PDA

View Full Version : LA surf zone

pike guy
04-03-2011, 10:15 AM
At the Hermosa pier, what kind of surf rigs work best for croaker, and what rigs work for leopard sharks?And size hooks? Thanks...

tomah
04-03-2011, 10:44 AM
my surf rig is a 6'6 shimano clarus rod with a daiwa coastal reel. throwing half ounce egg sliders carolina rigged with a sandworm or perch grub. as for the leopards, i dont know

smokehound
04-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Depends on the kind of croaker. a Number 2 Octopus Circle-hook is good for all croaker species.

I prefer to go as light as possible, despite their bottom-feeding habits, croakers have excellent eyesight.

leader-length of at least 1 & a 1/2 feet.

For sharks-- Circle-hooks are a must. It makes it a zillion times easier to remove the hook, because in most cases, it's right in the corner of the mouth. A definite plus for ease of removal when it comes to stingrays..

When sharks swallow your hook, you're almost guaranteed to break-off, unless you used a steel leader.

A simple ugly-stik surf/pier combo is good enough for big leos. You can get 'em at Wal*mart for like 30 bucks.

For sharks, a number 1, or a 1-0 circle is good. helps reduce bites from smaller sharks, too.

DockRat
04-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Depends on the kind of croaker.

50 lb White Sea Bass or YFC (yellow fin croaker) ?

tomah
04-04-2011, 06:37 AM
i like size 4 EWG gamakatsu's for YFC fishin