PDA

View Full Version : mini jig fishing

gavin310
04-07-2011, 05:11 PM
can someone give me some pointers on how to fish with mini jigs from shore? i'm always getting caught up on the bottom when i try to bounce them, but is that even the right way to fish a mini jig? should i be keeping the jig off the bottom? also do you just fish the jig at the end of the line, or do you do a drop-shot setup? thanks for any tips

Frequent Flyer
04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
1. yes u want to keep the jig off the botom and in the strike zone
2. if u are getting caught on the bottom, reel a little faster when u jig it back in
3. u can also add a bobber about 1.5-4 feet up ur jig. cast out then wait a few seconds while the jig is sinking. bounce ur rod tip and ull see the bobber moving. u want it to move but not jerk. pause and repeat. when the bobber goes down, set the hook hard and reel fast (u have to tighten the line from the bobber down to the end or your rod)
4. u just tie the jig to the end of ur line with ur favorite knot
5. u can drop-shot but with a tube without a jighead inside. i like to nose hook the empty tube

TUNAVIC
04-07-2011, 07:59 PM
What size jig heads are you using?You need to use 1/64oz or 1/32oz hard to cast but you'll get hung up less.
Also start jigging it before you reach bottom on 2lb test line.

Frequent Flyer
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
also a rod thats 6'6" to about 8' are the best because u can cast farther with 2 lb, and it enables u to feel how ur jig is moving in the water

gavin310
04-07-2011, 09:02 PM
cool thanks for that info, really helpful. i was using 1/32 i'm pretty sure but with 4 lb line and couldn't get it out very far. guess i gotta spool my reel with some 2 lb. i was under the impression you should jig it on the bottom, which it sounds like was the wrong way. my rod is 7'9" and is a great jigging rod so it should do the job really well. thanks again

Frequent Flyer
04-07-2011, 09:24 PM
that sounds perfect. this is my first year fishing with 2 lb. and ive seen a huge improvement in not only bites but castability. really helps

gavin310
04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
that sounds perfect. this is my first year fishing with 2 lb. and ive seen a huge improvement in not only bites but castability. really helps

i gotta say i'm a little nervous about 2 lb. that stuff is THIN. but i've never snapped 4 lb line except on purpose so i'm sure i'll do OK with 2 lb. my stradic ci4 has a damn good drag... ;)

Frequent Flyer
04-07-2011, 09:31 PM
first trip out i was worried bout it also. i havent broken 1 fish off because of the line tho, it was eithr my falut or it jupmd so also my fault, lol. just hav ur nice cI4 ready. wer u the guy with the iron feater?

gavin310
04-07-2011, 09:33 PM
yep i've been using my iron feather lately. the damn thing is pretty much made for mini jigging so i figured it's time to learn... lol

Frequent Flyer
04-07-2011, 09:36 PM
yea ull c that jiggin will most of the time out fish bait. or at least at the city parks on a good day cuz thats wat i no. i lik it bettr cuz it keeps u active and not half asleep. ahhh good times

gavin310
04-07-2011, 09:41 PM
i prefer to be active that's why i've been using spinners and small kastmasters lately. i've also been avoiding the pay lakes at all costs lately cause of the crowds, but that takes a lot of driving. last weekend i went to lake jennings in san diego and before that it was bishop, kern river, and lake isabella. the only time i've been trout fishing at a city park lake it actually wasn't as crowded as sarl or corona, so maybe i should try that out again. i gotta check the stocking schedules in the LA area.

Frequent Flyer
04-07-2011, 09:47 PM
ooh thats crazy cool. i usually just hit up city parks cuz well i cant even drive yet...dont usually go to corona cuz its 22 bucks instead of 4 at rancho jurupa. plus most of the time at rancho ther arent as many poachers and if ther r we cal them out. so i cant wait to drive and hit up the sierras and stuff lik that

IncredibleHuck
04-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Just spool up with Izorline XXX 2# and you'll be fine tossing the jigs with it.

Trout 1
04-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Good tips guys!! i just wanna toss one more in.....NEVER FISH WITH P-LINE!!!!!! Izorline is legit! its all i will use!

Drew

Cartman
04-08-2011, 08:33 AM
If you jigs are getting hung up you can try using weedless jig heads. There are a few brands, though I don't think they fall into the "mini" jig category. Charlie Brewer is the pioneer in this field. Not only are his jigs weedless, they are also shaped to give a more horizonal drop, sorta like the trout magnet.

http://www.crappie-slider.com/weedless_crappie_slider_whyhow

Bass Pro Shop carries them as small as 1/32.

http://www.basspro.com/Charlie-Brewers-Slider-Heads-Crappie/product/52776/-952034

billy b
04-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Is there a good place to get the Izor XXX on line ... the tackle shops up here are limited.

