PDA

View Full Version : Bolsa Chica Eroded Badly!

oldmaninsea
03-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Went down this morning, limited time available, to Bolsa Chica to fish for the first time in almost THREE WEEKS!!!:Sad:

Unfortunately, the series of storms that hit us in the past 3-4 weeks have eroded the beach significantly! From the sand to the water, for example, is at least a 10' drop off (probably more like 12' really)!! I don't know if they plan on shaving it down eventually, but for right now, from lifeguard tower 21 to 27, it's a real pain to reach the water! There does seem to be a slight break around tower 24, but since time was limited, I couldn't do a complete re-con of the area. I'm going to try to do a complete re-con from West Newport to Sunset Beach tomorrow afternoon; let you know what I see:EyePop:

Once I got down there, I did get a few nice hits, probably larger perch, but couldn't hook any of them:Confused:

Tried out my new sand crab rake, worked fine, caught about 12-14 crabs, but all too tiny to even use! By the way, the water felt nice, it's definitely warming up!!!

Tom
over and out

smokehound
03-31-2011, 11:00 AM
A steep drop-off like that is heaven to me when a good tide rolls in!

Gonna be some nice trenches around there... Keep an eye on that spot!

murrieta angler
03-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Tom,
That area could be a butt haven real soon..:Smile:
I plan on hitting the surf tomorrow and check out the S.D. waters.
Thanks for the detailed report,
Robert
<><

DockRat
04-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Seen alot of missing sand at 72nd pl LAB area.
DR

tacklejunkie
04-01-2011, 06:10 AM
A steep drop-off like that is heaven to me when a good tide rolls in!

Gonna be some nice trenches around there... Keep an eye on that spot!
mmmmm, Agreed.
The ledge of the drop is always what forces a fish to chomp the lure "before it escapes".
The trenches also stack up fish.

fishshep
04-01-2011, 06:28 AM
tacklejunkie;534453]mmmmm, Agreed.
The ledge of the drop is always what forces a fish to chomp the lure "before it escapes".
The [QUOTE=trenches also stack up fish.[/QUOTE]

Kinda figure it is gonna be good in those structure conds. too !!!
How is the inlet area lookin ?
Be lookin forward to your re-con report !!!

flyngby
04-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Sounds like some nice new structure there to me!

Thanks for the report!