PDA

View Full Version : Swimbait Rod Question

Surfnsnowboard3
03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
I have a new lot of swimbaits, all pretty heavy and about 6". What am I looking for in a rod for these? Does it have to be specifically a "swimbait" rod? What action? Med/hvy or heavy?

Thanks

DarkShadow
03-27-2011, 05:35 PM
A 6" swimbait is about an ounce in a half.

Look for a rod rated for about that weight, which should end up being a "Heavy" rod.

I'd be looking at a rod that's a tad parabolic for swimbaits.

AngryAgent
03-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Check out the G-Loomis 955 & 956. Both are 7'11" which give you the length to make those long casts and the 955 is a bit more parabolic then the 956. I personally like the 955 over the 956 for huddlestons and triple trouts but my buddy who is much more the bass guy ten me prefers the 956 - to each his own.

Surfnsnowboard3
03-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys. Good advice. What does parabolic mean?

AngryAgent
03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
It means that your rod doesn't really stop bending all the way through the handle. Fast action rods stop bending more towards the tip while slower action rods bend (or shut off) further down the rod. Parabolic rods usually bend all the way to the handle. A rod being more parabolic doesn't necessarily mean that it bends all the way through the handle but that it will bend more then another rod. Really depends on the context of the conversation, hope this isn't too confusing.

Surfnsnowboard3
03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
It means that your rod doesn't really stop bending all the way through the handle. Fast action rods stop bending more towards the tip while slower action rods bend (or shut off) further down the rod. Parabolic rods usually bend all the way to the handle. A rod being more parabolic doesn't necessarily mean that it bends all the way through the handle but that it will bend more then another rod. Really depends on the context of the conversation, hope this isn't too confusing.

That makes sense. My next question would be what's the advantage of this?

AngryAgent
03-27-2011, 06:23 PM
That makes sense. My next question would be what's the advantage of this?

The advantage is you are able to put more consistent pressure on the fish because the rod will hold a bend easier. Example would be Wahoo. Guys throwing bombs for Wahoo sometimes will tend to like a more parabolic rod (Calstar 6480 vs 800H) because it keeps a bend in it keeping pressure/that bomb stuck in the fishes mouth whereas with the faster rod it is harder on the fisherman to keep the pressure on the fish because he has to exert more force to keep a bend in the rod so as soon as you relax and that rod loses the bend the Wahoo drops the bomb and you lost the fish. Same thing with bass, it is very important that you keep the pressure on them especially with the bigger ones because they tend to come to the surface and give you those great big head shakes trying to spit that hook. This is all preferential though to be honest and what works for one fisherman another won't like at all.

Surfnsnowboard3
03-27-2011, 06:43 PM
G loomis 955 is a bit out of my budget. 265 at Cabelas. Any recommendations for a good swimbait rod in 100-150 range?

DarkShadow
03-27-2011, 07:14 PM
G loomis 955 is a bit out of my budget. 265 at Cabelas. Any recommendations for a good swimbait rod in 100-150 range?

I think the only rod that would fit in that budget that I would recommend is the Okuma Guide Series.

Surfnsnowboard3
03-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I think the only rod that would fit in that budget that I would recommend is the Okuma Guide Series.

Know any lOcal stores that sell that? Looked online and couldn't find it.

Any other rod ideas from others?

Thanks

AngryAgent
03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I would say save your money to be honest, all rods aren't created equally..

AngryAgent
03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
You can also check out the Shimano Crucial Swimbait rods. The model I would probably use would be CRCS711H. You can google that and see what it is all about. It sells for around $169.00 more in the range you listed. Good luck.

AbsolutePig
03-28-2011, 12:04 AM
You can also check out the Shimano Crucial Swimbait rods. The model I would probably use would be CRCS711H. You can google that and see what it is all about. It sells for around $169.00 more in the range you listed. Good luck.

