PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion on a fishing boat

Surfnsnowboard3
04-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Hey guys, I need your help on deciding what to do with purchasing my first boat.

I am thinking about buying a ski style 18' ski style boat. It has a trolling motor and fish finder, so the previous owner used it for fishing.

I like the fact the boat is in essence dual purpose. I can take it to Havasu and also fish, which my gf loves.

My concern is the fishing part. There is no live well, which is my first concern. So I'd need to use an ice chest. Do any if you do that? Is that a big deal? That would be for striper and trout only. I C&R all LMB.

Second concern is my platform for fishing. It is down low on the open bow front which I'm concerned about for fishing. Same at the back. Is that a big deal or something I can handle? I'd love to hear from people who especially fish from down low on a ski style boat or who have done both bass boat and ski style.

Thanks guys, this is a big purchase and I don't want to regret it.

sweetfish
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
I know your concerns. I have a 1991 Bayliner (15 feet) with 2 bench seats. I had to convert the bow with a small platform for the trolling motor and converted the back to have a platform to walk around and fish. The thing I did was anchor the supports to the seat and the bottom without putting holes into the boat itself. I still need to install pedestal seats in the front and back. So far, the conversion worked out for me. As far as the live well goes, I too have to use an ice chest which is fine, and I still have to convert it with an aerator.

BTW I have only spent $75 in wood and hardware so far on the converting the boat to more bass fishing friendly.

chris
04-19-2011, 08:14 AM
ditch the gf and get a fishing boat, then find a gf that like your fishing boat an marry her
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/chris419/Wellcraft/DSC06170.jpg

Socal Bassman
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm sure you can build a deck for the front and back without having to drill into the boat. The deck extension that the previous owner built in my boat is not secured into the boat in any way and can be removed easily. I have taken the boat to 50 mph with some chop and the deck extension doesn't even move an inch.