PDA

View Full Version : Aren't you afraid you'll catch a hook on your tube?

Cartman
04-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I've often wondered about this. I'm pretty much of a klutz and I get myself hooked all the time. I'm thinking, if I was fishing in a tube I would surely poke a hole in it and end up sinking in the middle of the lake.

Has that happened to anyone?

CALFISHER4EVR
04-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Buy a PFD AND GO OUT AND ENJOY! IT IS LIKE SITTING ON A SOFA AND FISHING AT THE SAME TIME. DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER WHILE FISHING. UNLESS YOU BUY A BOAT.

Frequent Flyer
04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
idk but id think that it wld b hard to do it becase of the material that the tube is made out of. i wld think the manufactuers wld hav thought about that and used the right material. but im not sure. depends on hook and how hard ur throwin mayb?

tacklejunkie
04-06-2011, 05:35 AM
With the way Matt D catches my hats when he hooks them during a cast I'd say he'd tear a hole in my boat material. lol

Wait till you guys have to land a TOAD spottie bass or a big mean LMB with a swimbait hanging from his jaw.
Then you'll be worried about hooks! ..and not just cause they're gonna sink you.

Best thing you can do, if fishing largemouth bass, is to tire the fish out a bit and grab it by the lip.
Problem is with Swimbaits the fish will throw it by the time you tire it out.
If it's a trout get a net made for trout skin.

If you're hooking yourself often on a tube I can't help ya there. Go weedless lol.

Not happy to admit it but I've also been out there a few times sans PFD. Scary times indeed on the water by yourself no PFD in the deep! Certainly makes you wonder how your relaxing fishing day could shovel you into your coffin in a moments notice.

Dayum, if I sank, a good 2 G's in gear would go down with me too.

tacklejunkie
04-06-2011, 05:57 AM
There was a member of this forum who once popped one of his pontoon bladders and had to kick back to shore before half his pontoon sank.

I don't know exactly what happened or how he made out. Pretty sure he made it back being as he had another half the pontoon full of air.

I've had hook holes before but they are usually very slow leaks and if you can air up while on the water then you can add more air by mouth than the hook hole can exhaust.
Therefore:

Make sure you have a PFD and a way to add air while on the water and you can't go wrong. Or at the very least.. a second or third air bladder on your vehicle.

Sheesh with the editing =P
They also sell stick on patch kits that might fix your hook hole while on the water.

smokehound
04-06-2011, 07:03 AM
There was a member of this forum who once popped one of his pontoon bladders and had to kick back to shore before half his pontoon sank.

I don't know exactly what happened or how he made out. Pretty sure he made it back being as he had another half the pontoon full of air.

I've had hook holes before but they are usually very slow leaks and if you can air up while on the water then you can add more air by mouth than the hook hole can exhaust.
Therefore:

Make sure you have a PFD and a way to add air while on the water and you can't go wrong. Or at the very least.. a second or third air bladder on your vehicle.

Sheesh with the editing =P
They also sell stick on patch kits that might fix your hook hole while on the water.Wasn't that brandon?

viperman100
04-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Well, if you happen to be a real clutz, I guess anything is possible,,,,however I have had my tube deflate due to some of my gear that was in the pocket with the valve stem open up the stem accidently and let the air out. I made it back to shore before the tube deflated completely, also most tubes do have more than one air chamber and those that have styrafoam seats the seat itself works as an additional floatation device, but nothing will ever replace your pfd, I am one of those that even if I am not wearing it i always have it on me, I always figure if my tube goes flat on one pontoon then i have the second pontoon and the seat and back rest to keep me afloat while I put my pfd on, however it would be soo much safer to just always wear it. If you are that scared that something might happen then just wear it always and youll be fine, also helps to not go out alone have someone with you incase something does happen but most likely you'll be ok. I have gone out on the water in my new tube witout capping up my valves since they have a check valve on the newer tubes, this is not done intetionally but just one of those little things you forget when your in a hurry to get in the water, so try to take your time and make sure you have everything you need to be safe and go out and have fun, float tubing is the most relaxing way to fish, I would do that over a boat even just because of how much easier it is to hold onto a spot by kicking with your feet while you are fishing and not having to worry about manouvering a 19' bass boat, I also have a couple kayaks and float tubing is even more comfortable than that, kayaking is just fun period so when you can fish off one its just an added bonus but comfort wise float tube is the way to go. I have tubed small lakes up in Mammoth and I have tubed large lakes such as Nacimiento and San Antonio.

Nessie Hunter
04-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I have the ODC which has 2 main bladders, so that isnt quite as scary....
I also made 2 extension air tubes to blow it up on the water (and land) they are 5/8" clear tubing with a couple of wraps of Duct tape on valve end.. Fit snug in the boston valves of the ODC....
About 18" long each and kept in tackle pockets..
I have had slow leaks in an old bladder at NPH. Just left the Air tube in and blew it back up now & then....

But have seen Blow outs on U tubes (single bladder) at NPH and that was scary for the guy. Lucky he made it to a dock before going "glub, glub" !!!!