PDA

View Full Version : Perris kids fishing derby...

Sublime-Steve
04-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Whats the 411 on this?

Socal Bassman
04-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Hey Steve,

The event is this saturday (April 9) from 7am-1pm. No fee for the event, just pay the normal fee for entrance. It's held at Lots 11-12, there will be some tables where you will register your child or children. Depending on the age of your child, he or she will be placed in one of three age groups. There will be a trophy and a kiddie pole awarded to the top three participants in each age group. You can bring in any fish to the scales and it's similar to a tournament format where you can only weigh in 5 fish.

There is also a casting contest for each age group and a trophy awarded to the top three in each group. Another trophy is awarded to the kid who brings in the biggest fish of the derby. At the end of the event, there will be food (usually hot dogs) and drinks, as well as a raffle. We've been attending this event for the past 5 years and it has been fun.

troutking
04-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Wats the age limit for kids? ;)

Sublime-Steve
04-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Kool it sounds fun i think ill let my buddy know thanks man ill prob c you there

Socal Bassman
04-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I believe that the age limit is 16 y.o.

tacklejunkie
04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Saw them dumping trout from the truck today in power cove at Perris while testing out some new bass fishing gear. Ran over and threw tons of swimbaits around the drugged up jumping trouts for nada. I guess this isn't quite Diamond Valley lake. haha

Anyways, have a good time out there guys.
There was some folks on shore killing trout with drop shot nightcrawlers and the smaller redworms. Think they were taking bass and redear too. :Rolls Eyes: Anything to fill the plate.

If people have a hard time catching tomorrow that's cause everyone down there catching the stocked event fish now. Bring your swimbaits instead. Maybe see ya down there.

Socal Bassman
04-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Well that sucks. Those fish are for the kids to catch. They used to stock it at the day of the event.

Sublime-Steve
04-09-2011, 10:25 PM
damn... i was there tossin a swimmie also off the boat launch this morning.. saw 1 dude land a small trout i was gone by 9:30.. ne 1 know how the derby went?

Socal Bassman
04-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I would have to say that the derby this year was alright. The turnout was pretty low, though. Usually the whole shoreline at lots 11 and 12 is so full that it is hard to find a spot if you come late. Not the case this time as there were a lot of empty space along the shoreline. Could be due to the recent weather and the fact that people were allowed to fish anywhere on the lake too. We got there at about 6:30 and was surprised that they had the registration booth already up and were able to register kids exactly at 7a.m. There were a few changes this year too. It just seemed kinda rushed this year as weigh in time was at 11:30, then lunch and award ceremony was at noon. Actually, they were serving food while we were waiting to weigh in.

Other than that, I would say that the fishing was fair from shore. I saw a few limits of trout brought in and a lot with just 1 or 2 fish. For those that caught fish, the trout were a decent size and there were a few bass brought to the scales as well.