I have all cruicals and never had a problem with any of them. I'd love to have G-loomis as well but they are way too pricey. Go by a Crucial......I see a lot of guys selling them on here for around 100 bucks if you don't want a new one. For what you asked, the 7'11 Crucial heavy would do the trick. I would much rather have a top of the line reel then rod. Go buy the Crucial, then save your money for a Curado......

Dr. MindBendo
03-28-2011, 09:17 AM
You can't beat the Okuma Guide Series Big Bait Rod 7'11" Heavy. It's within the price range you're looking for. It's perfect for throwing the 6" swimbaits. I own one and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a quality swimbait rod to throw 6" swimbaits. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma_Guide_Series_Big_Bait_Casting_Rods/descpage-OGSBBR.html

reeladdiction09
03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
i bought the skeet reese rod the flippin/pitchin version thats 8' Medium fast action and rated up to 2 ounces. picked it up for 49$ so im not complaining on that one.

Fysher
03-28-2011, 10:47 AM
I say get a used crucial swimbait rod for around $100, if you break it, take it back to Shimano in Irvine and swap it out for a new one.

dfisher
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
You can't beat the Okuma Guide Series Big Bait Rod 7'11" Heavy. It's within the price range you're looking for. It's perfect for throwing the 6" swimbaits. I own one and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a quality swimbait rod to throw 6" swimbaits. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma_Guide_Series_Big_Bait_Casting_Rods/descpage-OGSBBR.html

agree, heard nothing but good stuff about this swimbait rod for the cost.

fishinone
03-28-2011, 02:57 PM
I have an Okuma Guide Series Swimbait Rod. Mine is extra heavy, telescopic. I love it, it takes the strain off of my banged up shoulder throwing 9" to 14" baits.

I think you would like the heavy action for the 6" baits.

Surfnsnowboard3
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
You guys are awesome! I'm ordering the crucial right now. Recommendations for relatively inexpensive/still good reels for this rod? I already got the idea for Curado. Anything else?

dqfish
03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Good choice thats what i have been using the last 3 years the crucial swimbait (H). For throwing producer plugs, hudds, triple trouts and on and on. with a 400te & curado 300 No problems as of today caught lots of fish on that set up...

Surfnsnowboard3
03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
What model Curado do you guys recommend for this rod? Give me a couple to choose from.

Dr. MindBendo
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM
As far as reels depending on your price range; Cardiff 400, Calcutta 400 or Curado 300 would all be good choices.

dqfish
03-28-2011, 03:38 PM
cardiff 300, calcutta 400, curado 300, calcutta 400te,

in my opinion this would be from lowest to highest
the cardiff 400 was a bit wide and it got wobbly in my hand.
go to a tackle shop and hold them in your hand and get somthing that is comfortable for you

AngryAgent
03-28-2011, 06:33 PM
What model Curado do you guys recommend for this rod? Give me a couple to choose from.

Just personal preference again but I don't like low profile reels for casting swimbaits. I like regular round reels but that's just me. Most guys I see that fish swimbaits are also fishing with round reels. Like I said though it's just personal preference..

Fysher
03-29-2011, 07:53 AM
My opinion in this order for reels

400TE, curado 300E, Luna 253

I own curado 200E7, 300E, Luna 253, 300 and 400TE, citica 200E, revo inshore and they are all nice reels and performs superb.

If you're going to be throwing the following this is what I recommend:
swimbaits 9 - 14" - 400TE
swimbaits 6 - 8" - curado 300E/Luna 253
Anything smaller than 6" you can use curado 200, citica 200, revo inshore (reel is small though)

Like others said, just go to local tackle shop and feel the reel to see what suits you best. One thing to keep in mind, make sure you choose a reel that will be comfortable in hand and won't wear you out while throwing swimbaits all day.

SoCalSteve
03-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Curado 300 on a Crucial 711H is my favorite...and Ive owned or tried a lot. It beats my Calcutta 400/GLoomis 964 all day....

stg68
03-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys. Good advice. What does parabolic mean?

