PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Boat Questions

FadedOne
04-16-2011, 09:00 PM
I got a free 12' Aluminum boat from a friend. I normally camp hauling my travel trailer so I was curious is it possible to poke around the lakes using a trolling motor? I would like to be able to throw the boat in the bed of the truck and perhaps slap on a 55lb trolling motor and be off. Is this possible?

I would like to be able to get on the water at Castaic, Convict Lake, Huntington Lake, and various other lakes.

Thanks in advance!

Viejo
04-16-2011, 09:42 PM
It is very possible and much fun. Just spent 6 hours on a local lake in the San Bernardinos with the wind blowing and my electric still had half a charge on the battery, Think of a way to recharge your battery if going for more then one day. Also...having a motor means you must be registered with valid sticker and registration. A 12 foot boat will open up a whole new world for you.

laserbrn
04-16-2011, 09:46 PM
You'll be okay on the smaller lakes. I fish the lower lake at Castaic a few times a week with just my 40lb thrust trolling motor and it's on my 14' aluminum boat. I use two large marine batteries (with a switch so when one is dead I'm not stuck). It's great fun and it's often easier than dealing with the outboard for moving around. Obviously when I hit the upper lake at Castaic though I use the outboard. It would be a bit ridiculous to try to get around a lake that big with just my trolling motor.

You might be able to pick up a small 4hp or something for that thing that'll get you puttin' around the bigger lakes on nicer days and you can lay it down inside the truck during transport.

lovefofish
04-16-2011, 10:12 PM
dont due what I did and buy a f'n 12# thrust troling motor and have a 10hp gas motor. you feel off balanced lol

FadedOne
04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
This is great news then! I can now searching for my trolling motor and gear. I am completely new to boating so my list so far is a trolling motor, battery, oars, anchor, anchor lines, dock lines, and life vests. Is there any certain type of anchor that I want?

lovefofish
04-17-2011, 11:14 AM
cement bucket and rope git r done.

laserbrn
04-18-2011, 06:19 AM
If you want cheap the cement bucket will work for such a small boat, but I prefer a slip-ring anchor. With 150' of line, the chain and shackle and everything it's about $75.00 from walmart.

Make sure you buy a decent Marine Deep Cycle battery and charger, it will make all the difference in how long you can go out and fish. The only thing I can think of that might be missing from your list is a fishfinder. Makes it a lot more interesting if you can use a fishfinder and know the depths, see the structure and understand where you are fishing.

Good luck....and enjoy it, it sure is a blast.

fishfinder
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
12' on the upper lake. :Titanic:

FadedOne
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
If you want cheap the cement bucket will work for such a small boat, but I prefer a slip-ring anchor. With 150' of line, the chain and shackle and everything it's about $75.00 from walmart.

Make sure you buy a decent Marine Deep Cycle battery and charger, it will make all the difference in how long you can go out and fish. The only thing I can think of that might be missing from your list is a fishfinder. Makes it a lot more interesting if you can use a fishfinder and know the depths, see the structure and understand where you are fishing.

Good luck....and enjoy it, it sure is a blast.

150' sounds like a lot of line does it take less space then I am thinking?

Oh and what size are the standard issue rental aluminum boats? I thought those were all little 12'ers.

fishfinder
04-18-2011, 09:03 PM
150' sounds like a lot of line does it take less space then I am thinking?

Oh and what size are the standard issue rental aluminum boats? I thought those were all little 12'ers.

the rentals at the lake are 14" usually. though i have rented some 16 footers at silverwood about 7 years ago.
but 150' of rope is not enough for castaic if you ask me. thats what i have and i am going to get 300'. you will need to put out at least double for the depth you are in.

laserbrn
04-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I said on a nicer day. You wouldn't want to be on the upper lake when the wind is howling and things get a bit choppy. You could navigate just about anything that lake can throw at you, but it could get pretty dicey in a 12'er. I've seen guys on the upper lake in Kayak's, just needs to be a nice calm day.

I have 150' and I often wish I had more, but the minimum would be about 150'. 150' of line doesn't take up very much space. The water level is up pretty high compared to what I remember in the past and my anchor can definitely feel the difference.

FadedOne
04-18-2011, 09:59 PM
I said on a nicer day. You wouldn't want to be on the upper lake when the wind is howling and things get a bit choppy. You could navigate just about anything that lake can throw at you, but it could get pretty dicey in a 12'er. I've seen guys on the upper lake in Kayak's, just needs to be a nice calm day.

I have 150' and I often wish I had more, but the minimum would be about 150'. 150' of line doesn't take up very much space. The water level is up pretty high compared to what I remember in the past and my anchor can definitely feel the difference.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking I could throw in 50' of rope and call it done. Thank goodness we have forums to help with the learning curve. I would like to get a "real" boat one day, but I am hoping I can learn some things poking around in the little 12'er =)