PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Upper Lake shore fishing

vistacourt
04-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Hello all. I am new and this is my first post. Wondering where the striper bite is. I have read on these forums in the past that the dam is a good spot to try with mackerel. I am also looking for some advice on tackle as I have never fished for striper before.

Thanks in advance

AFFINITIVE1
04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Use light floroline......mosQito hooks.......sardines..40 to 60 feet @ Dam line. Dont hook up to DAM future ticket waiting. GL

vistacourt
04-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks. But what does "Dont hook up to DAM future ticket waiting" mean?

tpfishnfool
04-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Go to the west ramp area and try the first point. Then if that doesnt work walk the trail around the first cove and fish the big point and down torwards the cliff area. good luck and post results.

vistacourt
04-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the specific info. I am going Wednesday with my brother and I will post results good or bad. This is my year to beat the skunk at Castaic!

fishfinder
04-10-2011, 05:10 PM
hello all. I am new and this is my first post. Wondering where the striper bite is. I have read on these forums in the past that the dam is a good spot to try with mackerel. I am also looking for some advice on tackle as i have never fished for striper before.

Thanks in advance

warning!!!!! Don't go striper fishing... it is addictive and you will always want to go back for stripers.

jergjergens
04-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Purchase blood worms at Gallions. $10.00. Get a swivel with a 1 foot+ leader and a 3/4 ounce egg sinker. Go out on the dam. Pass the end of the buoys and go a hundred yards or more. Throw out the blood worms as far as you can and set the pole down. I catch 2 or 3 every time. sometimes more.

reservoir dog
04-10-2011, 10:44 PM
If you're fishing from the shore go off the dam with cut anchovies.

vistacourt
04-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Just got back and got skunked today. The day of striper fishing up top turned into bass fishing in the lagoon. Apparently the west ramp was closed and the dam was starting to get windy so we fished the lagoon. I used 8lb line, roboworm on a texas rig and fished up and down the east shore north of the dock. Perfect calm day but no bites. I was careful to stay back from the water and keep my shadow out of the way buy I got nothing. I think it must be my technique as I feel I nailed the tackle part. Thoughts anyone?

SDDave
04-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Time on the water will be your ticket, the lagoon is a hood starting point, Texas rig or dropshot, u might drop down to six pound test. If you walking the shoreline right now , look for the lighter colored spots In the bottom
This good mean a fish is staging in that area getting a nest ready, it's still a little early, the fish are just getting started and will leave a area if hassled to much.
Watch your bait, Use white colored baits, white shows the best at the deepest depths.
I don't no how you feel about using live bait but a half a night crawler on a dropshot will produce!

Stripers are super super slow up top, I fished yesterday mid morning until 3 and worked reaction baits that are a key search bait and never even had a follower, went in other areas and worked the sonar and didn't see what I should have. Never ran down to the bouy line to see if there was anything going on down there.
When the guys that fish the main lake shore areas show up that's when you can tell the stripers are on the bait.
Look me up I offer differnt thing for people wanting to learn specific stuff for bass and striper, trolling or soaking sardine can be done but I perfer more hands on, but those techniques can produce.
Again time on the water and some direction and the right time of year and you'll get em!

laserbrn
04-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Things were starting to pick up and the temperatures dropped again. When I was there a week or so ago the water temp was 63 - 64 degrees and at least the males seemed to be starting to prep some spots (as mentioned above, light spots indicating prepped beds), but the cold came through over this past week and it seemed to blow the fish back off. The water temp dropped back down in the 50's and the bite just fell off.

As soon as we get a nice string of warm days I'm sure that it will be on. I would like to remind you if you do go pulling fish off of beds, please release them. There's nothing worse than keeping bedding fish. That's the fishing future your messin' with.

As far as stripers, I really don't know what's going on. I thought the striper bite would be in full swing by now. Have we been all too successful in striper fishing? Is the striper fishery dwindling or is it just unseasonably cold in the water?