PDA

View Full Version : HB pier Sat

smokehound
04-09-2011, 10:17 PM
went with a couple of friends..

Anchovies were everywhere, kept nose-hooking live 'chovies, but something kept biting them at the tail, so I pinned another live one under the dorsal fin, and tossed it out... five minutes later, I got a nice little thornback ray..

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/downsized_0409111158a.jpg

My friend caught a smaller one, around 6-inches long. Mine was about 16 inches or so..

No mackerel anywhere, Tried mussels in the shallows for nada.. ...I miss surf fishing at newport...

ghetto dad
04-09-2011, 11:30 PM
then GO surf fishing at Newport!! lol

nice job man..great report....i dont like that pier...its SOOOOO damn high!

GD

DockRat
04-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Congrats on catching the chovies. Now you need gamefish.
DR

smokehound
04-10-2011, 08:29 AM
then GO surf fishing at Newport!! lol

nice job man..great report....i dont like that pier...its SOOOOO damn high!

GDI know, right? There IS one good thing about this pier-- the surf zone generally produces for me.

The pilings here tend to be more encrusted than the others, too. But that long drop kills it for me, makes it difficult to cast smaller weights very far..

Great cuda and bonito spot in summer, though.

Congrats on catching the chovies. Now you need gamefish.
DRI should have brought some peas.. the pilings are totally encrusted. This pier does attracts lots of opaleye and zebraperch. But I went on the fly, and only had the basics.. I didn't even have bait when I arrived. I didn't catch the chovies, a couple of nice anglers next to me kept letting me grab a couple. They were perfectly-sized. That's a plus to pier fishing-- someone can always spare a piece of bait.

beaver825
04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
nice little thornback i caught a huge one last year off seal beach pier. I went to SB pier last night caught nothing but crabs. damn pesky things.

smokehound
04-10-2011, 10:16 PM
nice little thornback i caught a huge one last year off seal beach pier. I went to SB pier last night caught nothing but crabs. damn pesky things.you can avoid them by switching to a high/low rig. At the far end of the pier, fishing directly on the bottom is a bad idea, due to the massive horde of starfish and crabs.. I was using a C-rig, however I used a 1-oz Pyramid Sinker instead. Actually seems to work better than a barrel for a c-rig on the pier. The only reason I wasnt getting raped by crabs, was because I back-pinned the chovies, and gave them tons of slack line.

beaver825
04-10-2011, 10:28 PM
you can avoid them by switching to a high/low rig. At the far end of the pier, fishing directly on the bottom is a bad idea, due to the massive horde of starfish and crabs.. I was using a C-rig, however I used a 1-oz Pyramid Sinker instead. Actually seems to work better than a barrel for a c-rig on the pier. The only reason I wasnt getting raped by crabs, was because I back-pinned the chovies, and gave them tons of slack line.

thanks for the advice. i will keep that in mind the next time i go.