PDA

View Full Version : Buying Waders

oldmaninsea
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi everyone!

There's been considerable discussion recently about waders. Well, I've decided, after very extensive on-line research, to purchase mine at L.L. Bean.
Why L.L.?
First of all, the have a pair of "Flyweight II Breathable Waders" (stocking foot)at just $79;:Applause:
Secondly, reviews from those who currently own them, they get a 4.8/5 star rating;
Thirdly, Free Shipping and No Sales Tax (in CA);
Fourthly, NO QUESTIONS ASKED return policy for an almost unlimited amount of time.:Big Grin:

So, once I get them comes the REAL test! I'll let you guys know what I think of them after "field testing" them.

Tom
over and out

Frequent Flyer
04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
alright sounds great ill hav 2 check it out cuz ive been looking for a pair

ghetto dad
04-08-2011, 07:03 AM
i dont see those on the site tom ??

im going crazy searching for waders after fishing yesterday in that wind and cold...I need to get some....going nuts trying to figure out which ones are best for me....and trying to keep the cost as low as possible....

GD

ghetto dad
04-08-2011, 07:07 AM
http://www.hodgman.com/Pipestonetrade-Breathable-Stocking-Chest-Wader-P2089C60.aspx

Im liking these, i guess....lol....

GD

tomah
04-08-2011, 08:02 AM
http://www.hodgman.com/Pipestonetrade-Breathable-Stocking-Chest-Wader-P2089C60.aspx

Im liking these, i guess....lol....

GD

i bought those from amazon. i like em.

Cartman
04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Apparently, there are two kinds of waders, stocking foot and boot foot. What do you wear to keep your feet dry if you are wearing stocking feet? I have rubber boots, but if I waded out they would fill with water, and that sucks. If I wore regular boots over the stocking feet, the boots would get soaked of course, and assume my feet would get wet and cold too. Do these stocking feet waders keep your feet dry?

ghetto dad
04-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Apparently, there are two kinds of waders, stocking foot and boot foot. What do you wear to keep your feet dry if you are wearing stocking feet? I have rubber boots, but if I waded out they would fill with water, and that sucks. If I wore regular boots over the stocking feet, the boots would get soaked of course, and assume my feet would get wet and cold too. Do these stocking feet waders keep your feet dry?

glad u asked that...cuz i kinda wondered the same thing...lol..on exactly how they work....i was just looking at the pic and wondering that....

GD

ghetto dad
04-08-2011, 08:42 AM
i bought those from amazon. i like em.

NICE..someone that has a pair that I was looking at so that i know how they are..lol..how much were they on amazon???

GD

HBAR
04-08-2011, 10:54 AM

The stocking foot waders are neoprene on the foot area so they keep your feet dry, I have chest waders and hip boots both of which are stocking foot, not once have my feet gotten wet, I just wear tube socks.

Cartman
04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
The stocking foot waders are neoprene on the foot area so they keep your feet dry, I have chest waders and hip boots both of which are stocking foot, not once have my feet gotten wet, I just wear tube socks.

Please one more question. Do I understand that you wear the waders with just the stocking feet with no shoes or boots and they protect your feet enough? What if you step on something sharp?

ghetto dad
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
you get the shoe things too..lol

check out this thread
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

damn..i miss dana....RIP big homie....

GD

murrieta angler
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey Guys!
If I may interject. The neoprene work great if you are fishing from the sand.
If you head to spots that have lots of rocks, you'll wish you had the boots.
I have both and the neo's got a hole in them around the 10th time I used them.
There is a product out that you can use to repair the hole. I can't recall the name.
Also, one very important thing. GET SOME SOCCER SOCKS!
I kid you not, if you have the boot type waders, they will rub your calf raw at the top boot line.
Good Luck with your purchases,
Robert
<><

ghetto dad
04-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey Guys!
If I may interject. The neoprene work great if you are fishing from the sand.
If you head to spots that have lots of rocks, you'll wish you had the boots.
I have both and the neo's got a hole in them around the 10th time I used them.
There is a product out that you can use to repair the hole. I can't recall the name.
Also, one very important thing. GET SOME SOCCER SOCKS!
I kid you not, if you have the boot type waders, they will rub your calf raw at the top boot line.
Good Luck with your purchases,
Robert
<><

thanks man..yea i dont want those boot ones.....

GD

tomah
04-08-2011, 12:55 PM
NICE..someone that has a pair that I was looking at so that i know how they are..lol..how much were they on amazon???

GD

i thought i paid like 80 bucks or so for them? maybe a lil more. im 5'10" tall with a 30-32" inseam. i bought the tall's. i should not have bought the talls lol

ghetto dad
04-08-2011, 02:16 PM
just found a pair on that link i posted awhile ago that i might get....waiting for the bosses (wife) ok to order them...

GD

smalweld
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
If you go with the boot foot waders you are stuck with whatever they attached to the bottom of the waders. Usually very stiff and not great for your feet if you plan on being in them long term. Also very clunky. Take a trip to Bass pro and walk around with a pair of boot foot waders, then do the same with stocking foot waders with a wading boot on. Do not let the fact that you might be saving a few bucks persuade you one way or the other. I own two pairs of stocking foot waders for a reason..... its easier getting them on and off!!!!! :)

With Stocking foot waders, you can get different types of boots depending on where you are going...For wading in streams or rivers use boots with rubber /felt soles. Need flippers, I guess you would use an extra neoprene liner so you don't wear out the neoprene on the foot of the waders. Not sure on what you would use for float tubes/flippers but I will soon be finding out...

With boot foot waders ...well, you are stuck with what came with them.

Sean

Liteweight
04-11-2011, 11:48 PM
A good pair of stocking foot waders will be sewn glued and stiched so as to be waterproof. If your float tubing/Kayaking or surf fishing all you need is a pair of surf boots (Google "Glacier Glove" great/cheap float tube booties). When my friend asked me to get him into Fly Fishing and he wasn't sure about all the expensive gear I suggested a pair of old tennis shoes or go out to a discount shoe store and get a pair of cheap canvas shoes to go over the waders.
To keep your tootsies warm it's important to wear a pair of liner socks. They wick away moisture so your feet don't have to warm up the moisture that collects when wearing waders (thank god for Gore-tex). Over that a good pair of wool or fleece socks should suffice unless your heading to Alaska or doing some winter Steelheading , and that's a whole other discussion. You can get liner socks and wool/fleece socks at REI or Sport Chalet.
Feel free to PM me if you have any other ?'s that were not answered in this rather long explanation.
I hope this helped,
LW

ghetto dad
04-12-2011, 01:44 AM
thanks for all the help guys.....now i just need to come up with the $ for some...guess ill have to wait till fathers day......lol

GD