PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at the domes? Mako or Threasher?

Renthal4402
03-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Has anyone been fishing by the power plant lately? Any sucess? Also anyone seen any macos or threashers yet this year? Im planning on going out on saturday and debating on what to do. Thanks Greg

DockRat
03-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Still a little chilly.

Haven't heard of any shark reports. Do you chum and wait or troll ?

Check out the pic in this story !

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

Redondo Beach — On March 24, 2011 a Long-beaked Common Dolphin (Delphinus capensis) was found on Redondo Beach near the Breakwall. It appeared to be an adult, about 6 feet in length, with the cause of death possibly due to shark bite. The dolphin was discovered about 3:00 PM by surfer Chris Wells and was photographed an hour later by Brad Jacobson. After reviewing photographs of the animal on Thursday, Dave Janiger, Assistant Curator, Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, said; “It's a predation kill, most likely by a Great White Shark.” He continued; “This long beaked common dolphin is pretty fresh. It died within 24 hours, and close to shore.” It should be noted that it is also possible that the wounds were inflicted post-mortem after the animal died from natural causes. The discovery of this animal would seem to support ET Surf Shop Manager Daniel Del Castillo's observation on Sunday at 9:45 AM of a large dorsal fin speeding past the line-up at the Breakwall. The fin was about 2 feet high and north of surfers Steve Howe and Charlie Carver. Moments later the fin headed south toward the Breakwall, near the outside sets. Marine mammals were observed inside the surf line. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

North Torrey Pines Beach — On March 22, 2011 Steve Smith reported the following; “It was 4:30 PM and my son and I were surfing North Torrey Pines just south of Brown Wall. The seas were rough and breaking well outside, 50 – 70 yards offshore, in late stage waning tide. They were good size and momentum waves. We spotted a shark about 20 yards outside of our position. I watched it for a good 5 – 6 seconds. The color was dark grey with the dorsal and tail swinging in the unmistakable side to side stroke. Dolphins were in the area to the north of our position. We both dropped into the next wave and left the area. There were no other surfers at North Torrey Pines or at Del Mar through 11 th Street. We climbed cliff at Brown Wall and saw thrashing in an area 50 – 60 yards offshore about 40 yards north of where we had exited the water. The thrashing continued for several minutes. There was no further ‘sighting.' The dolphins were to the north close to 6 th Street Del Mar. Type of shark is unknown, as to the size, my best guess from my short view is approximately 8 feet in length and 3-ish feet wide. It could have been larger or smaller.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee

Chasworth, CA — Pacific Coast Shark Attacks During 2010

There were 7 authenticated unprovoked shark attacks reported from the Pacific Coast of North America during 2010. There were 5 attacks (1 fatal) from California and 2 from Oregon. The attacks were distributed in the following months; July (2), August (2), September (1) and October (2). From 2000 to the present, of 56 total reported shark attacks, 28 (50%), occurred during the months August (10), September (8), or October (10). If we use the Southern Santa Barbara County line as a division between Southern and Central California, 1 of the reported attacks occurred in Southern California with the remaining 4 north of the division line. Both Oregon shark attack locations were about midway between the California and Washington borders at Winchester Bay and the Siuslaw River. Activities of the victims were; 3 Surfing, 2 Kayaking, 1 Paddle-Boarder, and 1 Boogie Boarder (fatal). The Great White Shark, Carcharodon carcharias, was positively identified or highly suspect in all 7 of the attacks.

The publication “Shark Attacks of the Twentieth Century” authenticated 108 unprovoked shark attacks from the Pacific Coast between 1900 and 1999. The Great White Shark was implicated in 94 (87%) of the 108 confirmed attacks with an annual average of slightly more than one shark attack per year. The 7 cases reported for 2010 brings the total number of unprovoked shark attacks occurring along the West Coast during the first decade of the 21 st Century to 56. This is ‘more than five times' the Twentieth Century annual average and represents 52% of the total number of attacks reported for the entire Twentieth Century. The Great White Shark has been implicated in 48 (86%) of the 56 attacks reported during this Century. There have been 164 authenticated unprovoked shark attacks reported from the Pacific Coast of North America since 1900. The Great White Shark was positively identified or highly suspect in 142 (87%) of the 164 reported cases.

Victim activity for the 56 unprovoked shark attacks reported from the Pacific Coast since 2000 are distributed in the following groups; surfers 38 (68%) of the documented attacks with 5 swimmers (9%), 5 kayakers (9%), 3 divers (5%), 3 paddle boarders (5%), and 1 boogie boarder (2%). The number of adult, sub-adult, and juvenile Great White Sharks observed in Southern California during 2010 seems to support the contention that there is a possible change in their population dynamics and seasonal site preferences. The number of stranded marine mammal carcasses reported, specifically their location and time of year, would seem to support this observation. The Shark Research Committee will continue to closely monitor this activity. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

http://tempbreak.com/

Renthal4402
03-30-2011, 06:59 AM
I usually troll when shark fishing. Im thinking we will hit the kelp in the morning and then start the troll. Thanks for the update though.

oomicha3loo
03-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Its too cold for mako, gotta about 2 or 3 more days or at least until the water temp goes up about 5 more degrees, I know..I tried for mako 3 days ago...