PDA

View Full Version : Fairmount Park - The Spawn Is Here!

Rapala17
03-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Today I went to Fairmount Park in the mid-morning so the water would get warmer from the sun. At the beginning of the day, the water conditions were so perfect - clear water, good structure, and warmth! The water temperature was "significantly" warmer than last week. I was excited to fish, but I wanted to fish some new territory that looked more sheltered.

I went over to Fairmount Lake and in thirty minutes I landed several Bass! They were up tight under some structure protecting some spawn beds. The Bass that I caught were all males, and due to their territorial attack of my baits (nibble, nibble, nibble, bite!), they were definitely guarding nests. Also, after I released them, they went back to the same spots.

29350 29351

This morning I decided to put on my "spawning season" bait. My bait was a 7" Green Pumpkin YUM Zellemander Lizard (http://www.cabelas.com/lizards-yum-zellamander-2.shtml).

It has incredible weedless action, but if you want to buy some, you going to have to get them online or BPS catalog (SoCal Bass Pro Shop does not carry them anymore). It is true that "waterdogs" eat Bass eggs, so its just natural to throw any bait that looks similar to them during the spawn.

However, I wish I would of brought some of my small 4" ZOOM Lizards to catch more.(http://zoombait.com/creature/lizards/).

There were plenty of 10oz.-12oz. Bass swimming around to soak up the warmer water. They followed my bait, but it was way too big for them. Also there were a lot of jumping Carp, and Crappie/Bluegills hanging out underneath the leaves and sticks debris that has collected in the back of a few corners from the winds.

Hope to see some of you out there over the next few weeks! Enjoy the pictures and report! I love fishing for free =).

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

Frequent Flyer
03-31-2011, 08:59 PM
wow good job. looks lik the spawn relly is on. it looks lik the water has cleared since the last time i was ther so thats good. good luck out ther next time and hopefuly u can catch a female

ScottyP
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
I love fishing for free =).

I couldn't agree more.
Thanks for the report.

carpanglerdude
04-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Rapala, excellent post!

I got a couple of bass there recently as well, thanks for the info!

http://i52.tinypic.com/28hetza.png (http://huntingtheriverking.blogspot.com/)

bassgrabber1
04-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Nice ones guys.......Carpangler...R U still going on Sunday?

tacklejunkie
04-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Nice work at Fairmount.
Now go for those piggies waiting just outside the lil males.
Maybe see ya down there in a few days.

carpanglerdude
04-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Nice ones guys.......Carpangler...R U still going on Sunday?

I think so...probably afternoon till evening. You be there?

bassgrabber1
04-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah...Imma be there at like 7:30 till maybe 3ish. See you there buddy.

Rapala17
04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Rapala, excellent post!

I got a couple of bass there recently as well, thanks for the info!

http://i52.tinypic.com/28hetza.png (http://huntingtheriverking.blogspot.com/)

Your welcome CAD,

There are a lot of bass there so enjoy the next few weeks! I will be at DVL, so I do not think I will make it back to Fairmount for awhile. Looking forward to more posts.

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

Which Way Out
04-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Glad to see em coming up out of the depths of that lake.:Wink:

Rapala17
04-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Two days ago, I counted 15 bass swimming around and sitting on spawn beds at the back of Brown Lake on the golf course side by the rocks, reeds, and palm trees. They are soaking up the sun where it is sheltered. Just an FYI, they are incredibly educated and stubborn. They know what is fake, so throw super realistic baits like lizards!

Carpanglerdude & bassgrabber1,
Make sure to post your reports. I am excited to hear what you catch on Sunday!

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

riverside_angler
04-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I will also be there Sunday morning. This cold front is not going to help out the fishing but I will see what I can do. I was there twice last week and managed a 2lber and a 4lber. I also helped another dude land a solid 4lber...his first fairmount bass. There are some serious bass cruisin' around, but as Rapala said, they are easily spooked.

old pudd fisher
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
WOW!! And thanks for the report and great pic. Thats a nice fat bass for Fairmount Park.

Rapala17
04-03-2011, 12:27 AM
I will also be there Sunday morning. This cold front is not going to help out the fishing but I will see what I can do. I was there twice last week and managed a 2lber and a 4lber. I also helped another dude land a solid 4lber...his first fairmount bass. There are some serious bass cruisin' around, but as Rapala said, they are easily spooked.

Cannot agree more, and I love fact your were throwing a new Bluegill Shellshocker by the same company who made the Trout Lunker Punker (is that the right bait?)! Excellent catch. Just out of curiosity, how long did you have to fish until you landed that bass?

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

riverside_angler
04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I was throwing the shellcracker for about 30 minutes before I caught both fish on it.

