PDA

View Full Version : Saros handle stripped

tacklejunkie
04-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Ease up on your Saros handles.
Stripped mine out yesterday. It appears to be somewhat easy to do.
I think it started on a hookset from a 4lber the other day. The last fish of the day.
The next time I got on the water to use it, the handle was spun.
$25 cost to me. Plus shipping and insurance.
I think this is my last shimano reel. :Dead Horse:
I have had others break before. (Cardiff) Just when I was thinking of buying another Shimano.
Never had a Daiwa break. (or feel like it was going to)
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/reptilemantis/IMG_1212.jpg

tacklejunkie
04-18-2011, 07:10 AM
When I set the hook on that fish I noticed the handle rotated some.
If you keep the handle nice and snug, all it takes is a good solid fish and a cranking hookset to spin it off. lol

When Shimano sends it back repaired it will be in the classifieds for sale.

DarkShadow
04-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Hmmm...curious on why they charged you, if it looked to be like a defective workmanship.

tacklejunkie
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
I like to keep my handle snug but sheesh didn't think I was keeping it that snug?!
Now I'll never know unless I do it again :Angry: :Embarrassed:

I don''t know how much they'll charge me yet but since I provided no evidence of warranty I'm assuming the standard $25 repair charge. I included my credit info. Will get back to ya there.

Luckily the lady at my hallmark spinoff post office seems to know tricks to get it there for $6 insured without using their stupid USPS boxes only. Shimano should be delighted to receive the reel in a tackle warehouse bass box. :Razz:

P.S...
don't try and mail stuff on tax day.

tacklejunkie
04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
You know..
with such a small crank on that handle I found it easy to spin it backwards also in the excitement of a hookset.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I broke it. I'll go sit in the corner with my dunce hat. :Sad:

Swank909
04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Without the original receipt I doubt they'd cover the repair underwarranty. Shimano's service and warranty has gone to hell over the last 2 years. But heck, maybe you'll get lucky and someone on the repair line will will notice its manufacturer error and give a damn. /rant

tacklejunkie
05-19-2011, 08:51 PM
One month and one day.

Still no contact or reel from Shimano.

I guess what you have said is true!

I always used to hear all this good stuff about Shimano's customer service..

..But looks like I have to go chase down my paid repair. lol

Jaysuuun
05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I think this is my last shimano reel. :Dead Horse:
I have had others break before. (Cardiff) Just when I was thinking of buying another Shimano.
Never had a Daiwa break. (or feel like it was going to)

I couldn't decide on what kind of reel to get next. This settles it. I'll get a Daiwa next. Thanks for the input. :Cool:

tailchaser001
05-20-2011, 08:23 AM
It's my understanding that the Shimano's turn around times for repair is 4 weeks. Your still ahead of the game. If they haven't contacted you then that's usually a good sign that they will take care of you. Let us know how it goes.

DarkShadow
05-20-2011, 08:55 AM
One month and one day.

Still no contact or reel from Shimano.

I guess what you have said is true!

I always used to hear all this good stuff about Shimano's customer service..

..But looks like I have to go chase down my paid repair. lol

TJ,

I am saddened to say that the level of Shimano's customer service has really taken a toll. I don't know whether the acquisition of other companies with a combination on the economy taking a toll on their staffing, i've experienced the same thing lately.

I had a Core 100 that had a faulty drag, and I took a day off of work to drive it over to Irvine. They gave me 2 weeks lead time, and they communicated beautifully. A week later, they told me it was ready and I could either pick it up or they could ship it, my cost.

So, i had it shipped. Took out the reel, and it's in the same condition. I don't even think they looked at it.

If it wasn't fishing 'season,' i would've sent it back with a nice little note. But, because it doesn't affect the reel THAT bad, I just elected to keep using it until i have time to either send it back to them, or actually find someone who can fix it correctly.

HAVING SAID THAT, this is the first reel I've had that has had an issue. Everything else has been a battle tank.

tacklejunkie
05-20-2011, 09:17 AM
I keep looking at new shmanos all the time.
They have great ideas. I want a Curado 50 right now. Would love to put one through the dropshot test.
But every time I buy a shimano, I find a problem with it.
I want to believe/indulge/enjoy.. but I keep finding reasons not to.

Hell when I broke something I'll admit it.
I was a bit rough cranking hooksets on 3-4lb bass with this reel on 4lb line on a rod that won't break 4lb line.
I warned others to beware of doing the same (don't super crank your hooksets on the Saros 1000)
I sent along my credit info, etc.
I don't mind paying for the repair.
The wait is a killer though. I knew I shoulda drove it down there and hoped for a same day turn around (New main gear or whatever it is that stripped out)
I'm glad this wasn't my only spinner (have a daiwa 1500A working flawlessly on backup now for 4lb) or I'd be SOL this early, great season.

I like Shimano, but they keep kickin' me in the nuts.
My Daiwas are workhorses. they are oversize, heavy and have clumsy drags, but I can work around all of that. They stay working.
I may have to try the JDM Shimano from now on.
Problem is I'm afraid to fork over after the USA market shimano problems I have had.

DarkShadow
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I may have to try the JDM Shimano from now on.

