PDA

View Full Version : hunington harbor fly question

gogreeenz4
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
gonna luanch out of hunington harbor tomorrow at 7am in some kayaks and im new to the salt specially on the fly ive been on a boat using spinning reels 1 time.. im a die hard stream fly angler but thought itd be fun to try this out..what fly patterns should i use i have a bunch of clouser minnows but i was wondering more or less pattern colors that are working also i got some bigger bass bugs i was gonna toss but wondered what colors would work best in the minds off my fellow fnn pals thanks for any info anfd help

oldmaninsea
04-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Gogreeenz4,

I live about 1 mile from HH and have fished in many times. Best color patterns, though never with a fly, have been anchovy, sardine (blue/white, olive/white); plus: 3" BH swimmies in sexy smelt, redrum, bleeding olive herring, fongfish, olive herring, hot karl ... by the way, there are some big butts in there, too. seen 'em caught up to 20-25 lbs on live bait (usually anchovies) ... Hope that helps you out, and TIGHT LINES!
Oh yeah, and I'm sure you never would, but don't clean your catch in harbour waters - BIG FINE! someone did that about 2-3 mos. ago and i found i bet 20 cleaned spotty carcases floating near shore!!!

Tom
over and out

FLYFISHING MD
04-01-2011, 06:35 PM
try the orange and white clouser minnows i do real good at NPH on it ''dont take your spinning gear and stay with it '' good luck..

bowler
04-01-2011, 07:11 PM
gonna luanch out of hunington harbor tomorrow at 7am in some kayaks and im new to the salt specially on the fly ive been on a boat using spinning reels 1 time.. im a die hard stream fly angler but thought itd be fun to try this out..what fly patterns should i use i have a bunch of clouser minnows but i was wondering more or less pattern colors that are working also i got some bigger bass bugs i was gonna toss but wondered what colors would work best in the minds off my fellow fnn pals thanks for any info anfd help
I fished only the Surf once with a Fly Rod and i got a short Halibut. Here is a place that might help you with what fly to use and what color.
http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com/

gogreeenz4
04-04-2011, 09:34 AM
had a killer time we lunached out of hh and paddled to the bridge crossing and got our lines wet final count was 4 macks( ithink but im not sure they had zebra striping which was black on white and had some blue and grey in them and they were enegized little dooods they would go go go) 1 bass and 1 lizard fish for me.. a pal got 5 or 6 of these fish explained above which we believed to be macks and my girl got 2 macks or the fish discribed above .. the weather was a lot diferent from friday it was like 65 degrees clouded over very windy and some little rian drops so the fishing was cut short but still a great time to say the least