PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Rockfish and Sculpin 3/26/11

Jackpot Jimmy
03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I had been checking the NOAA report all week, looking at the forecast get downgraded from 70% chance of rain to about 20-30% with some wind. On Friday, the forecast looked the same way and the swell forecast didn’t look all that bad, so it was a go.

The day started with a trip to the bait receiver to pick up medium sized sardines. Then we headed out to an area we haven’t fished in a while. At this spot we caught limits of quality sculpin and a few miscellaneous rockfish. Afterward we fished another spot picking up a few nice reds and boccacio rockfish, but not a whole lot else came up here, so we moved out into some deeper water.

When we hit the deeper water we had a nice long pick at some chilipepper rockfish, which were on the smaller size but are nonetheless great eating. A lot of these would hit you on the way down as these fellas were suckers for a small bare shrimp fly. In addition we caught some chuckleheads, boscos, and as-big-as-they-get poinsettia rockfish.

Near the end of the day, the drift was getting faster but we hit one area where we caught some nice big boccacio and reds, but when we went over it again, we didn’t get the same results. However, we had a fantastic overall day of fishing with limits of rockfish and limits of sculpin for 15 people. I’m looking forward to lingcod season. I hope you all end up with a few lings this season, as do I.

I wasn’t in much of a picture taking mood but here are the two that I took that show how nice the reds were.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/166.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/167.jpg

JapanRon
03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi jackpotjimmy,

Great report. Nice Reds. I hear ya .... after crankin' our brains out on the idiotic depths we're hauled to soak meat, nobodys in the mood to take photos in real time.

Await your next report,

JapanRon

Tunaslam
03-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Way to go Jimmy, some dandy Reds and some excellent fishing, and as it was for our trip surprisingly decent weather!

Cory

lingcod sierra
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
nice report jimmy grasias

Señor.Chilax
03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Those are some nice quality fish. Thank for the report.