Slow, Medium and Fast Actions

A slow rod is one that will flex down its full length.

A medium rod has most of its flex in the top half of the rod leaving the bottom half stiffer.

A fast action rod has most of its flex in the top quarter of the rod and will be stiffer in the middle and butt section.
Progressive Taper

A progressive taper is a rod which has a smooth, even increase in thickness all the way to the handle.

A rod built to this form will get increasingly stiffer towards the handle, therefore the more load that is applied the deeper the rod will flex.

This type of design is good for casting at short, medium and long distances.
Compound Taper

This is basically a progressive taper, but the increase in diameter is varied along the length of the rod. Most of the old classic tapers were made to a compound taper.
Parabolic

This type of rod will flex more in the butt section when a heavy load is applied.

They have a stiff middle section and a flexible butt section.

Rods with parabolic tapers are slow and powerful and make fantastic roll casting rods. 29329

Surfnsnowboard3
03-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I think I decided on Okuma Guide Series swimbait rod for $100 and Cardiff 300 for $90. What do you guys think?

Question first: I can get telescopic and non-telescopic rod. What's the difference? Which one would you go with?

riverside_angler
03-30-2011, 10:36 PM
i know there are a lot of choices out there and everyone has their opinion. But consider this...a california calico special from turners. I bought this rod about 8 years ago and NEVER used it until last week for throwing 8-9" swimbaits...and it was perfect. Before I used it though, I took it with me to Last Chance to compare it with swimbait models of today. Well the guys at last chance thought my rod was awesome. it is extremely parabolic, much more so than some of the rods in the 150-175 range. Additionally, it has a metal tip. (this is much better than the ceramic insert tips because they break out). I know that some swimbaiters actually switch out their rod tips with saltwater tips for this exact reason.

anyways...consider it. I don't exactly remember what I paid for it or what they go for today, but I don't think they are much more than the Okuma.

Regarding the reel, I think you need to seriously consider this as an investment. If you buy a good reel, you won't need to buy another in a few years. I don't know if I would buy the cardiff. $90 is really cheap considering that you are fishing huge baits (potentially very expensive; triple trouts are $75, punkers $45, etc) for huge fish. I would like to buy the right equipment once. Furthermore, if it doesn't work out for you, you will not have a hard time reselling the good stuff.

save your money and go with the calcutta 400te. OR, go with a smaller reel (200 size) I know that people think that you will run out of line; but i seriously doubt that for many reasons.

good luck, and keep us posted on what you buy.

Dr. MindBendo
03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
I think I decided on Okuma Guide Series swimbait rod for $100 and Cardiff 300 for $90. What do you guys think?

Question first: I can get telescopic and non-telescopic rod. What's the difference? Which one would you go with?

I would go with the non-telescopic. Telescopic slides down for easier storage. I like the feel of a solid one piece rod for sensitivity.

If you're dealing with a lower budget then go with the Cardiff but in 400 size. If you're looking for better performance and budget is not to much an issue, then go with the low profile baitcaster like the Curado 300. Don't know your price range for a reel though? Both these reels are rated for 20 lb. mono line capacity and are well suited for 6" swimbaits.

DarkShadow
03-31-2011, 09:30 AM
i know there are a lot of choices out there and everyone has their opinion. But consider this...a california calico special from turners. I bought this rod about 8 years ago and NEVER used it until last week for throwing 8-9" swimbaits...and it was perfect. ...

anyways...consider it. I don't exactly remember what I paid for it or what they go for today, but I don't think they are much more than the Okuma.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?55181-Shimano-Reels-Californian-Rods-Other-Stuff-For-Sale

Ahem.

