PDA

View Full Version : Ketchikan ALASKA Fishing Extravaganza!!! 07/2007

ryryk
08-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Well, after a long hiatus from FNN , I'M BAAACCKK!!!!!

Let me tell you, if you haven't been to Alaska, then you need to go. It's completely awesome to see and I will definately be going back!!
July21st i left Seattle, WA for a 7 day cruise to alaska aboard the "Norwegian Star". Spent an entire day at sea on Sunday and @ 7.a.m. on Monday i would experience some of the greatest Salmon fishing in Alaska.
Finally after months of planning this trip here i am!

Anyways i'll try and keep this short and sweet, and let the pics do the talking.

Got off the bus at Knudson Cove Marina where we would be fishing out of. We met our Skipper , Kyle and took off into the ocean to the fishing ground aboard the "Pursuit"

Weather was not great. it was raining but it rained 203 days out of the year in 2006 in Ketchikan so we delt with it. Cloudy all day, and a mix of Rain, mist, and spinkle.

Once we got to fishing the action was pretty constant. within the first 10 minutes we were catching not fishing. Rods were getting hit left and right. at times it was pretty hectic. Double hook ups, and a couple Triple hook ups!
We only had a few hours to do our fishing and boy did we make it worth it.
I myself caught 5 fish that went to the cooler. also farmed 5+ fish one felt pretty good. Caught my biggest fish ever a little over 7lbs
My girlfriend Michelle caught 5 or 6 but didn't farm as many maybe 3 or 4, also her biggest fish ever went well over 8lbs!!
My uncle Jason caught himself 5 and farmed at least 5 himself.
The other two guys that weren't in our groups managed just as many even a Coho Salmon that went about 12lbs.

it was awesome thats all i can say. Im going back next summer for sure!!!
you'll have to view all three slide shows for the full experience!! ENJOY!!!
Part 1
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/ ... ca8ab8.pbw (http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/klumperphotos/?action=view&current=b7ca8ab8.pbw)

Part 2
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/ ... c5d465.pbw (http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/klumperphotos/?action=view&current=3bc5d465.pbw)

Part 3
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/ ... f04364.pbw (http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/klumperphotos/?action=view&current=9bf04364.pbw)

one_leg
08-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Congrats to you, Ryan. Welcome Back.

That cooler shot reminds me of TO, or BBF, only bloodier! Thanks.

One_Leg

zZaNg
08-05-2007, 05:05 PM
great job ryan. :thumb:

Wingnut
08-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Excellent trip, welcome back!

Joshua
08-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Glad you had a good time.
Once you get bit by the bug, you are done. One suggestion. Head to Anchorage, or Juneau. The fish get much bigger and better.
Dude, if you have cash for a cruise, then you have cash for a straight fishing trip on the Kenai River.

ryryk
08-06-2007, 07:30 AM
yeah i'm already saving haha.
i don't have that much cash.
i saw your alaska trip Joshua, and you caught those kings on the kenai right??? those are some monsters.
the guy said if i go early in june the kings are running around there more. but yeah i've been bit by the bug and i can't wait to go again!

~JoMama~
08-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Great pics ... fabulous fish ... scary clouds!

Hitts0n
08-09-2007, 01:32 PM
oh man i'm glad you sent me this link ! I didnt see this post! I dont surf!

Thats good you guys had lots of fun and lots of hook ups ! How was the eating? What bait did you use! Welcome back home ! Its time to 0wn Pyramid once again !! i'll be there tomorrow morning to show 0ne_leg how I 0wn !!

one_leg
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM

Thats good you guys had lots of fun and lots of hook ups ! How was the eating? What bait did you use! Welcome back home ! Its time to 0wn Pyramid once again !! i'll be there tomorrow morning to show 0ne_leg how I 0wn !!

Ha, the only thing you 0wn is my empty 40 of 211. Hitts, I can't believe you dranked my 40. :lol:
I trust you Hitts, I just ain't never seen you 0wn anything.
But then again, you've never seen me 0wn anything either....lol

Good luck to you all.
:idea: Maybe I should come up there and teach you how to 0wn :?:

One_Leg

ryryk
08-10-2007, 08:49 AM

great eating. had my moms cook some up with balsalmic vinegar and brown sugar, pan seared it was so good haha.. got more in the freezer!
for bait we trolled some herring behind a flasher. there was a little plastic tube squid lookin thing and herring on some of them.
i'll be hitting up pyramid soon. good luck at the lake show one_leg how its done!

211 40??? jeezus!! gets u trashed but taste like trash 8)

one_leg
08-10-2007, 11:40 AM
good luck at the lake show one_leg how its done!

211 40??? jeezus!! gets u trashed but taste like trash 8)

I was suffering from a case of Sunburn, Windburn, and Hittsburn.

One_Leg

Troutman65
08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Cool Trip !!! Nice pics.

Thanks for sharing on FNN.

Troutman65

Brodee
08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
I took my annual trip up to see family and fish the derby. The fishing was slow and its getting slower from year to year. Coho's hadn't even come in yet, probably due to the long winter they had up there. Some days we'd have 4 rods in and only get a few bites during the day...Anyways if I were you I'd plan my next trip into Sitka, Dutch Harbor/Bristol Bay or Vancouver. Sitka is easily the best fishing grounds in the southeast. DH/BB has the best Halibut fishing in the world (100-200lb are still small for there..) and among the best Salmon fishing..Kings grow huge here. The Kenai River of course has massive Kings but sometimes it can take up to 24 rod hours to land that fish.

Nice to hear you Loved Alaska..I guess I've taking it for granted growing up there and once moving away get to fish it atleast once a year still. I'd say it's a must visit for everyone. No other place in the world like it..

ryryk
08-22-2007, 11:00 AM
im definately going back. i would like to make it a yearly trip!

the skipper said it was his best day out on the water. previous best was 22 fish and i we netted at least 28. all four rods were poppin off the down rigger left and right.

how could i not want to go back?? hahaha. i want to try the halibut next.

Hitts0n
08-22-2007, 07:31 PM

the skipper said it was his best day out on the water. previous best was 22 fish and i we netted at least 28. all four rods were poppin off the down rigger left and right.

you trip of a life time sounds like my normal everyday fishing trips.....lol...j/k :wink:

Ray Lopez
08-28-2007, 04:01 PM

you trip of a life time sounds like my normal everyday fishing trips.....lol...j/k :wink:
lol please hitts you know you never catch sh*t lol :wink:

nice report dude. going to alaska has been a dream of mine for a long time. But i want to go for Barn door halibut not salmon. i wouod love to pull in a huge hali that would be awesome

ryryk
08-29-2007, 08:11 AM
yeah seriously. next time i go (just got a raise at work, might be next summer!!) im going for halibut and those gigantor kings.