PDA

View Full Version : 4/14/11 Corona Lake...Lots of Lightning on a bright sunny day!!!

sapdawg11
04-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I am now thoroughly convinced…Lightning trout hate life and want to die. And what’s equally impressive is that they can’t seem to get to the “dieing” fast enough. Who knows what the deal is…maybe they are constantly mocked at the trout farm and suffer from low self-esteem, maybe their little lightning antidepressants wear off by the time they get to the Lake, or maybe they are just plain ol’ starving by the time they complete the trek down from up north. Whatever is going on, these fish come pouring down the chute and then THEY CHEW everything in their path, like little fish shaped pac-men…same color and all!!!

What a day. Yet again these fish decided to chew the paint off of everything right out of the stocking truck. WFO barely describes it. I feel like the luckiest guy in the world on days like today.

I am currently out of town and am writing this remotely but figured that some of you headed out this weekend may appreciate a basic low-down. No long saga…no vid set to music…just the nitty gritty details that should give you at least a place to start if you are planning on heading out. And with that, let’s get down to the nitty gritty…

BAIT - MINIJIGS MINIJIGS MINIJIGS. I threw nothing but minijigs all day long. 1/32 oz in yellow, yellow/white, white, and chartreuse/orange (Lip Ripperz and Trout King jigs). All of those colors got bit. Cast out the jig and give it a 3-5 second count and start retrieving slowly while tapping the tip of your rod. Pause every now and again, toss in some pause+drag…mix it up and HOLD ON!! I heard the action you provide to a minijig described perfectly by Kirk (kirkboat) the other day…

“It’s like you’re trying to tease a cat into playing with one of those mouse toys on a string. You bounce it along and that gets their attention, sometimes they’ll attack it while it’s bouncing, sometimes you have to stop it to get them to pounce!”

I couldn’t have said it better myself Kirk! You da man!!

FANTASTIC day to practice tossing the minijig. In fact, I had a couple of really nice guys (great to meet you both!) ask me what I was using and after telling them, they let me know that they had never previously had any “real” success on the minijig. Well these guys are a really quick learn b/c after giving them a couple of jigs and a 30 second tutorial, BOTH of them were SLAYING the fish. Awesome work guys!!!! Always great to see people adding new weapons to their arsenals.

ROD - 8’ Phenix Elixer (801-2)

REEL - Shimano Stradic Ci4

LINE - 2lb test Maxima

AREA - Same as before, from the courtesy dock to the dam…

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/map.jpg

OUTCOME - A WHOLE HECK OF A LOT OF FUN!!! And I got to break in the new ride while I was at it...I'm in LOVE!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/1lightning.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/4lightning.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/2lightning.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/sapdawg11/3lightning.jpg

Thanks for reading guys. For those heading out tomorrow, have a blast out there and catch a few for me…I’ll be dressed in a stuffy suit, dreaming about being on the water, wishin’ I was fishin’!!!

JAG107
04-14-2011, 10:29 PM
great report man, thanks!!!

jcskim
04-15-2011, 12:38 AM
stop spamming the forum with your reports :)
jk nice job out there man, way to slay as usual. you definitely inspired me to get a float tube for the next trout season!

phishin phool
04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Great report like always. I killed them today. Report to follow. And i see someone got a new rig:lol:

J@mes123
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
And he does it again!!!
Awsome job i will definitly be out there workin those minijigs!
''YOU DA MAN'' :UDaMan:

sapdawg11
04-15-2011, 10:08 PM
great report man, thanks!!!

No problem!!

stop spamming the forum with your reports :)
jk nice job out there man, way to slay as usual. you definitely inspired me to get a float tube for the next trout season!

Awesome!! Welcome to the club...you're going to love it!! Thanks for the kindwords.

Great report like always. I killed them today. Report to follow. And i see someone got a new rig:lol:

The new rig is a dream. I'm in love. And the fact that I could get it in the color "blood" (same may call it red) was just an added bonus!

And he does it again!!!
Awsome job i will definitly be out there workin those minijigs!
''YOU DA MAN'' :UDaMan:

JAMES!! What's up buddy?! Let's get out there and pull on some fish dude! And no, YOU DA MAN!!!

Thanks guys, the awesome comments are ALWAYS appreciated. Have a blast out there this weekend...I'm hoping to get out for an evening session with a slightly different mission...be sure to say hi if we cross paths! THANKS!!!!

Daryl
04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the report. Good info as always.

I'm wondering how you like the Prowler compared to your Fat Cat.

sapdawg11
04-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the report. Good info as always.

I'm wondering how you like the Prowler compared to your Fat Cat.

Thanks Daryl. And Holy mackerel, you have a yellow Super Fat Cat too! Awesome!!

