PDA

View Full Version : Failing to land my Personal best over and over and over.

Mestre909
04-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm starting to wonder if this is someone's idea of a sick joke. lol. I keep losing 5+ pound bass over and over and over.

1. Fairmount about a month ago. Flipped a crackcraw near a stump on Fairmount Lake. It was actually Cotton909's idea to see if a bass was holding to that structure which is only about 7ft out. BAMN! Up jumps a 5lb hog! BEfore I could let he run with drag, SNAP! And she's gone.

2. Two weeks ago at Seccombe Park, on the second bridge. Throwing a Senko, pumpkin green wacky style. Up jumps a 5+ pound toad and the fight begins. I walk her off the bridge to land her. She's running, taking drag. Finally she gets tired, or so I thought. So I clamp down to bring her in. Just as I try and get her close enough to lip she decides she wants to run again. SNAP.

3. Ford Park, this last Saturday. 5+ lb female. jumps, shakes lure. ADIOS.

4. Yesterday evening, fishing Seccombe with cotton909 in the cement area. Drop shoting a pumpkin green yum work. I throw out about 60 yards or so. On the way down or right when it touched bottom the line slowly starts to move to the right. I go to set the hook, the weight was so heavy I though I was actually stuck in weeds or a rock. Line moves again .

Next thing you know I 6-7lb bass jumps up in the air with cotton909 and several people standing around watchme me trying to land this fish. She shook the lure. fish one yet again!

Can a bruva catch a break?!!!!!! I'm about due!

oakboy
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Rough man! Sorry hear about your luck, hey at least your hookin' up! Your bound to get one soon.

<><
KP

fishindude420
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
what kinda hooks r u using? use owner i only lost 1 big fish this year on the shake and landed dozens

tacklejunkie
04-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah check all your hooks are razor sharp and all your rods are beefy enough for the hooks and baits you are using. Also, check your knots. Use better knots or be sure to wet your knots while tying them.
Fine tune and rebuild your drags. Make sure your rod guides aren't cutting your line. Stick your rod tip near the water when the fish is going to jump.
All this will help.
You'll get 'em.. It's frustrating. Part of what makes bass fishing fun.
Yes, it is some sort of sick joke.

Mestre909
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Its just frustrating to loose that many big fish lately. I know my time will come, and I have to pay my dues and put time on the water before it happens. It's just crazy. I'm using Gamakatsu wide gap hooks for drop shoting and wacking. They are pretty dang sharp. Most of the lost fish were due to break offs. This has more to do with me learning how to 'play' the bass and let them tire themselves, without trying to horse them in. I can guess you could say I'm learning the hard way. I'm using 8lb test Trilene mono line.

fishindude420
04-18-2011, 03:31 PM
yah sounds like you just need to play them a little bit better and ull get your toad! I gurantee by the end of this month ull land a 5 plus if you keep at it! good luck man. Everyone loses big fish it sux but ull learn from your mistakes and just get better and better!

Marley
04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Sounds like your line is awfully light, maybe drags too tight or not smooth enough. Plus you mention a 60-yard cast. Sounds like 4, maybe 6-lb. line?

ghost2uu
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
I have seen this before, the only thing to do is... quit fishing and take up golf.

trail blazer
04-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm starting to wonder if this is someone's idea of a sick joke. lol. I keep losing 5+ pound bass over and over and over.

1. Fairmount about a month ago. Flipped a crackcraw near a stump on Fairmount Lake. It was actually Cotton909's idea to see if a bass was holding to that structure which is only about 7ft out. BAMN! Up jumps a 5lb hog! BEfore I could let he run with drag, SNAP! And she's gone.

2. Two weeks ago at Seccombe Park, on the second bridge. Throwing a Senko, pumpkin green wacky style. Up jumps a 5+ pound toad and the fight begins. I walk her off the bridge to land her. She's running, taking drag. Finally she gets tired, or so I thought. So I clamp down to bring her in. Just as I try and get her close enough to lip she decides she wants to run again. SNAP.

3. Ford Park, this last Saturday. 5+ lb female. jumps, shakes lure. ADIOS.

4. Yesterday evening, fishing Seccombe with cotton909 in the cement area. Drop shoting a pumpkin green yum work. I throw out about 60 yards or so. On the way down or right when it touched bottom the line slowly starts to move to the right. I go to set the hook, the weight was so heavy I though I was actually stuck in weeds or a rock. Line moves again .

Next thing you know I 6-7lb bass jumps up in the air with cotton909 and several people standing around watchme me trying to land this fish. She shook the lure. fish one yet again!

Can a bruva catch a break?!!!!!! I'm about due!

PBs dont come verry often,,,,,,,,,,,thats what makes them so WONDERFULLLLLL.

My PB striper is 37 lbs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,24yrs ago he hit the bank

At least 10 times since then ive hook,d possible PBs and everytime they have beat me,,,,,,,,,But when that day comes,,,,,,,OOOOOOYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Just like when your PB comes,,,,,,,,,,it,l all have been worth it

TRAIL BLAZER

dfisher
04-18-2011, 10:29 PM
I would suggest loosen up your drag, if thats not the problem then change your line. Also don't be lazy and check your line for frays and retie if that thought runs your into your mind "should I retie". Don't think just do it, you never know when you will hook up on a toad...

rondog4405
04-18-2011, 10:32 PM
I feel your pain mestre.. I was a prado yesterday and set tha hook on what felt Like a tank! She started peeling off line. I had her half way in and !poof! ... she was gone. Felt like 7lb +. Definitely would've been my pb. Man I was pissed!! Lol..

karalm
04-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Could it be knots your tieing?
Use palomar or improved cinch?? Only ones to come close to holding up w/ the line poundage other then frays. Like was said before, at least your hookin up!!

Dr. MindBendo
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Sounds like weak hooksets. You have to set the hook hard homie! Use Owner or Trokar hooks and your catch ratio will increase. Guaranteed.

tree
04-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Make sure you're licking your line when you tighten your knots.

shiznitmyster
04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
as others have said to wet you line when tying your knots so you don't burn the line at the knot. Also if you casting 60 yards and trying to set the hook with 8# the amount of stretch in that distance you'll be lucky to get 1 out of 10 hook sets. Also make sure your using a rod that is stout so you can really set the hook hard. A wise man once told me to when you set the hook, your trying to make the bass cross eyed and rip his arse out his mouth.

Hope this helps. Your pb can happen anytime as long as the line is wet.