PDA

View Full Version : mackeral on the piers

contextminded
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
does anyone know if the macs are biting around the OC and Long beach areas. i wanna stock up on some catfish bait. thanks.

iLLest
03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Mackerel is usually always on the bite at Belmont Pier. Either setup a sabiki rig and catch them that way, or if you really want to make it fun, use a split shot or a 3/8ounce on your lightest setup...they'll feel like monsters.

They're usually in different depths (either on top or towards the middle)
Use frozen anchovies as bait, once you catch a mackerel, cut it up in 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch squares and use that as bait, they love their own meat.

Try the left side of the T at the end, facing the ocean and not the beach. Good Luck. :Wink:

DockRat
03-30-2011, 06:12 AM
There has been tons of bait in LB. I think LB is holding Macs. Lots of birds.
I saw the Pamela Rose (SP Bait) net a load of bait off Pier J breakwall side yesterday am. Then another haul of the net off Pier J THUMS water taxi jetty at noon.
Only bait reciever boats can net inside the Port not commercial sieners.

Thums is the Oil Islands

http://www.longbeach.gov/oil/about/historical.asp

T exico
H umble
U nion
M obil
S hell

Occidental Long Beach Inc. (OLBI) a wholly owned subsidiary of Occidental Petroleum Corp which is the field Contractor for the Long Beach Unit (LBU), the eastern offshore portion of the Wilmington Field. THUMS Long Beach Company (named for the original Field Contractors: Texaco, Humble, Union, Mobil, and Shell) is the agent for OLBI. In 1964 four man-made islands, named after the astronauts that lost their lives during the early years of the U.S. space exploration (Grissom, White, Chaffee, and Freeman), were built. Pier J was expanded into the Long Beach Harbor to develop the LBU. Approximately 1,450 wells have been drilled. The Long beach Unit began water flooding at start-up to help prevent subsidence. Today, Wilmington Field oil production is approximately 46,000 barrels per day from 1,550 active wells.

THUMS Long Beach Company (named for the original Field Contractors: Texaco, Humble, Union, Mobil, and Shell)

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq284/ShutUpnKissMe_21/TheRose.jpg

DockRat
03-30-2011, 06:17 AM
LB Oil Islands, Grissom, White, Chaffee, Freeman most guys think fishing or hooping.

Apollo 1 (originally designated AS (Apollo/Saturn)-204) was scheduled to be the first manned mission of the Apollo manned lunar landing program. A fire during a launchpad test killed all three crew members (Command Pilot Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Senior Pilot Edward H. White, and Pilot Roger B. Chaffee), and destroyed the Command Module. This occurred on January 27, 1967, during a test of the spacecraft on Launch Pad 34 at Cape Canaveral before the planned February 21 launch. The name Apollo 1, chosen by the crew, was officially retired by NASA in commemoration of them on April 24, 1967.

Immediately after the fire, NASA convened the Apollo 204 Accident Review Board to determine the cause of the fire. Although the ignition source was never conclusively identified, the astronauts' deaths were attributed to a wide range of lethal design and construction flaws in the early Apollo Command Module. The manned phase of the project was delayed for twenty months while these problems were corrected.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/Alysiawolf/Kennedy%20Space%20Center/P1020647-1.jpg

Theodore C. Freeman (Captain, USAF)
NASA Astronaut (Deceased)

PERSONAL DATA: Born February 18, 1930, in Haverford, Pennsylvania. Died October 31, 1964, at Ellington Air Force Base, Houston, Texas, in the crash of a T-38 jet. Survived by his wife Faith and one daughter.

Learn something new everyday. DR