PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid , Wensday , Shorefishing , Dead Skunk , Barbless Bassing

Shore Stalker
04-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Got by the water at about 9am. Fished along the rocks with a roboworm with no luck. Then out of the corner of my sunglasses I see a dark spot moving around. I quikly reel in and toss on it. Reel in my slack and fish on. It was probably less then a pound but it was the first fish I had caught in 12 outings (winter fishing was not kind to me at all). The hook was going in and out and in and out of its mouth so rather then tare the fish up I flatened the barb of the hook. I used the same hook for the rest of the day.

I moved on to a spot by the dock where there was shelter from the waves and caught another Bass but it was my first ever barbless Bass. Another dink but the smell of Skunk was officially off me. That spot died so I moved on to as far as I could walk before the shore just ends. Caught a nicer bass by the drop off ledge. Then the wind picked up and being on the main body of the lake was no longer a good idea. Caught another strong fighter on the way out of the area. These fish may have been small but they could sure bend a #2 Gamagatsu Worm hook and make you tighten you drag. Hit the spot by the dock again on the way out for a nice 3 pounder that was blind in one eye.

So thats 5 fish. 4 on the barbless hook and 1 nice unit
Lure-Aarons Magic Roboworm
One 6in straight tail caught 2 fish
One 8in curly tail caught 3
Attractent- Smelly Jelly/Bass Hammer formula
Rig-Carolina with a split shot no swivle.
Method- Slow reeling.

Barbless is the way to go. These fish jumped , shock , turned & burned and peeled drag. I did not miss one fish on the barbless and the hook sliped right out with no effort at all when released with no evidence of its presince on the fish. The Roboworm behaved the same as it would with a barbed hook. Im sticking to this method. I'v lost plenty of fish with a barbed hook so I have no reson to beleave that it will make a differance now that I have fought these fish with a barbless.

You should give it a shot.
Tight lines!

Frequent Flyer
04-14-2011, 07:05 PM
good job on the barbless. i usually use barbless and they will soetimes come ff wen they jump or if u dont hav a tight line. at least for trout if u dont set it well

flytyingreloader
04-15-2011, 02:34 AM
Full agreement with Shore Stalker on the 'barbless hooks' matter. 5 of us caight and released hundreds of lake trout--northern pike--and arctic grayling over a week's trip in Northwest Territories last year. ALL FISH were caught on barbless flies, or on trolled/cast spoons and spinners with single barbless hooks. The farm rate was no higher than when using barbed hooks, and release of fish was MUCH easier to accomplish.

kerryvbc1
04-15-2011, 06:25 AM
I was out at pyramid on Wednesday too. I dont know if you remember seeing a white bass boat out there? When I launched around 9 it was very calm. Fished the marina for nothing. The wind started. Headed out to a couple striper spots with zero. I got tired of fighting the wind and headed over to Tin cup. The wind stopped and I started bringing in some small bass as well. Used the same ROBO worm Arrons Magic. Turned out to be a very calm afternoon on the water. Not a bad day over all. Headed back out there Sat.