My Super Fat Cat is an amazing tube. I can't say enough good things about that boat. If you knew how much I babied that thing as a result of my affection for it, you'd definitely think I have a problem. With that being said, and with the yellow boat far from earshot...I've found a new love in my Prowler. The boat is just amazing. Rather than using the Summit Valve in conjunction with the 2 "tube style" valves like on the Super Fat Cat, the Prowler is inflated through 3 summit valves. This means using the same adapter for all three valves and it also means that the thing can be full of air in a heartbeat. The seat bladder extends the length of the boat which means the weight capacity is a little bit higher, but for a guy like me that weighs about 185, it means that I seat a tad bit higher out of the water in this contoured seat that they have on the Prowler. And the entire boat is covered in some new type of fabric that seems to be even more durable than the canvas on the Super Fat Cat.

There are a ton of bells and whistle that come with the Prowler including a hydration bladder and monster pockets behind the seat but I think my absolute favorite part about the boat is the removable side pockets and the ability to buy extra pockets from Outcast. This means that I can have a pocket full of jigs, a pocket full of bait, a pocket for the harbor, a pocket for worms, etc etc and all I have to do is pickup the pockets that I want to use for that day's fishing and I'm all set. When I'm done, I can unbuckle them and store them just like they are their own tackle boxes. For a guy like me that wants to be able to pick up and go quickly and pack up and leave quickly, this really is ideal. And not to mention that the pockets are huge! The big tackle trays fit in them no problem. Really really cool stuff.

So yup, I love my new boat but I refuse to sell my yellow SFC. That float tube brought me too many great memories and amazing times on the water and I know that there are still many more left in it! My guess is that many of those days will occur when it's loaned out to a friend, but that's perfectly ok by me!!!

Thanks for asking and let me know if I can clear anything else up.

NachoFish
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Awesome report, as usual. I always finding myself chuckling at some point while reading your reports. Nice write up on the comparison of the two float tubes.

d

TaperSteve
04-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Awesome report and pics! Thanx for posting!

TS

anglering41
04-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Tried the mini Lip Ripperz jigs last Friday off shore by Stocking Cove, but there was tons of moss that blew in the night before, so I ended up using the powerbait mouse. Green on Green dunked in Bite on Garlic did the trick and slayed 5 Lightening Trout in the first hour, then 2 Rainbow later that afternoon with my son.

Question, which weight mini jig works better for Corona the 1/16 or the 1/32 oz? Why? I have the Green, White and dirty Pumpkin. Also tried the Lip Ripperz trout love sauce attractant, and noticed everyting it touch it stained.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/anglering41/100_0487.jpg

sapdawg11
04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Awesome report, as usual. I always finding myself chuckling at some point while reading your reports. Nice write up on the comparison of the two float tubes.

d

Donna! We NEED to get you out there!! I have a yellow super fat cat rigged and ready the second you're able to get floatin' so name the time and place and I'll be there with yellow boat in hand!!!

Awesome report and pics! Thanx for posting!

TS

Thanks TS!! We gotta get you in a tube my man. It would be a bit difficult to troll on one of these things but if anyone could figure it out, it would be you!!

Tried the mini Lip Ripperz jigs last Friday off shore by Stocking Cove, but there was tons of moss that blew in the night before, so I ended up using the powerbait mouse. Green on Green dunked in Bite on Garlic did the trick and slayed 5 Lightening Trout in the first hour, then 2 Rainbow later that afternoon with my son.

Question, which weight mini jig works better for Corona the 1/16 or the 1/32 oz? Why? I have the Green, White and dirty Pumpkin. Also tried the Lip Ripperz trout love sauce attractant, and noticed everyting it touch it stained.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/anglering41/100_0487.jpg

99% of the time I'm using the 1/32 oz jigs. I'll break out the 1/16 oz when it's windy and/or the water is movin' quick. The action on the 1/32 oz in normal conditions is pretty ideal. You don't want ajig to be jumping up and down by feet, you want it to be doing it's thing in the strike zone for as long as possible. The 1/16 oz jig obviously weighs 2x's as much as the 1/32 and thus when you tap it when the water is quiet, it jumps up and falls down considerably, weaving its way in and out of the strike zone. However, when the water or wind is on the move, the bow in the line that you see is enough to keep a bait suspended, and if you're using a 1/32 in those conditions, you're bait could literally be inches below the surface. This isn't always a bad thing, but if you do indeed want your jig to go a little deeper and have the appropriate action in windy conditions, the 1/16 is the way to go. By windy I mean a "real" wind...maybe a few small white caps, working to maintain your position in the water on the tube type of wind. And AWESOME picture by the way!! Pretty cool to see a father and son truly stoked on the day's slay!!!

Hope that helps and again to everyone...THANKS!!