PDA

View Full Version : Trinidad TN16 vs International 12 single speed

oomicha3loo
03-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Which one do you like more?

tailsup1
03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Which one do you like more?

I have a TN16 and like it a lot. I fish it w/ 50# spectra and a topshot of 30# mono and/or flouro depending on the situation. Keep in mind the that the TN16 has a star drag system and the International 12 has a lever drag system. Generally speaking, a star drag system is better for casting and freespool while the lever drag system has it's advantages in the way you can "feather" and increase the drag during a fight.

If you're considering a reel for local purposes (3 B's, wsb, and paddy hopping) you'd probably like the TN16 better.

W/ the TN16 I've caught all the local stuff and the biggest fish being a 100lb. class bsb. The reel was fine. However, I've used it for offshore tuna down south for BFT's up to 40# range. Those fish, though I landed several, just beat me up due to the reel's higher ratio AND the fact that the rod I was using was just bottomed out (Seeker SD-8). I switched over to an Avet LX 2spd w/ a Seeker CJB65MH for the next several fish and was much more comfortable.

If you're simply in the shopping stage keep an eye for used Trinidads as people are selling them for good prices due to the release of the newer series ("A") Trinidads. If you're looking for a reel not so much for local stuff but for Guadalupe/Alijos sized fish then you'd probably be better off w/ the International but w/ 2spd.

Tails up,
Dale

oomicha3loo
03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
I have a TN16 and like it a lot. I fish it w/ 50# spectra and a topshot of 30# mono and/or flouro depending on the situation. Keep in mind the that the TN16 has a star drag system and the International 12 has a lever drag system. Generally speaking, a star drag system is better for casting and freespool while the lever drag system has it's advantages in the way you can "feather" and increase the drag during a fight.

If you're considering a reel for local purposes (3 B's, wsb, and paddy hopping) you'd probably like the TN16 better.

W/ the TN16 I've caught all the local stuff and the biggest fish being a 100lb. class bsb. The reel was fine. However, I've used it for offshore tuna down south for BFT's up to 40# range. Those fish, though I landed several, just beat me up due to the reel's higher ratio AND the fact that the rod I was using was just bottomed out (Seeker SD-8). I switched over to an Avet LX 2spd w/ a Seeker CJB65MH for the next several fish and was much more comfortable.

If you're simply in the shopping stage keep an eye for used Trinidads as people are selling them for good prices due to the release of the newer series ("A") Trinidads. If you're looking for a reel not so much for local stuff but for Guadalupe/Alijos sized fish then you'd probably be better off w/ the International but w/ 2spd.

Tails up,
Dale
Thanks for the input, I'm thinking about selling my 16 and getting a 2 speed (JX,MX or maybe accurate)

tailsup1
03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the input, I'm thinking about selling my 16 and getting a 2 speed (JX,MX or maybe accurate)

I see. Both reels (TN16 and small 2spd) definitely have they're place in the arsenal. If I could only have one of them then I'd go w/ a small 2spd like the JX/BX2-500 or MX/BX2-400. Better yet, if you have the opportunity to have BOTH then have 'em both.

oomicha3loo
03-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I see. Both reels (TN16 and small 2spd) definitely have they're place in the arsenal. If I could only have one of them then I'd go w/ a small 2spd like the JX/BX2-500 or MX/BX2-400. Better yet, if you have the opportunity to have BOTH then have 'em both.
I just picked up an 870 so imma get rid of my 16 and probably get a JX