PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth/Bishop Area - 4/21 - would it be frozen?

Ultralight
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Chat with a friend yesterday. He normally goes on opening day or there abouts to fish the Sierras. However, this year, according to him, the lakes are still very much frozen and he thinks most lakes will remain frozen on 4/21.

I ask about 4/21 because I'll be passing by that area on the way back home and thought about doing a couple of days of fishing. Would the roads and lakes all be open or is my friend correct about going later this year?

Thanks,
UL

IncredibleHuck
04-04-2011, 07:18 PM
The opener isn't till the 30th. You could hit up PVR however.

John Harper
04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
You could try Hot Creek or Upper Owens too. I think you're a bit early this year, unfortunately.

John

trout worm
04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
just remember Hot creek and Upper Owens are special regs... artificial,single hook, barbless, 0 limit (all c/r)

and it's likely that Mammoth will still be snowed under. but Crowley should be open as well as Lower O.

I think June is thawing and should be ok.

SierraPeaks
04-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Convict, Crowley, all the Loop lakes, BPR, and Lundy are completely ice free. Most of them have been for quite some time now. This year's freeze is nothing like last years. Last year Crowley couldn't even get the docks in until about a week before the opener. This year they've been in for about 3 weeks already. The waters are warming quickly and the conditions look perfect for a stellar opener.

I wish I were going.