PDA

View Full Version : Turkey vultures eating bass

VIVID_FLY
04-14-2011, 05:09 PM
I was at the Pudd today 04 14 2011 and at the burned out pier there was a small flock of Turkey Vultures hanging out a picnic table. Lunch was served. They were picking apart what i estimated to be at least an 8lb or more LMB. I only took the pic of the bird. The bass already had guts and eyeballs removed.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/Puddingstone%202011%2004%2014/WP_000171.jpg

Saw a large DEAD carp at the PIPES also no Turkey Vultures yet ...

UPPER parking lot at swimbeach there was 4 more Turkey Vultures eating a road killed rabbit or squirrel could not tell from the distance in my binoculars.

WHERE ARE THE REDS and BLUES

Cartman
04-14-2011, 05:27 PM
You see dead bass around the lake. Not all catch and release is equal.

smokehound
04-15-2011, 08:41 PM
You see dead bass around the lake. Not all catch and release is equal.Shallow water is generally very poor in oxygen, and bedding bass subject themselves to all sorts of dangerous conditions, they are extremely vulnerable to ectoparasites during these times, and the combination of starvation, abnormally high parasite-load, and low oxygen can easily kill bass that arent healthy.

often they literally work themselves to death. The energy they spend making a bed is often enough alone to kill them, because they arent able to replenish the energy spent spawning!

Then they have to go and tend to the eggs for a while, then even after they hatch, they stick around and look after the fry, til they use their yolk up.

I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to bad C+R ethics, one cant really tell for sure unless an autopsy is performed.. But at this point, only that stuffed vulture knows for sure!