PDA

View Full Version : Round stingrays

pike guy
04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Just wanted to know where the best spot and the best rigs you guys know for these spiny f.... ducks Thanks.....

TSHARKSLAP
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
any pier with sand closer to shore fish on the bottom carolina rig works best hahah becarefull they have a stinger on them DONT GET IT CONFUSED WITH A THORNBACK RAY

smokehound
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Just wanted to know where the best spot and the best rigs you guys know for these spiny f.... ducks Thanks.....This is the first time I've ever seen someone intentionally fishing for round stingrays.

DockRat
04-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Those round rays have the stinger at the end of the tail and will get you. They whip the tail as defense.
By far the most dealiest small ray in so cal.

WHEN you get stung you have to keep your hand or foot in the hottest water you can handle for the pain to go away. When I got nailed in the finger it was 6 hours of very hot water for pain relief, then 2 months of pain and 2 trips to the doctor till a xray showed a 1/4" piece of stinger in my finger.

This is not the way to handle them. This kid is minutes away from intense pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnweCrpJo8

The Stinger is between the 2 skin flaps at the end of the tail,

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/sumdumsk8r/2007/PC240025.jpg

smokehound
04-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Just touching the stinger can envenom you. It doesn't even have to stab you, the microscopic barbs still penetrate.

Use a circle hook if you're aiming for em. They frequent harbors more than the surf zone.

Circle hooks make it way easier to remove the hook. Most people get stung trying to reclaim a swallowed hook from a roundie. Flip the ray upside-down to stun it, then stab it in the weak spot for MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Be careful though, you might attract some enemy crabs.

beaver825
04-12-2011, 06:16 PM
they are all over at seal beach pier. i catch them all the time down there. the worst part of it is trying to get them back off the pier once you get the hook out. damn things fling their tail all over the place.