THANKS MUCHO!!!

AngryAgent
04-08-2011, 03:37 PM
2lb Ande or Izor is my choice but I have a few bros that use Pline and have no complaints, to each their own right-whatever works for you.

As far as bumping the bottom and being in the strike zone most of the time I am fishing a jig it is bouncing off of the bottom. Most of the time when trout are active they are cruising the shoreline towards the bottom so the strike zone is the bottom. Other times I start my retrieve as soon as my jig hits the water just depends on what is going on that day with the fish. Don't trip off of it too much just try to vary your retrieve speed and depth. I always start out on the bottom, when the trout are biting there it is usually a banner day. Also try fishing with a 64ths if you're not getting bit on the 32nds. I tend to fish with 64ths more now then ever before because the results speak for themselves. They don't cast as far but the fall rate drives trout crazy. Good luck Gavin!

Trout-Slayer77
04-08-2011, 05:33 PM
one helpful hint. pinch on a tiny split shot weight about 2 feet above the mini jig for extra casting distance.

and 3lb maxima line in moss green works just fine. ive caught up to 6.5lb rainbows on that set up.

i use a 7ft rod.

AngryAgent
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
one helpful hint. pinch on a tiny split shot weight about 2 feet above the mini jig for extra casting distance.

and 3lb maxima line in moss green works just fine. ive caught up to 6.5lb rainbows on that set up.

i use a 7ft rod.

That might work for casting distance and even catch a few fish but it completely takes away from the free action of the jig itself. If you're going to split shot use a power worm, the jig is weighted for a reason.

I'm not bashing your method, if it works for you by all means.

Trout-Slayer77
04-08-2011, 05:52 PM
That might work for casting distance and even catch a few fish but it completely takes away from the free action of the jig itself. If you're going to split shot use a power worm, the jig is weighted for a reason.

I'm not bashing your method, if it works for you by all means.

I mentioned this method because he said he had problems with distance when casting. I don't always use this method, but it does help, especially in windy conditions. i also underlined the word TINY, because there will still be plenty of free action on the jig itself when the split shot is 2-3 ft above the jig. Believe me, it works. I've done very nicely @ PVR in bishop with detailed reports.

But to each there own. Also the way you retrieve the jig plays a big part on the action of the jig as well.

FSHNLIC
04-08-2011, 05:56 PM
A couple other add on's is that slow is usually better and I like to let my index finger slightly flicker the line while slowly reeling and bouncing my rod tip

oakboy
04-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Some may take this wrong but i was stoked when i found this site. They have mini jigs and jig heads for crazy cheap. I am getting my first order later this week, i will let you know how they are. I love fishing mini jigs! I have caught bass, blue gil, crappie and trout on them. i usually just throw it out and give it a medium retreive. One of my top ten baits for sure.

chuckanddeb.com

<><
KP

AngryAgent
04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Some may take this wrong but i was stoked when i found this site. They have mini jigs and jig heads for crazy cheap. I am getting my first order later this week, i will let you know how they are. I love fishing mini jigs! I have caught bass, blue gil, crappie and trout on them. i usually just throw it out and give it a medium retreive. One of my top ten baits for sure.

chuckanddeb.com

<><
KP

Seems like good prices on the bass jigs too..

d1LedHed
04-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Make your own - jigcraft.com

oakboy
04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Finally use my mini jigs today at RSM lake for bass. Caught 2 in 2 hours on the 2" Orange and brown jig. My buddy caught a catfish on one, weird!

KP

Frequent Flyer
04-20-2011, 09:01 PM
good job. the mini jig will work on just about anything. i hav yet to catch a cat on 1 but i saw and 8 lbr. caught on a white and yellow one a year ago. we all thought it was a giant trout haha but then that thing popped out

jcskim
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM
not to thread jack, but I was watching the marlon meade mini jig video on youtube and he said he put bb's in his bobber. I have a question how do you open up the bobber or poke a hole in it without cracking the bobber? Ive used the clear casting bubble with a mini jig but wanted to try the rattle bobber.

billy b
04-21-2011, 03:58 PM
not to thread jack, but I was watching the marlon meade mini jig video on youtube and he said he put bb's in his bobber. I have a question how do you open up the bobber or poke a hole in it without cracking the bobber? Ive used the clear casting bubble with a mini jig but wanted to try the rattle bobber.

I just found some on the web and bought them ... but maybe I"m more lazy than you. Let me know if you need any help.

oakboy
04-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Im sure if you drill a hole in it and plug it or tape it shut you would be fine.

<><
KP