I dunnnnno....I've heard that the Japanese versions are more 'fickle' because apparently the Japanese take care of their stuff. So, instead of having brass gears, they'll have aluminum, for the weight reduction. Obviously, I'm regurgitating stuff that i've 'heard.'

I've NEVER had a problem with any JDM Shimano I've had. Then again, I take care of them more than I take care of myself.

On a side note, thanks to a PM from an FNN member that shall remain nameless, Shimano called me a few days ago apologizing for the repair that wasn't made fully on my Core 100, and shipped me out a FedEx label to return the reel to them. They said they'd look at it again, and if they couldn't fix it, they'd elect to send me out a new one.

Now, that's what i call Customer Service. This is the only problem I've ever had with a Shimano, so I'm excited to see that they are pulling out all the stops to get it repaired.

Props.

tree
05-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Quick question to the OP, what happened to your Cardiff? how did it break? and what were you doing when it broke?

i was trying to find out about reliability of the cardiff, but everyone online just keeps praising it as a workhorse that cant go wrong @ ~$100.

edit: that, and i have a cardiff anyways lol.

tacklejunkie
05-24-2011, 05:15 PM
BTW I got the Saros back fixed for free.
For sale in classified section.

Tree..
I broke the cardiff levelwind casting as far as I could out into the surf waves one day with a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110.

Thing use to cast extremely far! I would cast it with no brakes on it all day long. I would have taken it to a casting competition and cleaned up shop. Seriously I could almost cast a whole spool of 12lb line right off the reel no problem.

Then.. one time.. I back lashed it. that was all it took.
The levelwind broke and never worked again. I was gona send it in but I don't know what I did with it now. It's around here somewhere. It left me at the beach that day with no halibut rod when it broke. I resorted to perching with 6lb. When I go to the beach I drive at least an hour, so to get left out there without my halibut rod kinda bums me out.

I really did like it until it broke. I was honesty disappointed to lose such a great casting reel. Thing casted two miles like all my other Shimano reels that I broke or didn't like for one reason or another. Surely it's just me or bad luck but I really do try to baby my gear. Non of it has boat rash and I don't even set it on the ground or lean it against rocks. If gear is going to break on me it will be because I'm fishing it hard.

I think I replaced that reel with a Luna 253. Doesn't cast as far but has handled 20lb fish and it's all metal in the levelwind area. I can backlash huge 8" trout swimbaits with it and nothing happens. That is saying quite a bit about the quality of the reel. I'm even using the undersized reel... I should be using the 300 at least for swimbaits but I use the 253 and it throws down with the best of them.

If you don't mind Daiwa, you should wait and save up just a bit more money and then I'd recommend you a Luna if you want a round reel. Solid as a rock!
I don't think you can go wrong if you buy one used. I seen them go for like $150 sometimes. Buy it, clean it out and ready to roll.

vortec_cruiser
05-29-2011, 10:00 PM
I have several Saros 1000s that I love to fish, and have had zero problems with them. I like them even better than my Stradics and Sustains.

tree
05-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Tree..
I broke the cardiff levelwind casting as far as I could out into the surf waves one day with a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110.

Thing use to cast extremely far! I would cast it with no brakes on it all day long. I would have taken it to a casting competition and cleaned up shop. Seriously I could almost cast a whole spool of 12lb line right off the reel no problem.

Then.. one time.. I back lashed it. that was all it took.
The levelwind broke and never worked again. I was gona send it in but I don't know what I did with it now. It's around here somewhere. It left me at the beach that day with no halibut rod when it broke. I resorted to perching with 6lb. When I go to the beach I drive at least an hour, so to get left out there without my halibut rod kinda bums me out.

I was surf fishing this past weekend @ Long Beach and a huuuuuge wave crashed over me while fishing. I jumped and it swooped my feet out from under me and I bounced on my bottom and the Cardiff kinda broke.

Took it to Jollibee to wash out all the sand, reassembled, and fixed in perfect working order. Turns out some sand had got between the spool and chassis, not allowing the spool to spin. Not bad.

edit: I happen to have gopro video footage of me eating it.

tacklejunkie
05-30-2011, 02:35 AM
I was surf fishing this past weekend @ Long Beach and a huuuuuge wave crashed over me while fishing. I jumped and it swooped my feet out from under me and I bounced on my bottom and the Cardiff kinda broke.

Took it to Jollibee to wash out all the sand, reassembled, and fixed in perfect working order. Turns out some sand had got between the spool and chassis, not allowing the spool to spin. Not bad.

edit: I happen to have gopro video footage of me eating it.
Sounds like you lucked out.
My Cardiff was broken.
I'm a reel repair person myself and wasn't able to fix it.

I don't even know what I did with it now. I get lazy and dislike sending stuff in.

Bebop
05-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I had my Shimano Real repaired and had no reciept and they made it like new again and charged me only $25.00 not bad for a 160.00 dollar real. It was an old stile Stradic and I can't complain. I love it

Nessie Hunter
05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Tree..

If you stripped the level Wind Nylon Gear in it (most probable cause) I think I may have a new one laying around??
Let me Know, Ill look for it...