PDA

View Full Version : The Spew at the Bear

FSHNLIC
04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Is Over......... I believe anyways.... Me and POM hit up Big Bear today in hopes of getting in on some Big Spawning Bows at the Bear. Water level extremely high making things a bit difficult. Fished the Fawnskin and Boulder Bay areas294082940929410 and threw everything at em.... I so got out fished by POM and did not have a single bite. POM got a couple beauties, one on a jig and the other on a black wooly bugger.... Something tells me the spawn began early this year with the strange weather.... I could be wrong.. it may not have happened yet either (I'm not sure).... the one thing I do know is that there are no large concentrations of fish at the inlets... Here's a couple Full Tail Beauts!!!!

bman90278
04-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Very nice! Thanks for the report and pics.

Frequent Flyer
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
cool. wats that on the end of its mouth in the second pic?

TROUT MASTERS
04-03-2011, 09:10 PM
:What a nice looking bow!
Good job,but i know you want those monster browns :LOL:
GOOD LUCK
TROUT MASTERS.:Cool:

Cameron
04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Yea the spawn was a couple weeks ago they found trout up in the culverts by the airport.There was a article in the Big Bear Grizzly.
Great looking fish I hope to get a few myself soon.Thanks for sharing.

IncredibleHuck
04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Just remember that all tributaries to Big Bear Lake are closed to fishing from March 1 through May 27, the trout's spawning period.

diamondbear
04-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Good looking holdovers , great pics .

Piss on Myspace
04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Yea the spawn was a couple weeks ago they found trout up in the culverts by the airport.There was a article in the Big Bear Grizzly.
Great looking fish I hope to get a few myself soon.Thanks for sharing.

well thats sh*ty, but thanks for the info....i'm sure you got on some of the beauties.....

@ FSHNLIC- see it was my lucky day!!! Even though i may a caught more fish, i'm still learning a few things off ya.....thanks for all your intel and for driving as well...we'll get em back up in the sierras!!!

Just remember that all tributaries to Big Bear Lake are closed to fishing from March 1 through May 27, the trout's spawning period.

10-4...that was actually in grout bay...notice the waders....water was as high as the road!

29422 29423

IncredibleHuck
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
well thats sh*ty, but thanks for the info....i'm sure you got on some of the beauties.....

@ FSHNLIC- see it was my lucky day!!! Even though i may a caught more fish, i'm still learning a few things off ya.....thanks for all your intel and for driving as well...we'll get em back up in the sierras!!!

10-4...that was actually in grout bay...notice the waders....water was as high as the road!

29422 29423

POM didn't mean that at you guys, but more for the people who have never fished Big Bear Lake at this time of year. A week ago the DFG was out in full force, getting everyone fishing the tributaries...

Great to see the water that high! How bad were the weeds already?

Cameron
04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
The water is very high 6" or less from the top & as for me I had a lil case of pneumonia last few weeks havent been out much.Looking forward to that spring bite.Took the kids this morning but I was foolish & let them dress themselves so when that wind picked up 15 min after we got there the kids where done.Going back in the AM will post a report....
The NWS has issued a warning for teh mountains this friday into Sat. for 5-10" of new snow so keep that in mind when making the trip up folks.
http://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwaatmget.php?x=CAZ055

FSHNLIC
04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanx all!!! The male in the second picture was beginning to develop a kype... TroutMasters you know I'm still looking for that monster Brown!!! We'll be up North the first week of May (so hopefully!!) .... I am so bummed I missed the Big Spew this year!!! I have to say Big Bear is a tremendous fishery with sooooo much more potential.... I would really love to a see a strict catch n release policy in the lake (not just the tribs) from mid February to mid April to assist with the Spewing Bows... There is potential for a solid self-sustaining wild fishery here if managed properly.... I also wouldn't mind an introduction to some Browns and Cutts.... Big Bear could be called Crowley South!!!! This is just one of my pipe dreams... but it could happen ... Tight Lines and Full Tails!!!

Piss on Myspace
04-05-2011, 01:15 AM
POM didn't mean that at you guys, but more for the people who have never fished Big Bear Lake at this time of year. A week ago the DFG was out in full force, getting everyone fishing the tributaries...

Great to see the water that high! How bad were the weeds already?

yeah its good brotha, thanks for clearing that up....congrats on that northern trip, thats was a real pig! the weeds were nonexistent....just flooded shrubbery with some algae blooming

FSHNLIC- just to let you know, i don't have your tackle box...........i got your license this time....doh!!!.....but yeah son, i got a new phone, so hit me up when you want to get it....i'm hitting hesperia with the nephew 2mrw....do you know what my pipe dream is???......peace homie

FSHNLIC
04-05-2011, 06:23 PM
POM I can only imagine..............

Big Bear Legal Eagle
04-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanx all!!! The male in the second picture was beginning to develop a kype... TroutMasters you know I'm still looking for that monster Brown!!! We'll be up North the first week of May (so hopefully!!) .... I am so bummed I missed the Big Spew this year!!! I have to say Big Bear is a tremendous fishery with sooooo much more potential.... I would really love to a see a strict catch n release policy in the lake (not just the tribs) from mid February to mid April to assist with the Spewing Bows... There is potential for a solid self-sustaining wild fishery here if managed properly.... I also wouldn't mind an introduction to some Browns and Cutts.... Big Bear could be called Crowley South!!!! This is just one of my pipe dreams... but it could happen ... Tight Lines and Full Tails!!!

Big Bear Lake Chamber of Commerce and DFG take note! This is a wonderful idea that would take advantage of a spectacular local asset that could provide a high quality fishing oportunity within two hours of most of Southern California! In this age of $4.00 a gallon gas, it would be very, very popular if effectively promoted. And, yes, I know there will always be some people who will insist on keeping fish, but the bass fishing population has demonstrated that social pressure can create an effective "catch-and-release" ethic without an army of DFG wardens. When you go bowling, do you insist on taking the pins home for firewood?

FSHNLIC
04-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Big Bear Lake Chamber of Commerce and DFG take note! This is a wonderful idea that would take advantage of a spectacular local asset that could provide a high quality fishing oportunity within two hours of most of Southern California! In this age of $4.00 a gallon gas, it would be very, very popular if effectively promoted. And, yes, I know there will always be some people who will insist on keeping fish, but the bass fishing population has demonstrated that social pressure can create an effective "catch-and-release" ethic without an army of DFG wardens. When you go bowling, do you insist on taking the pins home for firewood?

Thanx for sharing the same "pipe dream"!!! I was hoping there'd be a few folks out there feeling the same way