PDA

View Full Version : Lake Henshaw question

srsnow
03-28-2011, 01:06 AM
I have never been to lake Henshaw but thinking about going up there to try for some crappie. Can anyone give me some tips on how the lake is doing or when a good time to go is?

bluehunter
03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I have never been to lake Henshaw but thinking about going up there to try for some crappie. Can anyone give me some tips on how the lake is doing or when a good time to go is?

Now is a good time during the pre spawn. During the actual sometimes you will see a die off there and is not a good time to go. The dock area is doing good for them plus if your in a boat teh east end of the lake. When teh wind picks up moderately - which is a good thing - you can just drift with mini jigs and torch the slabs.

srsnow
03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I do have a small boat thanks for tips. I have never actualy gone out to catch crappie they have always been by accident so kind of lost on what to do.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
I used to grind them along the shoreline straight acrross from the docks..on the other side of the lake...

As Blue said....drift with mini jigs...

A trolling motor would be great too..

White and green used to lay them slabs out for me 1/32nd oz

I also used to troll very small rebel crawfish pattern crankbaits and slay when it was hard to locate the schools..

(red or green -green softshell pattern better though)

That lake...at least for me was always hit and miss....if the bite was on I'd catch 50 or so but if the bite was off....I'd be lucky to nail 1-2

Good luck...let us know how U do...I have some great memories of great days on that lake : )

Good luck,
Gary