PDA

View Full Version : New To Irvine Lake

Big Belly
04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I just want to ask if anyone can give me some pointers on fishing Irvine Lake? This Saturday April 9th will be my first time fishing at Irvine and if anyone can give me a heads up on some hot spots and what bait the fish favor there. I fish beside my Brother Big Daddy but unfortunately this weekend he won.t be out there with me so he suggested this site and he had nothing but good things to say about all of you! Please if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated!!!

Thank You!

TaperSteve
04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
There is a big tourney this Saturday at the Vine. If you're interested in the tournament its the Western Outdoor News Trout Opener. They'll be stocking 200 tagged fish worth great prize and they'll also be raffling off alot of good prizes including a 14'6" aluminum boat with a 15HP motor on it. Real fun event, had a blast fishing it last year. If your not interested in the tourney the lake will be open to the general public at 9pm. Either way hope to see you out there this Saturday at my favorite lake, the Vine!

TS

PS - Ohh and welcome to FNN!!!

5150fishn
04-06-2011, 11:26 AM
As TaperSteve said the lake won't open to the general public until 9A.M. unless you are in the tourney. If anyone has this lake dialed in it would be Big Daddy! Tips for where and how to fish the lake depends alot on if you are fishing from a boat or from shore. Once we have that info. I am sure you could get pointed in the right direction. Welcome to FNN!

fishnbear
04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
My wife and I will be at the lake for the first time too. Driving up from san diego to participate in the WON trout tournamet. Anyone care to share tips for a fellow float tuber? It looks like a big lake. Can someone suggest a couple good locations? I'd hate to cramp up my legs fishing at the wrong locations, more importantly I want my wife to have a good time, or else it will be a loooong drive home if she doesn't pull on some fish.

Thisfool
04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I just want to ask if anyone can give me some pointers on fishing Irvine Lake? This Saturday April 9th will be my first time fishing at Irvine and if anyone can give me a heads up on some hot spots and what bait the fish favor there. I fish beside my Brother Big Daddy but unfortunately this weekend he won.t be out there with me so he suggested this site and he had nothing but good things to say about all of you! Please if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated!!!

Thank You!

yea man i would love to tell you every thing i know about the vine but we would be able to help you better if we knew what kinda fishing methods you intend on doing ie shore or if in a boat bait and wait or trolling.

My wife and I will be at the lake for the first time too. Driving up from san diego to participate in the WON trout tournamet. Anyone care to share tips for a fellow float tuber? It looks like a big lake. Can someone suggest a couple good locations? I'd hate to cramp up my legs fishing at the wrong locations, more importantly I want my wife to have a good time, or else it will be a loooong drive home if she doesn't pull on some fish.

im not a float tuber but i attention when they talk. from what i hear dragging a power mouse on one pole while jigging or dropshoting with the other pole is the way to go. green orange and white are all good colors for the vine.

as far as locations go you got tons of options even if you only fish a quarter of the lake at a time the lake.

if the water temp is up you should head for the deeper water at the mouth of boat dock cove and or woodys cove and the deeper water off the west shore.

if the water is cooler ie the prime trout temp of mid 50's ( i doubt it will be this coold probably be more like 63-65 and in that case these spots might be a waste of time) launch from the back side of trout island work that area and try over near the trees and the red clay clifs also might be worth your time to kick over to the back of the flats as that is where they stock along with the boat launch area from time to time

either way hot or cold water working boat dock cove , woddys cove and around trout island is never a bad idea.

just pick up a map at the tackle shop at the vine or print one out from the internet and you will see all the spots im talking about. but keep in mind the vine is 740 square acres at full and right now its at full capacity and woody's cove is the smallest cove of the lake and it is easily bigger then a foot ball field

Big Daddy
04-06-2011, 10:21 PM

Thank You!

Brother Big Belly, if you tried to call me today between 9:30 and 2:00 I got a new phone and had to transfer my # wasn't supose to hapen until tomorrow but surprize it happened today. I will call you in the morning your partner told me you were going to have to work? saturday til noon.

fishnbear
04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks for sharing your info thisfool. Can't wait to kick around out there.

tomah
04-08-2011, 09:02 AM
i too was thinking of going out to irvine lake in my kayak this weekend. ive never fished for trout before and i only have baitcasting equipment. i can throw a 1/2oz weight very well with my rods. do you guys think a 1/2oz weight will sink too fast?

i was also thinking fishing carolina style with a 1' to 2' leader would probably be the best idea for the gear i have. any other suggestions for me? i have a shimano clarus 6'6" rod with a daiwa coastal reel

5150fishn
04-08-2011, 03:16 PM
i too was thinking of going out to irvine lake in my kayak this weekend. ive never fished for trout before and i only have baitcasting equipment. i can throw a 1/2oz weight very well with my rods. do you guys think a 1/2oz weight will sink too fast?

i was also thinking fishing carolina style with a 1' to 2' leader would probably be the best idea for the gear i have. any other suggestions for me? i have a shimano clarus 6'6" rod with a daiwa coastal reel
I fish irvine from a kayak often and I usually do best trolling. I use the CD5 or CD7 in firetiger or the pink Mirashad lures. These have done me well in the past.

Trout Doctor
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I fish irvine from a kayak often and I usually do best trolling. I use the CD5 or CD7 in firetiger or the pink Mirashad lures. These have done me well in the past.

Leadcore or flatline?