PDA

View Full Version : Looks can be DECIEVING: LONE PINE

jeff4321
08-05-2007, 06:44 PM
My family and friends went up to Lone Pine Campground from 8-2 to 8-5. I'm going to be completely honest, the campground is in the middle of a desert, there are thousands of flies EVERYWHERE and its HOT.

Well we arrived at the campground at around 8 PM while there was barely any light. I immediately walked on top of a HUGE rock and looked down into the stream for pools where the trout were holding up. As soon as i spotted a pool, I saw that it was filled with trout (at least 10-15). I got really excited but there was no more light for me to see what I was doing. Eventually, i went back to camp and set up my rod via Lantern light.

I woke up at around 6:00 AM it was still cool outside and my cousins and i head straight for the stream. We didnt want to spook the fish so we stayed about 15 Ft. away from the water line... While they were still setting up their lines, I was already making my first cast. I let the current bring my bait down and before i know it, i get a hit, i try to set the hook but miss. The next cast I hooked up! Its a nice rainbow trout, i stick it on my stringer and cast out again. 3rd cast and my 2nd fish! The BITE WAS ON! I caught my limit in 10 minutes! My cousins were in AWE. All of them started fishing the pool so I went around the corner to find a new pool: BINGO. This pool was PACKED with fish at least 30-40 easy. They were in full breakfast buffet mode! Anything i threw at them they hit it. ITS OKAY I CAUGHT THEM AND REALEASED THEM. At 9:30 my mom calls me back to camp for breakfast, by this time I had caught my limit (5)+ 15 more. So 20 fish. After breakfast my older cousin and I went into town and bought ice, charcol, and I had to buy PINK POWERWORMS. We get back to camp and we load up the cars and head up the mountain.

We get to the Whitney portal and the pond there is actually A POND. I thought it would be more like a small lake, but it literally is a pond. You can walk around the whole thing in 2 minutes. My first cast out w/ a pink powerworm and im already on a fish! This pond is filled with at least 500 fish. People were catching them all over.

While i was fishing i noticed this guy that looked like GEOBASS. THATS IMPERSONATOR #2.

Well, we fished for about 2 hours and I got 40 fish, all of them Released.

We went back to the stream and i caught another 15 fish, released them of course.

First day total: 85 fish!

The next day was almost the same except some of the fish in the stream were a little spooked because of the day before.. So they werent biting as much, but they were still biting. I only caught about 10 in the stream, which i released. Later we went back up to the pond, this time the bite was EVEN BETTER. I was using Pink Powerworms again, We got up there around 11:30, and i see people fishing, but not all of them were catching. I casted out with the powerworm on a split shot and hook up again. Worked the worm on the split shot for about an hour then realized how close they were to us and they were up on top. So i took off the split shot and worked the worm fly-lined. Caught a bunch, then they swam off to another side, easy for me, ill just follow them. Did this for about 2 hours, people watching me everywhere, i dont know if they were getting mad at me for catching and releasing 60+ fish. It was a great day. Showed up, Slayed the Fish CONSTANTLY.

Went back to camp and stop fishing for the day.

Final count: somehwere around 70

The last day was a slow day, the pools were basically dead, even though the fish were there, i took a hike about 1/2 a mile down the stream and ran into a NICE pool. sat there for a little while and caught about 15 nice rainbows. kept my 5, and realeased the rest.

FINAL COUNT: 170+ (only kept 10). I know this is really hard to believe w/out pictures, but My cellphone doesnt send pictures anymore :( and i dont have a digital camera :(

As for my cousins: they all did well too. but this is gunna sound cocky: not as well as me :?

your just gunna have to take my word for it and go up to LONE PINE yourself.

Make sure to get ALOT OF SALMON EGGS and POWERWORMS... Bright ones.

-Good luck

Troutman65
08-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Sounds like a CATCHING trip. LOL !!

Glad you were able to hook up with so many trout.

Thanks for the report.

Troutman765

one_leg
08-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Just what I thought, I before E, except after C. :lol:

Congrats to you.

Those sound like some real good numbers, I can see why the other anglers would have been miffed. Ha Ha.

One_Leg

Sue
08-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Nice going! Salmon eggs worked brilliantly for me up at Bishop last week :D

Granny Fish
08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Sounds like you had a blast!

I remember my first experience in the Eastern Sierras. I was thinking the samething as you. "I'm in the middle of the desert - where are the fish?"

We were camping and my husband was telling me how great the area was. He was catching fish, while I was getting the skunk for the first two days. Then one day I decided to get up before him else and let him fix his own breakfast. I caught and released fish all day!

Since then, we have had many experiences in the area. I love to hike and fish the back country. I haven't been back in a while... glad to hear you had a great time. Thanks for the report.

Wingnut
08-06-2007, 01:51 PM
That sounds like some serious fishing action! Must have been a blast, nice. :wink:

BakoBassin
08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
I can see why the other anglers would have been miffed. Ha Ha.

Sounds like when we went to Balch Park. The lakes are so small, people just cast from the other side right on top of where you're fishing. You can hear them talking too..."what are they using/doing?" :lol:

BTW Jeff, in case you didn't know, you can only have four fish on your stringer if you're still catching the same fish. Otherwise, you're over your limit. Just a friendly FYI :)

Mater
08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
What is the best way to rig up those powerworms? I am heading out on Wed. to the Sierras :D :D :D :D

Greg Madrigal
08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Great report. I BELIEVE YOU! That Lone Pine creek can be STACKED w/fish!

Tho I was skunked there earlier this season, late last summer it was just as you describe here. Rediculous. :D

Thanks for reporting.
GM

jeff4321
08-06-2007, 10:19 PM
What is the best way to rig up those powerworms? I am heading out on Wed. to the Sierras :D :D :D :D

Well i "whacky wormed them" when i was fishing the surface at the pond, it gave it ALOT of action, then in the streams i nose hooked it.

tenderloin
08-07-2007, 09:07 AM
While Lone Pine is usually heavily stocked, it has received even more trout since the fire. The DFG temporarily stopped stocking some of the creeks in the burn area and the trout meant for those waters ended elsewhere including Lone Pine

fishntoss
08-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Although it isn't great for comfortable camping because of the heat,
it is a pretty decent place to camp. One of the few that have a decent bathroom and water. When they stock that stream, fishin is pretty nice.
Even when it's been awhile since they stocked, you can usually catch
some in the stream. I've hung out there just cuz it's cooler. It's a great
place to catch a nap, along with catchin fish. May is a great month to
visit up there. Even better when you catch all the fish you did..

steve092
09-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Crazy catch man.