PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Mexico (link to video). Anything happening on the striper side?

Geraldlim
04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I've been away for a couple of weeks in Mexico - see
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?55827-Fishing-and-freediving-Mexico-trip-got-some-nice-video
I see a lot of reports on the LMB action, but what, if anything, is happening on the striper scene? Shallow bite, deep bite, topwater, swimbait, spoon? I see that bait produced for TO.

Matt_Magnone
04-17-2011, 07:35 PM
i dont really care anymore fishing needs to be fun. enough of this secret mumbo jumbo. we can all have the same baits as one another but it all comes down to how you fish it, where you fish it, the angle of pull and yadda yadda yadda. you learned a lot this year bud! you're on the right track already. you definately kept and open mind and learned a lot of info from everyone

i'll throw it out there since a lot of people i guarantee will be tight lipped and just open and close this thread looking for a quick tip where to go or how to fish. its cool. as you know ive pretty much bailed on the stripes for a bit but i have been seeing them frequently while bass fishin. incidental catches, meter marks and good "sign" of life while scouting new water.

the stripers are definately balled up on the deep shad. if you find the bait, you'll find the stripes. plain and simple. a striper isnt going to hunker down on some bogus stretch of bank without a positive food source. they're a saltwater fish. they are the hells angels of the freshwater world. eat, crap and kill.... then do it all over again. when they exhaust a food source, they're just going to find another until the mass majority of the forage is depleted. plain and simple. shad, panfish, bass, trout, carp, stripers.. its all up for grabs.

trout plugs are still working however you need to time the "bite". its not all day with the swimbaits but believe me its still there. stock days have been bringing up the fish.
dont throw a punker while the fish are deep. dont throw deep when the fish are up. blah blah blah you already got that idea. the huddy has been getting bit consistent in the rof5 as well as the la slider. z plugs are still proven. they are racking fish in every day for the anglers that put the time into learning the bait. its unique but with time you'll figure it out. some fish have been coming off the producer and such baits. its no secret as about 50 million dudes on the bank are heaving them. the producer is a great bait and has rallied a lot of nice fish this year. both largemouth and stripers.

pay attention to bird life. birds have been diving and coming up with shad in their beaks. not everywhere, but definately there. threw the rip bait around the other day and caught a few smaller models. up to 5 pounds. some in the 12-14" range. open water in relation to wind blown shorelines. with rising water temperature the shad will make their showing soon. most likely within the next few weeks.

for the people just reading this for info. i can stress this enough.

STRIPERS ARE NOISE SENSITIVE FISH. TRY TO THINK ABOUT EVERY CAST YOU NEED TO MAKE. MAKE THEM COUNT. IF YOU INTEND TO COME INTO AN AREA AND WANT TO HAVE THE AREA SHOW YOU ITS FULL POTENTIAL. IDLE IN, SHUT DOWN UPWIND OF THE INTENDED SPOT AND SET UP A DRIFT MAKING LITTLE TO NO NOISE AT ALL. MAKES NO SENSE TO DRIVE DOWN THE SHORELINE AND THEN TRY AND HIT ALL THE SPOTS YOU PASSED ON THE WAY BACK TO THE RAMP. STRIPERS WILL DEFINATELY GO GUN SHY. IT WILL MAKE EVERYONES BITE A LOT BETTER I GUARANTEE IT.

FEWER/BUT RIGHT CASTS = MORE FISH
LESS NOISE = MORE FISH
FEWER CHURNED SPOTS= MORE FISH

ihope this helped get you back into the swing of things gerald and hope to see you soon man! great job in mexico!!!

HuskerRod
04-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Gerald,

I wondered what happened to you. Looke like your were really roughing it..cough, cough, sneeze, sneeze. Man, that video is awesome. to touch a sharks tail, the mother and her calf, all the other fish in their environment..awesome. How long can you hold your breathe on those freedives..Mr. Iron lung?

ddoskocil
04-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Just to reply to Matt's response,.....wow. Thanks. Dude can fish, and loves to share info. Respect to the fish and to the fishermen....quiet. I have learned, too, to not wake anyone else out who is fishing. Idle out to open water, then kick it in gear. Just came back from San Diego Day at the Docks. Cory and the MC Swimbaits are sick, along with the Warheads swimjigs. Spent $60 on just their booths. They are gonna kill the kelp, but Cory also spent time at DVL in the fall - will use them here too!

Desertfishen2
04-18-2011, 12:18 PM
AWESOM video ! My son and I always watch for you at the lake knew somthing was up. The fight on my lm was as always a blast. The canal should be picking up soon. Will contact you.

Geraldlim
04-19-2011, 07:57 PM
ihope this helped get you back into the swing of things gerald and hope to see you soon man! great job in mexico!!!
Thanks Matt. I think you give me more credit than is due - I still don't really know what I'm doing yet. Last 8 DVL trips have been a bust for stripers for me.

Gerald,
I wondered what happened to you. Looke like your were really roughing it..cough, cough, sneeze, sneeze. Man, that video is awesome. to touch a sharks tail, the mother and her calf, all the other fish in their environment..awesome. How long can you hold your breathe on those freedives..Mr. Iron lung?
Hey Rod, Thanks! I can hold my breath a lot less than I used to. Current dives only last 1 - 1.5 minutes. Used to be 1.5 - 2.5 minutes. That's one of the reasons I'm fishing more now - it's much less physically taxing on this old body.

Just to reply to Matt's response,.....wow. Thanks. Dude can fish, and loves to share info. Respect to the fish and to the fishermen....quiet. I have learned, too, to not wake anyone else out who is fishing. Idle out to open water, then kick it in gear.
Hear Hear! I have been learning so much from him. Not just about fishing, but about how to be considerate to others on the water.

AWESOM video ! My son and I always watch for you at the lake knew somthing was up. The fight on my lm was as always a blast. The canal should be picking up soon. Will contact you.
Thanks! Look forward to it, it will be a blast to fish together. It is still slow at the canal.