PDA

View Full Version : A Duct First For Me

yolo
03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Hit one spot this morning on the way to work. Nothing. Water is all dirty again and the flow was ripping. On the way home stopped at one spot again and caught a sucker type fish on my jig. I have never even seen one of these in the duct in my 26 years and never heard of another one. I have caught these in the Kern River on night crawlers ages ago fishing for trout but this is a duct first for me. Anyone know the exact name of it? More importantly, has anyone ever seen one come out of the duct before? Of course it was released.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%203-28-11%20Suckerfish/IMG_20110328_140408.jpg

yolo
03-28-2011, 03:41 PM
It seems to be a Sacramento Sucker. http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/datastore/datastoreview/showpage.cfm?usernumber=84&surveynumber=241

dk4885
03-28-2011, 04:55 PM
also cought a bunch of these when younger on salmon eggs in the kings river, never in seen in the duct

fishinone
03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
I've seen goldfish in the duct but non of those.

How much did it weigh? Did it take a lure?

yolo
03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
It was about 18". Probably 3 lbs. Yes it took a lure but in the underside of the face. No way that little mouth could eat my jig. Maybe I need to go buy a lottery ticket?

Lucky Lager
03-28-2011, 08:54 PM
that's a goofy looking fish right there!

that's wierd the water is ripping out there. i went out this morning & the gates were shut & the water was still again out here.

i should be able to get out in the morning, i'll give a conditions update if i do make it out.

yolo
03-29-2011, 06:30 AM
They can lower different pools. I did notice that the pool I was at briefly yesterday morning was down about 4' but ripping. Double A was out west and said it was half open. You are right in the middle of it so it's weird that it is shut down there. It's flowing before and after you. You sure it was not cracked open some and not noticeable flow in open water? In the afternoon when I stopped briefly again it was half but I was at a different pool and the elevation there was high.

Lucky Lager
03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Yea, I didn't stop at any gates/siphons, I just looked at the gates as I drove by. The water is up at the high water mark & was merkey again yesterday. There were 2 LACO fire inmate crews out there working along the duct. I didn't ask them anything about weather the closed gates were due to them working there or not. It looked like they were doing a bit of brush clearing & cleaning out culverts & spillways

Lucky Lager
03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
that's a goofy looking fish right there!

that's wierd the water is ripping out there. i went out this morning & the gates were shut & the water was still again out here.

i should be able to get out in the morning, i'll give a conditions update if i do make it out.

i was able to get on the water for about a half hour, before the kids got bored with me not catching fish.
but i have the flow update. the gates at munz are open at least half way & the water is at the high water mark & moving decently.
the weather is bitchin' out there, i'm gonna see if i can get out around dusk after the wife gets home today

yolo
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
So you're saying it has been flowing all along but you just never went to check and in open water it is less noticeable? :Wink:

Good luck tonight. It does look nice out. I just got home from work myself but my son has swimming this evening and I can't get out today.

Lucky Lager
03-29-2011, 03:14 PM
no, i've been checking the gates on my way out & they've been closed. today was just the first day i fished at the siphon, and they were open. i fished the siphon @ munz because i brought the kids, and it has that long stretch of chain link.
the vehicle gates were open on both sides & there was some DWR activity on the gate side. maybe they fixed the problem at the gates to the west that marsha was telling me about last week?