I was back at the 'Mount today between 8-11am and managed a little guy with a HUGE appetite. The weather really blew today and the water clarity was horrible. Hopefully it will clear up this week. I heard there are a few people there targeting the bass and keeping them. One of the regulars who fishes by the tank gave someone a hard time yesterday when the angler stuck a couple of piggies but refused to throw them back. Hopefully anyone reading these posts and fishing fairmount really understands how bad we need to keep those bass in that lake.

until next time...

bassgrabber1
04-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Two days ago, I counted 15 bass swimming around and sitting on spawn beds at the back of Brown Lake on the golf course side by the rocks, reeds, and palm trees. They are soaking up the sun where it is sheltered. Just an FYI, they are incredibly educated and stubborn. They know what is fake, so throw super realistic baits like lizards!

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

We ended up going to Fishermans Retreat ....I caught about 12 ..they are everywhere. Gonna try to hit Fairmount this week though.

carpanglerdude
04-04-2011, 12:19 AM

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

Fisherman's Retreat was fun, I'll put a report with pics up soon. Got a monster just as I was getting ready to leave :)

Mestre909
04-04-2011, 10:55 AM
darn, I really need to hit FR with you guys next time. Went to Seccombe yesterday. Manged a 1.8 to beat the skunk.

bassgrabber1
04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah you really have to hit it Ken.....I had to leave early but TOPWATERBASSIN caught like 25 and and COTY caught at least 12. Carpangler caught a beasty...really nice one.

Rapala17
04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
@ Bassgrabber1, Where is Fisherman's Retreat?

@ Riverside_Angler, I love the fact I am not the only one catching them on big baits! Nice pictures. Those poachers will reap what they sow.

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

sho95
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
How much is it to go in?

fishmounter
04-04-2011, 10:33 PM
You know guys... I quit putting up reports and pics of good bass there at Fairmount because of all the snaggers that show up during the spawn. I understand that telling about a nice catch and showing photos is very cool and fun to do... that's what fishing (and hunting too I suppose) is all about. I just hope people will be cool and not start the snagging and keeping thing. It will kill me to see someone walking around with my PB bass on a stringer! But what are you going to do?

Rapala17
04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
You know guys... I quit putting up reports and pics of good bass there at Fairmount because of all the snaggers that show up during the spawn.

I cannot agree with you more fishmounter, however, I believe regardless of our pictures and reports people will be people and keep the fish.

By the way, is that a "PB Bluegill" as your profile picture? That is a hawg! Did you get it at Perris?

The only thing that I can do is pray they will not take them, and strictly rebuke them if I catch someone keeping the Bass. I bet they would even cook a duck if it was legal, jk, lol!

@Carpanglerdude, what times do you go fishing at night? I might have to do that with you sometime. Do you ever see Park & Recreation rangers at night now, I heard they are "regulating" tickets to people fishing after sunset.

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

fishmounter
04-04-2011, 11:27 PM
I know Rapala17. I'm not even sure why I posted what I said. It's just frustrating.. By the way, I just found out a new way (for me at least) to catch bass there at the park. (I'll PM you and tell you about it..) And no, that giant Redear is not one I caught, but it is a photo of a 5 lb 3 oz Redear I found on BigBluegill.com. A truly awesome trophy Redear.

carpanglerdude
04-04-2011, 11:54 PM
@ Bassgrabber1, Where is Fisherman's Retreat?

@ Riverside_Angler, I love the fact I am not the only one catching them on big baits! Nice pictures. Those poachers will reap what they sow.

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

Not to chime in for Bassgrabber, but Fisherman's Retreat is close to Redlands and MoVal, kind of inbetween.
I finallyput up a report up about the place in the Other Reports FW section.

Rapala, in regards to your question about night fishing- I was there until around 8pm last week, and did not have any problems. I did see the little gatekeeper/truck with flashing lights start closing off some gates around that time, however he did not head over to the main parking lots, as there were still loads of people out enjoying the warm evening weather. I haven't fished the park late at night a long time, and I'm a little hestitant to try it after hearing about people getting ticketed. That being said, I ran into some catfish guys who stayed the whole night last week, I don't think they got ticketed.

Thanks for keeping us updated on Fairmount. I hate seeing snaggers and poachers keep fish from there, especially when someone just takes 'em home and throws 'em away (wtf?). Best thing to do is just talk to people, maybe someone will listen. That, and taking pics of them to post online, wall of shame. :)

tree
04-05-2011, 08:50 AM
I'll probably head to the Mount sometime this week. any of you big bait throwers have some tips/tricks? I've been chucking those same BBZ's, Shell Crackers, and Lunker Punkers to no avail. i know i've gotta be missing something...

riverside_angler
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
@tree- seriously, I think it was luck. THe bbz was hit the instant it hit the water. as for the shell cracker...i don't know. Maybe the fish were getting pissed because I kept throwing it in the same area. I have a punker too that I want to take out there, but I am afraid at getting it stuck in the damn trees. That thing was $45, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to lose it at fairmount.

keep throwin' them and eventually it will pay off.

GhettoBasster
04-05-2011, 08:25 PM
You know guys... I quit putting up reports and pics of good bass there at Fairmount because of all the snaggers that show up during the spawn. I understand that telling about a nice catch and showing photos is very cool and fun to do... that's what fishing (and hunting too I suppose) is all about. I just hope people will be cool and not start the snagging and keeping thing. It will kill me to see someone walking around with my PB bass on a stringer! But what are you going to do?

