PDA

View Full Version : What do you know... It floats.

Socal Bassman
04-03-2011, 02:14 AM
I bought this boat as a project a couple years ago and have been working on it whenever I got a chance. Well, yesterday I decided to put it on the water to see if it will actually float (No, I didn't get a chance to test drive it when I bought it) :Rolls Eyes:. I took a test run with just myself first just in case it sank or blew up, then at least it would only be me. After a good run and getting used to how it handles, I brought the family aboard. Everything went well until we got back to the ramp and we ran out of gas :Embarrassed:. With the aid of a good sumaritan (thanks again), we were able to get it on the trailer long enough for me to attach the bow hook and winch it up.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/IMAG0054.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/IMAG0052.jpg

Fat Tony
04-03-2011, 02:32 AM
Nice looking boat.Good luck out there and safe boating.

tacklejunkie
04-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Right on bro good to see the Family afloat! Hell yeah!
I haven't even met your youngest one yet! Look at Jr he's huge!
Congrats on the cool fam and finishing up the boat! :Thumbs Up:
You got it made!

ghetto dad
04-03-2011, 06:38 AM
Congrats on the fish killin machine bro!!

Lol @"in cast it sank or blew up" thats something I would do to.....

GD

Dr. MindBendo
04-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm doing the same thing. I bought a project bass boat last Summer and have been working on it little by little. I have a long way to go but I need to give it a test run also. Congrats on it floating. Looks like it's in good shape. What's else do you plan on doing to it?

bassguy
04-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Very cool... good to see you getting the boat on the water. Now you and Jr can slay some pan fish. Did you rewire it? or still a work in progress? Looks like the family had a great time, we need to get out and fish soon.

Socal Bassman
04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Dr. Mindbendo, there is still a lot I plan on doing. Short term: Complete rewire, replace hoses for bilge and livewells,redo the dash and bow panels with new switches, and install fishfinders. Long term: Build a deck extension with more storage, new seats and pedestals, and recarpet. Good luck on your project. I also want to install a recessed trolling motor tray, but I feel uneasy about cutting a big hole in the deck.

What's up Bassguy? It's been a long time. I've removed a bunch of wires that didn't look factory. I still don't know what they were hooked up to or what they were for. I've rewired the gauges on the dash panel, but the only gauge that works so far is the speedometer.

Dr. MindBendo
04-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Dr. Mindbendo, there is still a lot I plan on doing. Short term: Complete rewire, replace hoses for bilge and livewells,redo the dash and bow panels with new switches, and install fishfinders. Long term: Build a deck extension with more storage, new seats and pedestals, and recarpet. Good luck on your project. I also want to install a recessed trolling motor tray, but I feel uneasy about cutting a big hole in the deck.

Sounds pretty much like what I'm doing. I'm currently working on the deck extension. I've stripped out all the carpetting and have the seats out and ready to be reupholstered. I'm likely going to take the dive and do the recessed tray as well. I've wet sanded the boat but it has some sun damge to the metal flake. Gel coat is in fair condition but I want to repaint it. I was going to use bedliner coating for the trailer as well. I plan on installing new gauges, the ones on itnow, look worn out. Good luck on the rest of your restore.

TUNAVIC
04-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Congrats on the boat,looks like a great Bass killer,enjoy and remember safety first!

dockboy
04-12-2011, 04:33 AM
old bass boats are the best starter boats for bassin'. i hate fishing with buddies who go out and buy new boats. bass boats are meant to be fished, not babied, and when a boat is old to start with its a lot easier to convince yourself to make hard decisions (i.e. should I tule punch my way through to the flippin' spots or just dropshot for 1lb fish here in open water).
there are shops that can do the recessed foot pedal installation for you. the price isn't great, but you can be sure a good boat shop won't make the wrong size hole in the deck lol

Socal Bassman
04-12-2011, 10:36 AM
old bass boats are the best starter boats for bassin'. i hate fishing with buddies who go out and buy new boats. bass boats are meant to be fished, not babied, and when a boat is old to start with its a lot easier to convince yourself to make hard decisions (i.e. should I tule punch my way through to the flippin' spots or just dropshot for 1lb fish here in open water).
there are shops that can do the recessed foot pedal installation for you. the price isn't great, but you can be sure a good boat shop won't make the wrong size hole in the deck lol

That's exactly why I bought an old boat. Since this is my first boat, I was looking for a fisher price boat that I don't have to worry too much about beating it up. The best thing about buying an old boat though, is it's paid for. Plus, I just couldn't justify spending $20,000+ for a first boat.

dockboy
04-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Yeah. So many guys buy new boats. Not saying they suck, they are great fishing platforms. But unless you plan to fish big league tournies or BIG water (Mead), 20 feet of fiberglass and 200 horses isn't real economical when you think about the fact that Dick Trask dominated Castaic for 15 years with a 20 year old Monarch kit boat