:-)

dqfish
03-31-2011, 02:24 PM

I have only heard good things about The okuma guide series i have never used one. But for reels i started with a cardiff, then i bought the 400te very different reel when winding in your bait with the TE its effortless compared to the cardiff and i also have a curado 300 and its very close to the TE what i like about the curado its very light and compact... Dont get me wrong the cardiff will work but for a few more bucks well more than a few you will get something that you wont want to replace. I think after a while with the cardiff you will want to upgrade and it all depends how many trips a year do you do with the big stuff if you only do a couple than you wont care but if your there 4 -5 times a month than thats when it matters for feel of your gear and wear and tear.

Surfnsnowboard3
04-03-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm stoked!

I got a Shimano Cumara and Powell Max swimbait rod. I already got some advice for reels, but that was a different rod. Now with these two rods, any recommendations for reels in $100-200 range.

Edit: after posting, I think I decided on Curado 300 for about $180. Question though, there's a Curado E7 for about the same price. What's the difference between E7 and 300? This is for Powell swimbait rod.

Now I need ideas for reel for Cumara rod? Same price range $100-200

Liteweight
04-12-2011, 02:41 AM
check ebay for some of the reels mentioned here.
I know Jimmy from OhYa sales. They are actually a tackle store in the marina of (can't remember which lake in Alabama/Georgia). He has a Curado 200E7(7:1) for $142.00 + free shipping. He also has the E5 (5:1) for about the same price. I've bought many rods & reels from him over the years. Bought Quantum's Tour Edition swimbait rods from him.
LW

dockboy
04-12-2011, 05:02 AM
You can pick up a Calcutta 400 B for a decent price on E-Bay and other similiar sites. New its about 200. I own a Cardiff 300, it has fished both finesse tuna bites and big swimbaits for several years without issue, provided you take care of it. Gearing is less than a Calcutta, but thats the tradeoff. As for the Okuma swimbait rods, you cant find a better rod for $100 to fish big baits. My 7'6" Heavy GS and 300 Cardiff has multiple 15-20lb tuna to its name. Not a Calcutta, but it fishes pretty well for being half the price of one.

I also prefer the round reels for bigger swimbaits. The Curado 300 is a fine big bait reel, but the ratio is too fast for most of the bigger baits. Watch Butch Brown fish a Hudd. He barely moves it along, and most the time I've found in swimbaiting that fishing anything faster than a slow crawl doesnt get bit consistently. There are times when they want say a Baitsmith type bait burned over grass, but most the time, its slow retrieves that get bit. Sure you can just reel slower, but when you have to move the reel so slow you lose your attention, why bother imo. Stick with a good 5:1 and that little bit of potential speed seems unimportant when you can fish in the zone mentally all day and not lose interest in the bait.

Small fast reels are fine for small swimbaits. If you are fishing the 6" BBZ, BBZ shad, 3:16 Minnows, Matt Lures, or any of the light, small baits than you can fish fast, a smaller 200 size reel is more than adequate.

I also wouldn't use anything smaller than a 300 for baits over 6". A 200 series Shimano can handle most 4-6" baits okay, but should you ever find yourself wanting to throw a Hudd or 10" Triple Trout, suddenly only having 80 yds. of 20lb means a whole lot more. Drags are typically more sturdy on 300 and over size reels, and this is where getting a Calcutta 400 pays off. That extra set of washers in the 400 series reels means you can pay drag out smoothly when a DD decides to run a bit on 25lb test.

Braid has been mentioned as a line option to fish a smaller reel. Maybe, but the thing I know about braid is what happens when you have an accident and suddenly that 6" Hudd goes rocketing away never to be seen again with only the "snap" of your braid parting to announce its departure. Mono is my choice for all swimbaits. Flouro is good too, but it has becomes fairly weak with abrasion and good flouro in 20-25lb is expensive. Better to learn the Uni-Uni or Blood knot and use flouro leaders on your mono if you need them.

tmartin
04-15-2011, 05:43 PM
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/iROD_Genesis_Series_Casting_Rods/descpage-IRGC.html

These irods are good swimbait rods and have three different models depending on what you throw. And they wont break the bank.