PDA

View Full Version : Late WON Irvine opener report

candyman
04-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Well the day started off really late, my buddies and I didn't get to the lake until 5am. This was probably the worst mistake we made coming to a tournament day late. We were basically at the end of the line, but what surprised me were the 100 people behind us lol. The registration line was a little ridiculous.... most people had preregistered but yet the people with late entries got in faster than we did. I hope next yr they find a way to get registration going more smoothly.

Lets get to the fishing.....we decided we were going to hit up the west shore because we figured the whole lake was gonna troll and didn't want to deal with the traffic. We anchored up and threw our lines out but lucky us the boat we borrowed only has one front anchor.... everyone knows how windy it was so we were pretty much turning in circles all day messing up our lines.

The first fish hit my line maybe around 9a.m. The fish bit on a inflated crawler with a white egg dipped in BITE ON. I knew it was a big one by how it started to peel line, but the sad part is it starts to tangle everyones line around me. I try to keep tension but suddenly the beast jumps and spits the hook. Everyone was just dead silent after that... the guys next to us were happy we lost the fish because they had a 6lber and the fish that was just lost made it look small. I was pretty much bummed out for the rest of the day.

Fishing was slow we tried different spots and ending back up on the westshore. I finally landed a 2.5lb steelhead around 230 on orange powerbait. Im just glad I didn't skunk. Overall it seemed fishing was tough, it was pretty much a hit or miss for most people.

Great event and great prizes!! hopefully next time we do a little better!

TaperSteve
04-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Bummer on the big one coming unbuttoned. Thanx for posting!

TS

5150fishn
04-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Too bad you lost that toad! It happens unfortunatley. I lost two on the troll and they both jumped and spit the lure but neither of mine were big so I wasn't too bummed. At least you beat the skunk. I sure didn't.LOL Thanks for the report.

Hitts0n
04-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Dayum,well at least u got to fish and didnt get the skunk! Come and join us 4/23 at Irvine for 0ur event !!
Camp friday night!!

candyman
04-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Dayum,well at least u got to fish and didnt get the skunk! Come and join us 4/23 at Irvine for 0ur event !!
Camp friday night!!

Yea I am happy that I finally got to fish and didn't skunk! I will definately try to make it out there sat, its been a long time since ive camped with 57 guys