish the beaches from the surf.the spot fins are large due to limited beach access.mussel ,and live sandcrabs.this was back in 1972.summer is the best time for spot fins,and other specis.tressels is the bomb for surf fishing.also oceanside harbor for more protected water specis.dont waste your gas driving up the coast.semper fi....mike the pmb....

Which Way Out
05-06-2011, 10:33 PM
DR, I had to go to Betty Ford to get off the YouTube vice, dang nice 6 or 8 clips I watched before slapping myself back into the FNN. Whew almost lost it.
Those were cool
Tnx