PDA

View Full Version : Castaic or Pyramid?

jowo
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Just got a hall pass to head out. Rental at Castaic or Pyramid. Any tips? Thinking of just doing the rental and soaking bait at Castaic, but NO reports lately...

HunterAndy
03-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Pyramid doesn't offer boat rentals. They stopped renting out boats over 10 years ago. So you only have one option, Castaic. Keep in mind its spawning season for bass so please practice catch-and-release. Also, the Fish Arm is closed for the spring bass spawn so you should try targeting other species but releasing all LMB and SMB caught...

jowo
03-31-2011, 02:24 PM
targeting stripers.

SDDave
03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Bass are moving back in the shallows, also the mega carp are back in there to harassing the bass, I picked off 2 bed fish, there's not to many on beds just yet, the water went up another foot over night.
Carp fishing in back looks like it could be some entrainment, they really need to do something about the carp, they stir up the water real bad and are a huge nuisance, if you catch one kill it...
I tossed a jerk bait at some of my favorite striper spots and didn't even get a follower, don't know how the bait guys are doing?
Got some nicer bass on crawdads on the outside points, THE FISH ARM IS NOT CLOSED TO FISHING ! The only cove closed is dry gulch.
Had a guy pulling a skier pass me all the way back by mud point, man that guy was lost..

dixoncider
04-01-2011, 05:25 AM
Maybe this is a stupid question but....Where do you get the crawdad's at? Do you have to catch them? or can you by them at a tackle store..

SDDave
04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Maybe this is a stupid question but....Where do you get the crawdad's at? Do you have to catch them? or can you by them at a tackle store..

There's no stupid questions... Just that the answers are a little lame sometimes... I catch them and also buy them when there available locally, Gallions in Castaic gets them at at the moment he's been having problems with them, everyone gets them from Louisiana, they ship them airfreight in sealed containers.
Other way is to fish with me and use mine.... theres the lame ansewer... lol

laserbrn
04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I went out to the upper yesterday and I was able to hook up on a couple of a stripers and landed one. It was in the early morning. I switched to LMB because the bite was still just too slow. I'll go back at it again on Saturday and probably do much the same. See if the striper bite picks up and if not I'll switch to LMB. Might even switch to the lower lake mid day if things stay slow.

dixoncider
04-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks Dave..I may look you up at some point..but just usually fish my own boat and seem to do ok..I have heard the crawfish are good at times..not much of a live bait guy when it come to freshwater..Thanks for the info..you always have good info..

jowo
04-02-2011, 03:43 PM
I ended up fishing Castaic upper with a buddy from work. Ended with 1 striper between us on the cut sardine, though it was a nice one. 24", I'm guessing 4-5 pounds, possibly bigger? Biggest one I've caught there on bait. Seemed to be very slow all around.