PDA

View Full Version : 25 lb Ling Cod

Big G
04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Took my 6 y/o son David out if Marina Del Rey for his 1st ocean fishing trip. He did alright considering they did'nt even supply live bait.(we were using cut squid) David caught 5 short sculpin, and one brown rock fish. I caught about 15 sculpin, only 4 were keepers. It could have been better but it was fun getting my son out there on the 1/2 day boat. There was a guy named John on the boat who caught an octopus in the begining. So he used that for bait. It work because he pulled up the largest Ling Cod ive ever seen caught in so cal in my 27 yrs of ocean fishing. It weighed out at 25 lbs, and when they filleted it for him it had another 2 lb ling cod in its stomache. Now that was cool!

Hometown
04-05-2011, 04:35 PM
way to get the little one out i love the pics he looks to be having a great time with dad good stuff

Jackpot Jimmy
04-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Nice report! Good job on getting your son out fishing! I was about six also when my dad first took me out on a party boat.

That's a really nice ling too.

Frequent Flyer
04-05-2011, 04:39 PM
real nice. thats a crazy cod. i also lov ur sons shirt

ghetto dad
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Great job gettin the kid out on the ocean brother.....great report!

GD

flyngby
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Great job getting the kid out!

Best memories for me was when my kids enjoyed fishing!

jerryG
04-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I caught my PB ling on an octopus as well as several other big lings. I went to Morro Bay to fish the cod and I caught a red that threw up an octopus so I sent it back down and it was instant on a nice ling. Sent it down again and again instant on a nice ling. By this time the octopus was mangled but I sent down anyways.. I soaked it for a couple minutes and hooked another big fish that got it’s head in the rocks and busted me off. When I could find small whole octopus at my local markets I would pick it up it if I was going to go codding. It works well but it is hard to beat a sand dab.. Thanks for the report.

JerryG

troutdog
04-05-2011, 11:29 PM
great post all the way around, thanks for postin up....your boy looks like a natural!

TD

murrieta angler
04-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Very nice report Big G,
Looks like your son had a blast out with his Pops.
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert
<><

Rich and Noah
04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Nice report. My buddy caught a ling last year with a small calico half digested in his throat. Lings seem to like anything when hungry.

Rich

smokehound
04-08-2011, 03:50 PM
It doesn't surprise me that a lingcod that big had a smaller lingcod in it's belly. I saw a video on youtube of a REALLY big lingcod that barfed out a huge octopus, and had a 5-lb lingcod in the belly.

I've caught a few smaller lingcod with scorpionfish and treefish in them.

DockRat
04-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Great time with your son. WTG Noah.
DR

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/CapnMikey/Alaska%20Fish/g1008.jpg

JapanRon
04-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi Big G,

WTG getting the kid out !! Nice report and pics !!

Thanks,

JapanRon