I'm on board with fishmounter on this after mestre909 told me about the snaggers he ran into at Secombe last week. I don't get it, but then I don't understand a lot of the things the idiotic members of our species do. I am also now reluctant to post what I catch unless it's from a larger lake like Perris.

bassgrabber1
04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm on board with fishmounter on this after mestre909 told me about the snaggers he ran into at Secombe last week. I don't get it, but then I don't understand a lot of the things the idiotic members of our species do. I am also now reluctant to post what I catch unless it's from a larger lake like Perris.

Agreed.....I know there are a lot of people that snag at Fairmount, especially those homeless guys with the rods.

Rapala17
04-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Regardless, I am still going to post reports. I am glad that some of you want to stop posting reports. That is pretty cool.

@ Bassgrabber1, I might hit up Fisherman's Retreat. Any tips?

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

tree
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Eh, I figure most of the snaggers dont read forums. They're going to do it regardless of whether we're posting it up or not.

I went with bassgrabber yesterday and we "double teamed" a bed till we found out what the male wanted to attack :P bassgrabber found the bait to use.

fishmounter
04-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Catch all the males you want-

tacklejunkie
04-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Went down to the 'Ol Fairmount today to see what was stirring.
Water is dirtier than ever!
Tried a few of my old tricks but was distracted by this spawn post. lol

I don't know how you guys can tell if they are spawning or not. You can't even see in that water.
Figured I'd look around to see if I could see anything and I could not.
Probably better that way.

Next trip out I'll be back to my old spot and up to my old tricks without being distracted. I saw typical wide 3-4lb chunky fishing jumping at my spot.. shoulda stayed and pinned them.

tacklejunkie
04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
PS
I noticed a lot of new "crap" on shore.
Is there somebody with an ocean snagging rig out there, trying to snag fish?
It looked like piles and piles of trash a snagger would pull in.
Unless that's the dredging they were talking about doing?

bassgrabber1
04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
The city has been pouring money into the lakes lately. There have been a lot of clean up crews out there and constrution crews in the last few months. I think if they were to maintain the trees in the first place that none of this would happen when the wind comes .

Tacklejunkie...... get a good pair of polarized glasses and you'll see them.

tacklejunkie
04-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm rocking Oakley straight jacket polarized.
No worries. Not trying to raid the nests.
Just wasn't getting bit at my usual spot and decided to see if I could see any. :LOL:
Didn't put much effort into it.

sho95
04-10-2011, 07:14 PM
When today for a few hours and caught 1 small bass maybe 12 inch and 2 blue gills.
Water is dirty but I was expecting that after the weather that hit. Any tips on the Crappie in that lake?

Sparky70
04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Don't forget ur UZI when U go to that park

castle
04-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Don't forget ur UZI when U go to that park

Yeah, the tweekers come out of the woodwork!

carpanglerdude
04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
When today for a few hours and caught 1 small bass maybe 12 inch and 2 blue gills.
Water is dirty but I was expecting that after the weather that hit. Any tips on the Crappie in that lake?

I was there too today. One small bass that threw the hook, and a sunfish.
I've hit crappie usually close to the shoreline, never anything big

Mestre909
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I went there yesterday with cotton909. We got skunked and headed over to the Quarry down the street. I got 8 bass there! :-)

riverside_angler
04-11-2011, 03:36 PM
what quarry? any good sized ones?

jerry951
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
i think he is talking my private lake lol jk its owned by a company near fairmount . I've fished there several times and also caught my pb lmb there. My buddy knows the manager and security guys thats the only reason i fish there sometimes:)

annex138
04-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I have been kicked out by riverside county sheriff at that quarry last summer. He was cool about everything but he said if it had been fish and game kicking us out we would be getting a $1500 ticket have having all our gear and car taken. Something about a endangered sand fly and that area being a nature preserve.

Mestre909
04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
1500 bones, gear and car???!!!! Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will definately have to be carefull!

tree
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I was just at Fairmount this morning for a couple hours. Caught 2 bass. Saw 2 spawning bass, and I saw a rare city park fly fisherman!

Oh, and both bit rapala17's Zellamander :D

riverside_angler
04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Good Job Tree! How was the clarity of the water? Is it still pretty bad?

tree
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Surprisingly, Lake Evans was clearer than Brown pond (I usually find the small pond clearer than the main lake). Both have about 1 1/2 foot vis. The fish are DEEEP in the cover.29642

old pudd fisher
04-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I cruised by old Fairmont today on my way home from Covina this afternoon '4-13-11' no time to fish but just checked it out. Wow what a clean up the city did, the place looks so nice and the water is back to normal with no trash and seen only three people fishing.

Rapala17
04-14-2011, 03:07 PM
@ TREE, EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!

I have not been there since because of work and life. I hope to get there tomorrow hopefully!

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

tree
04-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I was using a different color, but the pattern and the bait were the same :)

Rapala17
04-15-2011, 09:32 AM
I have several colors that work great at Fairmount Park. Glad to hear about variety from you, Tree.

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17